{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: teaching english  (Read 29377 times)

Online Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: teaching english
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »
Might be better than returning to your home country, and perhaps 20 hours a week might be on offer.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 04:40:32 PM by Prakhonchai Nick »

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »
Agreed or  other related flexable work. I will say no more. Nudge Nudge!!!  party14 character4

Offline saf

• Contributor with future
    • Grumpy Expat Blog
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 05:22:21 PM »
A TEFL course is not, and never has been, a requirement to teach in Thailand. It is a cash cow for those involved. Here is a list of the requirements to teach as of 12th February 2012:

1. Must not be less than 20 years of age.
2. Hold a Bachelor’s degree and benefits  education which certified by either the
Teachers’ Council of Thailand (TCT) or the Teacher Civil Service and Educational
Personnel Commission (TEPC) or the Civil Service Commission (CSC) or shown in
the list at The World of ALMANAC (the applicant may check your degree
certification at www.ksp.or.th by selecting “professional license section, foreign
teacher’s qualification check” or at the website of TEPC or CSC).
3. Having specific skills, abilities and knowledge needed for foreign teachers in the
teaching and learning of foreign language curriculum.
4. Verification of a passing score on the Test of TOEIC (except those who come from
5 countries: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, The United
States of America, Commonwealth of Australia, New Zealand and Canada) or passing
score on the other foreign language proficiency test. 

These requirements are a must to obtain Work Permit and Extension of stay.

If you were to teach in a language centre or a University,these rules would not apply, but they do apply for all Government and private schools.Universities will, though, also require a Degree.

This is part of the process for Thailand to meet, what is going to be, the ASEAN Education guidelines.

Hope this helps.
Im sorry to disagree mate , at the moment (if your a Native speaker) all you need is a few school qualifications  that's it  , and yes maybe over 20 .I know this first hand as have a couple of meetings on my friends behalf with commissioning teachers . The Thai schools are crying out for teachers ,if your not a native speaker its not so easy .  You will also need a work permit .
I agree that schools are crying out for teachers. The reason being that the rules, as stated above, are real. If you cannot get permission to teach from the Teachers Council of Thailand you cannot get an extension of stay or a work permit. The teachers you have spoken to are likely unaware of this as it has only been in effect since February, as I previously stated. The school where I work have lost two teachers in the last 6 months because they could not get a provisional licence.

Try calling Immigration and ask them what documents are required to get an extension of stay. You could also call the labour department and ask what is required to get a work permit.

It is also possible that the teachers you were talking to were involved in the 10000baht incentive scheme. This is an idea from central government to get Native English Speakers into schools. The requirement is to work about 10 hours a week for 10000baht a month. For this kind of employment no documents are required.

Fake diplomas, or degrees, do not work anymore. As I stated above, all degrees need to be certified by the teachers council.

For those working illegally there are no benefits, as Saf stated. For those working legally, like myself, there are benefits. I am part of the Thai social security scheme, so I have free health care and I will receive a Thai pension. The money is also good.

All sounds very harsh, I know. The penalties for working illegally or trying to bribe yourself in are now big aswell. Recently, a guy was imprisoned for 3 month for using a fake degree, The only thing that stopped them from deporting him was that he had a wife and child here in Thailand.

In all good TIT fashion, just as Thailand needs an influx of Native English speaking teachers they close all the doors and make things very difficult.

To the OP...I would suggest getting some experience by teaching at language centres. Most of the work will be evenings and weekends. Cannot do it in Buriram though. Nackorn Ratchasima has a few centre. You may like to try there.

It's good to read that qualifications are being taken more seriously now. Perhaps the standards in Buriram were already higher but the frequency with which I hear of cheats in Korat is annoying. Perhaps government schools have always been hot on standards.

If anyone thought that I was suggesting cheating, I wasn't.

Offline Italiantony

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 07:29:45 PM »
[
Sorry Starman but are those figures that you have quoted above correct,because for 10 hours a week and 10,000 Baht a month hardly seems worthwhile.

At 250 Baht an hour it hardly gives someone an incentive to work.

If you're skint and want to remain in Thailand, there is an incentive.

Most Isaan Thais will only earn 250bt or less for a whole days work!
Well we are talking about native English speaking people so that counts out the local Issan community.

As for the SKINT European community i can only say that if they are in that financial situation,they need to repatriate them self back to there country of origin and work hard to make some savings.

Because without money in this life my friend you are nothing.

Online Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2012, 07:44:57 PM »
For some people with a small current income (and I am aware of at least 2)  an additional 10,000bt a month for a couple of hours work a day might possibly mean the difference between staying and leaving Thailand.

Bear in mind that some people with little money might be considered too old for any employment back in their home country.

Offline Italiantony

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2012, 08:09:51 PM »
For some people with a small current income (and I am aware of at least 2)  an additional 10,000bt a month for a couple of hours work a day might possibly mean the difference between staying and leaving Thailand.

Bear in mind that some people with little money might be considered too old for any employment back in their home country.
Yes i have to agree with you age is an important issue in this case.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 07:28:29 AM »
The majority of people that appear to be applying for these posts are indeed retired folk. Most are doing it to break up the monotony of daily life. Most agree that the 10000 baht also nicely converts into beer tokens.

Offline Nobby

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »
The majority of people that appear to be applying for these posts are indeed retired folk. Most are doing it to break up the monotony of daily life. Most agree that the 10000 baht also nicely converts into beer tokens.

Sounds a worthwhile way to spend some time, as long as the 'beer tokens' don't affect performance.

Offline Nobby

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »

Sounds a worthwhile way to spend some time, as long as the 'beer tokens' don't affect performance. I guess that has been a downfall sometimes with farangs????

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »

Sounds a worthwhile way to spend some time, as long as the 'beer tokens' don't affect performance. I guess that has been a downfall sometimes with farangs????

..................and Thais don't drink ??

Offline Nobby

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2012, 12:17:18 PM »
.................and Thais don't drink ??

rolleyesbar Fair comment but I was staying on topic about Farang Engrish teachers  buttslap

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick