{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: teaching english  (Read 29375 times)

Offline simon.2000

• http://buriramexpats.com/
teaching english
« on: August 11, 2012, 12:37:23 AM »
Hi I like to teach English and get back to Thailand , i not like it at all back in sunny UK...I have no degrees and no exp in teaching but I am English,( hope that helps) get me back to Thailand , this week be nice thought,( I wish),thanks for reading Simon

Offline Alan

• Active member on the right way
Re: teaching english
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 05:54:42 AM »
Hi Simon, your first requirement would be to learn English.... :D Only joking. thumbup. Have you any qualifications that may equal a degree such as NVQ etc. If so you could do a TEFL course in the UK. You will find plenty of info on the net. Best of luck.

Offline saf

• Contributor with future
    • Grumpy Expat Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 07:12:05 AM »
Also consider your future. Do you think that you might need a pension some day? Some fund or insurance to cover expensive medical bills?

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 08:47:44 AM »
This is a very good company for TEFL training. A friend and I both used them.

http://www.onlinetefl.com/

Offline simon.2000

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 02:34:26 AM »
Hi thanks for the advice ,,,and please keep it coming,,,,,I have already looked at web site and will have a good read over it in the week......

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 08:12:20 AM »
A TEFL course is not, and never has been, a requirement to teach in Thailand. It is a cash cow for those involved. Here is a list of the requirements to teach as of 12th February 2012:

1. Must not be less than 20 years of age.
2. Hold a Bachelor’s degree and benefits  education which certified by either the
Teachers’ Council of Thailand (TCT) or the Teacher Civil Service and Educational
Personnel Commission (TEPC) or the Civil Service Commission (CSC) or shown in
the list at The World of ALMANAC (the applicant may check your degree
certification at www.ksp.or.th by selecting “professional license section, foreign
teacher’s qualification check” or at the website of TEPC or CSC).
3. Having specific skills, abilities and knowledge needed for foreign teachers in the
teaching and learning of foreign language curriculum.
4. Verification of a passing score on the Test of TOEIC (except those who come from
5 countries: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, The United
States of America, Commonwealth of Australia, New Zealand and Canada) or passing
score on the other foreign language proficiency test. 

These requirements are a must to obtain Work Permit and Extension of stay.

If you were to teach in a language centre or a University,these rules would not apply, but they do apply for all Government and private schools.Universities will, though, also require a Degree.

This is part of the process for Thailand to meet, what is going to be, the ASEAN Education guidelines.

Hope this helps.

Offline saf

• Grumpy Expat Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 08:47:39 AM »
I understand that the qualifications are often waived. Examples I have been given are:

1. No degree.

2. Forged diplomas.

3. Work permit never applied for.

4. Poor English language skills, even amongst native English speakers.

5. Regional or national accents so strong that a Thai student would never be understood.

Offline Nobby

Re: teaching English
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 09:51:27 AM »
I understand that the qualifications are often waived. Examples I have been given are:

1. No degree.

2. Forged diplomas.

5. Regional or national accents so strong that a Thai student would never be understood.

Not an ideal way to start to integrate into a new country and it then leaves you wide open to abuse etc. especially as you have now intimated your intentions on the Inter-web to the world!
I suggest you go with Steve's udea's as he has valuable,up-to-date and relevant information.

This is starting to sound like a trollish thread. Your not called Jeff or Alan, by any chance are you?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:53:14 AM by Thaitanik »

Offline saf

• Grumpy Expat Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »

1. No degree.

2. Forged diplomas.

Not an ideal way to start to integrate into a new country and it then leaves you wide open to abuse etc. especially as you have now intimated your intentions on the Inter-web to the world!
I suggest you go with Steve's udea's as he has valuable,up-to-date and relevant information.

This is starting to sound like a trollish thread. Your not called Jeff or Alan, by any chance are you?

I hope you're not accusing me of trolling just because I tell it as it is, chap.

The list I gave is based on my own observations and what I have been told, not what I would do and not recommendations. If you are giving an enquirer information about the official requirements in the hope that he properly makes sure that he qualifies, then it's only right that he should know what's really going on in the corrupt world of expat. teacher recruitment. Otherwise, he may be aggrieved later to find that he has done the right thing but is then surrounded by cheats who get similar jobs and pay.

I have no intention of teaching English, with or without the appropriate qualifications. Who are Steve, Jeff and Alan?

Offline Nobby

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »

I have no intention of teaching English, with or without the appropriate qualifications

Good on ya! and I hope you succeed.

Offline saf

• Grumpy Expat Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 10:36:11 AM »

I have no intention of teaching English, with or without the appropriate qualifications

Good on ya! and I hope you succeed.

Are you trolling or flaming?

I wouldn't work in an environment where the pay is poor, the prospects are non-existent, there's no pension, health insurance is deficient, most students aren't interested and the authorities are interested only in making a show of having a foreign teacher or two. Most dedicated foreign teachers that I know are frustrated as hell. The satisfied ones often have poor English, don't give a damn and run after students.

Offline Nobby

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 10:44:12 AM »
Hi I like to teach English and get back to Thailand , i not like it at all back in sunny UK...I have no degrees and no exp in teaching but I am English,( hope that helps) get me back to Thailand , this week be nice thought,( I wish),thanks for reading Simon

I  am very sorry I misunderstood your original post. My apologies, as I am now confused if you do or don't want to teach in Thailand.

That xpat blog is an interesting read, thanks for the link  bravo1

Hows good 'ol Blighty on this fine night? Where do you hail from?

T
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:51:33 AM by Thaitanik »

Offline Alan

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 03:14:44 PM »

1. No degree.

2. Forged diplomas.

You obviously don't read all the thread no matter how short it is Thaitanik. Me Alan Who does not hid behind a user name posted the first reply. What a lovely example of a boring oppinionated x you are!
Simon came to this site for some advice and help if you have niether to offer move on.

Offline Nobby

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 04:44:46 PM »
PM sent to Alan

Offline Alan

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »
PM sent to Alan
PM recieved from Thaitanik who privately is sorry for confusing me with another person whom he feels abuses this forum. bravo1 PM returned to Thaitanik from me accepting his oppoligy with a preferance to him doing it publicly.  whistle Prior to me posting this he had plenty of time to do so before logging off.
Poor Simon2000, expressed a wish and only asked for some simple friendly advice, not lectures on his life plan or for his thread to be used by others as their que to throw some bitchy comments whilst hiding behind their keyboards.  slapfight congrats

Simon, take on the informative posts such as Starman. Maybe nothing to loose by stepping out of the UK for a while at the present moment! Please do think about making sure you have enough funds to cover an extended stay and return ticket as it can be more expensive and jobs not so easy to find as reported.  All the best to you in whatever you decide. Sorry for the spat on your thread. bike037
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:08:19 PM by Alan »

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM