{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: A Naive Expat in Thailand  (Read 139774 times)

Offline swimming pizza

• Contributor with future
  • amazing thailand.
Re: A Naive Expat in Thailand
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2010, 09:49:08 AM »
Those students are underage,be careful. biglaugh
The uni girls are looking good too. preferably the ones with the grey skirt if in the right size. thumbup

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2010, 03:31:22 PM »
Those students are underage,be careful. biglaugh
The uni girls are looking good too. preferably the ones with the grey skirt if in the right size. thumbup

Can't say I have ever noticed! ;) :wub:

TBWG sawadi

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2010, 09:53:59 PM »
Hey ADMIN

This thread  is rapidly approaching the 6,000 views mark, that must be some sort of record surely?

I would like to suggest to mark this monumental occasion BE put a Methuselah of Archa on ice for my consumption! party12

I will call in to collect as soon as 6,000 mark is surpassed.

TBWG sawadi

Hey these bottle sizes are pretty dang funky.... think at 10,000 it will have to be a Nebuchadnezzar of Archa! bananadance broccoli1 bananadance broccoli1

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2010, 10:18:36 PM »
 מְתוּשָׁלַח
Say the place and it will be waiting for you there.
You'll have to work harder..  giggle

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2010, 01:07:09 AM »
מְתוּשָׁלַח
Say the place and it will be waiting for you there.
You'll have to work harder..  giggle

Hey Admin why not upgrade to a נבוכדנצר

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2010, 03:54:42 AM »

Hi Bums

Having just replied to a thread regarding rabies on the forum I thought it would be worth repeating my experiences for the benefit of others, without being dramatic you never know one day it could save your life!

One night after a few bottles of that golden nectar Archa my senses were probably a bit numbed,  blinkbar but whilst cycling home from the market out of nowhere appeared a black shadow that bit through my crocs and drew blood from my little pinky. runningdog

The black shadow turned out to be a bloody great Rottweiler, who in truth could have probably removed a leg with equal ease!

The owner who was exercising it nearby now gave it a dang good thrashing with a big stick and took it to his nearby home, I followed at a safe distance to see where he lived and then pedaled off home as fast as my legs would go to get the Boss lady.

However, she insisted in washing said pinky and painting it with that brown gunk in a little yellow bottle before doing anything else, all the while muttering that I could not be trusted out unaccompanied after dark!

The boss lady informs me that if you are bitten by a dog the owner has to pay for any medication and you can apply to the local police and insist that the animal is put down. Now as it happened at the time we owned a pooch, yes you have guessed it ~~~ a rottweiler and I happen to believe that they are very intelligent and not naturally aggressive unless trained to be or badly treated. Next to the boss lady, Lizzie my rotti is my next favorite bitch!

I did not want to be responsible for having the animal put down but was concerned about the fact that this guy was exercising the dog next to a school and we have all heard stories about pitbulls etc and kids!

So we paid the owner a visit and the boss lady gave him a verbal lashing, I felt a bit sorry for the guy he had just returned from Bangkok where he was finding it difficult to earn a living and  was going to sell bananas to make his fortune!

Well after lots of wai-ing and groveling he agrees that he will not let said dog out unless on a leash and agrees to pay for any treatment I may have.

Now I am quiet relaxed, I had had a tetanus jab a few months earlier and assume I have nothing to worry about,  but just in case I PM a nurse on Thaivisa and ask her advice.

Next day I get a reply telling me to get my a**e down the hospital ASAP as if I left it untreated and the dog was a carrier my only other option was death! character5

She now puts the fear of God into me as she says a large proportion of dogs in Thailand are rabies carriers and even if the dog was well looked after it will almost certainly at sometime in its life have got out and mixed with soi dogs who could easily be carriers. Having seen some of the mangy flea bitten mutts in the area this is not hard to believe.

To be continued.........................

Offline wildoates

« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2010, 01:50:31 PM »

Hi Bums

Having just replied to a thread regarding rabies on the forum I thought it would be worth repeating my experiences for the benefit of others, without being dramatic you never know one day it could save your life!

One night after a few bottles of that golden nectar Archa my senses were probably a bit numbed,  blinkbar but whilst cycling home from the market out of nowhere appeared a black shadow that bit through my crocs and drew blood from my little pinky. runningdog

The black shadow turned out to be a bloody great Rottweiler, who in truth could have probably removed a leg with equal ease!

The owner who was exercising it nearby now gave it a dang good thrashing with a big stick and took it to his nearby home, I followed at a safe distance to see where he lived and then pedaled off home as fast as my legs would go to get the Boss lady.

However, she insisted in washing said pinky and painting it with that brown gunk in a little yellow bottle before doing anything else, all the while muttering that I could not be trusted out unaccompanied after dark!

The boss lady informs me that if you are bitten by a dog the owner has to pay for any medication and you can apply to the local police and insist that the animal is put down. Now as it happened at the time we owned a pooch, yes you have guessed it ~~~ a rottweiler and I happen to believe that they are very intelligent and not naturally aggressive unless trained to be or badly treated. Next to the boss lady, Lizzie my rotti is my next favorite bitch!

I did not want to be responsible for having the animal put down but was concerned about the fact that this guy was exercising the dog next to a school and we have all heard stories about pitbulls etc and kids!

So we paid the owner a visit and the boss lady gave him a verbal lashing, I felt a bit sorry for the guy he had just returned from Bangkok where he was finding it difficult to earn a living and  was going to sell bananas to make his fortune!

Well after lots of wai-ing and groveling he agrees that he will not let said dog out unless on a leash and agrees to pay for any treatment I may have.

Now I am quiet relaxed, I had had a tetanus jab a few months earlier and assume I have nothing to worry about,  but just in case I PM a nurse on Thaivisa and ask her advice.

Next day I get a reply telling me to get my a**e down the hospital ASAP as if I left it untreated and the dog was a carrier my only other option was death! character5

She now puts the fear of God into me as she says a large proportion of dogs in Thailand are rabies carriers and even if the dog was well looked after it will almost certainly at sometime in its life have got out and mixed with soi dogs who could easily be carriers. Having seen some of the mangy flea bitten mutts in the area this is not hard to believe.

Intersting........ I have heard many times where they go through with treatment for rabies, but have always wondered why they don't test the dog first?

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2010, 12:38:50 AM »

Interesting........ I have heard many times where they go through with treatment for rabies, but have always wondered why they don't test the dog first?

Hi Mike

Would you want to try and catch a dog that has just bitten you? Let alone stick a needle in it or whatever they have to do to test it! confused4

That reminds me of catching the snake thats just bitten you and taking it to hospital so they know what serum to use character5 ~~~ Easier said than done!

TBWG sawadi

dave the dude

« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2010, 02:29:17 PM »
In the private hospital they keep pickled specimen snakes in jars for identification purposes!

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2010, 03:26:44 PM »
In the private hospital they keep pickled specimen snakes in jars for identification purposes!

Or For Lunch hungry1

TBWG sawadi

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2010, 08:12:24 PM »

Hi Bums

Here go's............................

Well having put the fear of God in me I begin to think about an incident many years ago.

My ex wifes sister worked for the charity Save The Children and along with her best friend was packed off to Bangladesh to set up a health center. character5 The best friend was bitten by a rabid child and had to undergo a series of anti rabies injections as part of the course. This involved a bloody great needle being inserted in the stomach which apparently is extremely painful. Now I have a very low threshold to pain and the thought of this does not appeal to me at all. However I was extremely relieved to hear that the treatment has progressed considerably and I would only feel a little prick! nono

As an aside the Rabies/treatment left the nurse with kidney damage and associated life long health problems.

So off I go to the local hospital with the Boss Lady who starts ordering people about  newargue and getting me instant attention. A very attractive female doctor who looks about 18 prescribes the necessary treatment and I kind of hope that she is going to jab me in the butt!  No deal!
First you have got to pay for it and collect it from the in house pharmacy then go to emergency department to have it administered, all done and dusted in about 30 minutes.

However, now a problem, you have to have the jabs in a sequence (can't remember exactly) but something like another after 3 days then 7 days 14 days etc. Well I am off to Nong Khai on a visa run the next day as well as a few days break in Vientiane so have to take all the medication with me in a cool box and visit local clinics on the way!  The next jab is due on a Sunday whilst in Nong Khai. Obviously people up there do not get ill at weekends as I find myself almost alone in the hospital emergency room apart from one other Thai gentleman sitting there holding the same meds as me.

Well this happened a year or so ago and I am still here so all is well, if however I had been bitten by a rabid dog and had not had any treatment, I was told it would take 90 days for the bacteria to make its way to my brain and upon arrival would turn me into a cabbage whilst suffering an extremely unpleasant demise.

The cost of the course of medication was just over Baht 2,000 from local gov't hospital (paid for by dog owner)

Moral  ~~~ Where rabies is concerned better safe than dead!

Don' you just love Thailand

TBWG sawadi

Offline lahansai

« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2010, 06:18:20 PM »
The cost of the course of medication was just over Baht 2,000 from local gov't hospital (paid for by dog owner)

you are lucky it ended up this way.  fastclapping

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2010, 03:02:39 AM »
Hi Bums

Snakes & Ladders Soil

Well the Boss Lady has decided she wants a new lawn, you know one of those Malaysia grass jobs which apparently it is difficult to kill.  Bearing in mind I have managed to ruin 2 previous attempts of normal type grass perhaps this is a shrewd move.

But this time I will do it properly and put down some decent soil. I soon come to the conclusion it is going to cost a small fortune if I buy those small 5kg 20 baht bags from the nursery, so I call the telephone number on the bag and see if we can buy it wholesale. When I say call I mean the Boss Lady gives them a ring and tells them what they have to do!

It transpires that they will supply 20kg larger bags at a much discounted rate but you have to have a lorry load to make it worth while for them to deliver as they come from Lop Buri,  so that means about 300 bags.

So I bite the bullet and order a lorry load, well it arrives 2 days later along with the owner of the company who personally takes payment before his 2 labourers unload the sacks, credit were credit is due they distribute half the sacks randomly over the area where I intend to lay the lawn and stack the others in the sala. Now shifting 300 20kg sacks is no mean task so when finished I break out a few cans of beer which they eagerly consume before pushing off.  alcoholic

I soon discover that cutting and emptying 150 20kg bags is a knackering job but spread it over a few days to make it easier on the blisters.  party13

Anyway,  the point of this post is not about laying a lawn but about creating a snake magnet i.e. 150 bags stacked in the sala that appears to be an attractive home for all sorts of creatures who over the next few days take up residence.  I should also explain that on our land snakes are tolerated not killed as they keep down vermin and I quite like them, maybe I would have a different attitude if we had small kids but our house is a sprog free zone!

Anyway apart from providing shelter for the usual toads and ching chucks we also attracted Checkered Keelbacks, Bronzebacks and Rat snakes. The Keelback is non venomous but is a wanabee cobra and can be aggressive so the father in law insisted on chasing it out of the garden, made him happy but it was back within a few hours!  Well this pile of sacks provided a diminishing home for all and sundry for a few weeks whilst the rest of the soil was distributed round the garden, the snakes then made themselves scarce!

A few pics ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TBWG sawadi

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline buriramboy

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2010, 03:11:51 PM »
good luck with the new lawn do you have many snakes around the house? also would like to know what is the best solution to keep away this kind of animals like snakes, mouse and others from the house area? someone advised keeping cat in yard............  redbite confused4

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2010, 10:35:27 PM »
good luck with the new lawn do you have many snakes around the house? also would like to know what is the best solution to keep away this kind of animals like snakes, mouse and others from the house area? someone advised keeping cat in yard............  redbite confused4

Hi BB

What I have found is that if you have a lot of clutter around the grounds then it will attract all sorts of livestock who want to make it their home!

The odd rate snake which is quite harmless and shy will keep vermin down ~~~ as for a cat they need feeding and a lot of looking after in this climate so I prefer the snake option.

TBWG sawadi

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Dentist by Thai Bart
June 13, 2024, 11:34:50 AM

Re: House moving by Gerry
June 11, 2024, 03:39:27 PM

House moving by GEOFFREY
June 11, 2024, 01:51:03 AM

Re: Dentist by dundeemk6
June 09, 2024, 03:49:48 PM