{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: teaching english  (Read 29376 times)

Offline saf

• Contributor with future
    • Grumpy Expat Blog
Re: teaching english
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 08:26:45 PM »
What's going on here FFS?

Someone asks a question, saying that he isn't qualified for the job. He gets  advice appropriate for some one who does have the qualifications. He gets advice about the scams being pulled and the dangers of locking yourself into this country with no financial future.

That's fine but what is all this trolling and PM stuff?

Offline Alan

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »
OMG!.......its got to be something to do with the rainy season. loco

Offline saf

• Grumpy Expat Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 09:08:27 PM »
No excuse. It happens every year.

Did the OP want tourist level advice or real advice? He's contemplating a life a changing decision and, perhaps, wants to know truth.

Offline Alan

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 09:47:57 PM »
Did I dispute that with you Saf?
You are assuming Simon is contemplating a life changing decision when he may just wants to get out of the UK for the moment and with the present ecconomic situation in the UK who would blame him. It appears he is well aware of the working restrictions in Thailand and hence his reference to teaching English even though he lacks the qualifications. 
Regarding telling the truth and true representation, I find your opinion of english teachers in Buriram quite appauling and in truth, wonder where you have met these people? The guys I know that have made a success and long term living out of teaching are upstanding, succesful members of society, nothing like the bad misfits you suggest and promote for Buriram!

Offline Alanthebuilder

• Reliable reporter with future.
  • Alan the Builder
    • Alan The Builder : Build a house in Thailand
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »
A TEFL course is not, and never has been, a requirement to teach in Thailand. It is a cash cow for those involved. Here is a list of the requirements to teach as of 12th February 2012:

1. Must not be less than 20 years of age.
2. Hold a Bachelor’s degree and benefits  education which certified by either the
Teachers’ Council of Thailand (TCT) or the Teacher Civil Service and Educational
Personnel Commission (TEPC) or the Civil Service Commission (CSC) or shown in
the list at The World of ALMANAC (the applicant may check your degree
certification at www.ksp.or.th by selecting “professional license section, foreign
teacher’s qualification check” or at the website of TEPC or CSC).
3. Having specific skills, abilities and knowledge needed for foreign teachers in the
teaching and learning of foreign language curriculum.
4. Verification of a passing score on the Test of TOEIC (except those who come from
5 countries: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, The United
States of America, Commonwealth of Australia, New Zealand and Canada) or passing
score on the other foreign language proficiency test. 

These requirements are a must to obtain Work Permit and Extension of stay.

If you were to teach in a language centre or a University,these rules would not apply, but they do apply for all Government and private schools.Universities will, though, also require a Degree.

This is part of the process for Thailand to meet, what is going to be, the ASEAN Education guidelines.

Hope this helps.
Im sorry to disagree mate , at the moment (if your a Native speaker) all you need is a few school qualifications  that's it  , and yes maybe over 20 .I know this first hand as have a couple of meetings on my friends behalf with commissioning teachers . The Thai schools are crying out for teachers ,if your not a native speaker its not so easy .  You will also need a work permit .
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:53:33 PM by Alanthebuilder »

Offline Alan

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 10:30:54 PM »
Hi Alan,
I think Starman is quoting Thailand Government policy rather than what can be achieved. It is a worry that any tom dick or harry that is a native english speaker can and does get employment within rural Thailand schools and whilst it may satisfy the employer and the employee it is far from satisfactory to the student if the teacher turns out to be a third grade drop out. Children of any society deserve a teacher that is compitant and inspired.
I considered TEFL myself as a way of learning to teach rather than just a certificated way in to teaching. Whilst some TEFL courses may just be money making scammers I would not agree with Starman that all are, although I do wonder how a person can could learn class teaching skills via the internet. If I were to choose a TEFL corse I think attending a class course would be the most benificial to me but still undecided if I am suited to this career.

Offline Alanthebuilder

• Reliable reporter with future.
  • Alan the Builder
    • Alan The Builder : Build a house in Thailand
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 04:47:21 AM »
I agree totally .

Offline saf

• Grumpy Expat Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 07:20:48 AM »
Did I dispute that with you Saf?
You are assuming Simon is contemplating a life changing decision when he may just wants to get out of the UK for the moment and with the present ecconomic situation in the UK who would blame him. It appears he is well aware of the working restrictions in Thailand and hence his reference to teaching English even though he lacks the qualifications. 
Regarding telling the truth and true representation, I find your opinion of english teachers in Buriram quite appauling and in truth, wonder where you have met these people? The guys I know that have made a success and long term living out of teaching are upstanding, succesful members of society, nothing like the bad misfits you suggest and promote for Buriram!

Ah, did I accidentally tread on some corns?

Simon didn't say whether he intended a long stay or a short one.

I didn't mention Buriram and I've no idea what might be the quality of English language teachers there. I didn't say that every teacher was a 'misfit' but pointed out the rule bending that I am often told is going on and which results in unsuitable people getting jobs. If most teachers in Bururam are properly qualified, happy with the school regime and have dedicated students who want to learn, that's great and reassuring.

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 07:27:19 AM »
PM sent to Alan

Sorry for the misunderstanding 'Alan' I posted a misleading post that some might think I was refering to you, the BE member with the nickname 'Alan, I was not, I was referring to a compulsive troll who lives no-where near Buriram but goes on this forum in many different names just to upset everyone.

My Appologies

bike038 bike037 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 12:15:38 PM »
A TEFL course is not, and never has been, a requirement to teach in Thailand. It is a cash cow for those involved. Here is a list of the requirements to teach as of 12th February 2012:

2. Hold a Bachelor’s degree and benefits  education which certified by either the
Teachers’ Council of Thailand (TCT) or the Teacher Civil Service and Educational
certification at www.ksp.or.th by selecting “professional license section, foreign
3. Having specific skills, abilities and knowledge needed for foreign teachers in the
4. Verification of a passing score on the Test of TOEIC (except those who come from
5 countries: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, The United
States of America, Commonwealth of Australia, New Zealand and Canada) or passing

If you were to teach in a language centre or a University,these rules would not apply, but they do apply for all Government and private schools.Universities will, though, also require a Degree.

This is part of the process for Thailand to meet, what is going to be, the ASEAN Education guidelines.

Hope this helps.
Im sorry to disagree mate , at the moment (if your a Native speaker) all you need is a few school qualifications  that's it  , and yes maybe over 20 .I know this first hand as have a couple of meetings on my friends behalf with commissioning teachers . The Thai schools are crying out for teachers ,if your not a native speaker its not so easy .  You will also need a work permit .
I agree that schools are crying out for teachers. The reason being that the rules, as stated above, are real. If you cannot get permission to teach from the Teachers Council of Thailand you cannot get an extension of stay or a work permit. The teachers you have spoken to are likely unaware of this as it has only been in effect since February, as I previously stated. The school where I work have lost two teachers in the last 6 months because they could not get a provisional licence.

Try calling Immigration and ask them what documents are required to get an extension of stay. You could also call the labour department and ask what is required to get a work permit.

It is also possible that the teachers you were talking to were involved in the 10000baht incentive scheme. This is an idea from central government to get Native English Speakers into schools. The requirement is to work about 10 hours a week for 10000baht a month. For this kind of employment no documents are required.

Fake diplomas, or degrees, do not work anymore. As I stated above, all degrees need to be certified by the teachers council.

For those working illegally there are no benefits, as Saf stated. For those working legally, like myself, there are benefits. I am part of the Thai social security scheme, so I have free health care and I will receive a Thai pension. The money is also good.

All sounds very harsh, I know. The penalties for working illegally or trying to bribe yourself in are now big aswell. Recently, a guy was imprisoned for 3 month for using a fake degree, The only thing that stopped them from deporting him was that he had a wife and child here in Thailand.

In all good TIT fashion, just as Thailand needs an influx of Native English speaking teachers they close all the doors and make things very difficult.

To the OP...I would suggest getting some experience by teaching at language centres. Most of the work will be evenings and weekends. Cannot do it in Buriram though. Nackorn Ratchasima has a few centre. You may like to try there.

Offline Italiantony

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »

Hope this helps.

It is also possible that the teachers you were talking to were involved in the 10000baht incentive scheme. This is an idea from central government to get Native English Speakers into schools. The requirement is to work about 10 hours a week for 10000baht a month. For this kind of employment no documents are required.

Sorry Starman but are those figures that you have quoted above correct,because for 10 hours a week and 10,000 Baht a month hardly seems worthwhile.

At 250 Baht an hour it hardly gives someone an incentive to work.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:54:08 PM by Italiantony »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »
Yes. 10000(ten thousand) baht a month for about 10 hours a week.

Offline Italiantony

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »
Yes. 10000(ten thousand) baht a month for about 10 hours a week.
Ok thank you.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 01:37:56 PM »
[
Sorry Starman but are those figures that you have quoted above correct,because for 10 hours a week and 10,000 Baht a month hardly seems worthwhile.

At 250 Baht an hour it hardly gives someone an incentive to work.

If you're skint and want to remain in Thailand, there is an incentive.

Most Isaan Thais will only earn 250bt or less for a whole days work!

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »
Most Isaan Thais will only earn 250bt or less for a whole days work!

Very true but how many of us farangs could honestly live as spartan as a Thai villager???

I suspect you or I couldn't PN.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM