{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: What is the best way to get to Nong Khai from Buriram?  (Read 11202 times)

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: What is the best way to get to Nong Khai from Buriram?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 10:06:47 PM »
Cambodia is notorious for being slow. Sometimes a 4 day wait from date of application.

He has already noted that he can't be away for too long.

The yellow bus is fine. If you happen to get their new double decker VIP it is a great ride.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 11:28:22 PM »
Cambodia is notorious for being slow. Sometimes a 4 day wait from date of application.

He has already noted that he can't be away for too long.

The yellow bus is fine. If you happen to get their new double decker VIP it is a great ride.

OK, where did he say he can't wait too long?  He mentions May, 3 weeks from now. 

You were on such a roll. 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 07:38:12 AM »
Thank you for the detailed information, Starman.  I would prefer to go to Savannakhet, but I'm very leery.  I want to apply for a double-entry tourist visa, and although Vientiane has never been my favorite travel destination, I have always received my requests at the consulate there in the past.  I have read that Savannakhet is not as good a bet for requesting a double-entry tourist visa, that sometimes they issue them when one would expect and sometimes they don't. Whichever city I go to, it's going to cost me a lot of money and hassle, because I need to arrange for someone to take care of my dogs at home for the days I'm gone.  What I really, really don't want is to put out that money and hassle and then be refused a double-entry tourist visa for no apparent reason in Savannakhet.  Even though it's further and more trouble, I would rather invest that money and hassle in treking to Vientiane, because it has always worked in the past.

Does anyone know how the best way to get to Nong Khai from here?

This sentence suggests that he would like to be there and back as soon as possible.

Not quite sure what you mean about being on a roll. I was simply advising what is probably the least hassle, cheapest and quickest service.I did that because reading between the lines, in the quoted post, that is exactly what he was asking for.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:41:00 AM by Starman »

Offline Mitch Iwichiwa

• Contributor with future
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 08:51:28 AM »
:- )  Yes, if Mitch had 30,000 baht to burn, he would probably just fly to the States and visit his family, too.  Yeah, I need to go quickly and cheaply. 

Starman, there is a consensus in other places that the consulate's cut off time for visa applications is now 11:00 AM rather than noon.  Do you think the 3AM bus will cut it too short?  I would love to spend only one night, but don't know if 2 hours is really enough time to get across the border and to the consulate.  Any thoughts?

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 06:50:38 PM »
That's the first I have heard of an 11 am cut off.

Anyway, the three times I have made this trip I have always arrived at the consulate by about 10am.

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 10:32:01 AM »
I did the Savannakhet run about 1 year ago, and it was 11am cut off at Consulate on 1st day, then 2pm pickup on 2nd day.

I drove my car from Buriram to Mukdahan, overnighted in Mukdahan, then parked my car free at the Thai side of the bridge at 8am and caught the scheduled bus over the bridge. Lao Immigration formalities took about 30mins, then hop a tuktuk direct to Thai Consulate in Savannakhet.(100 baht for 10min ride, and they all know where the farang wants to go without saying a word !)

2pm passport pickup on 2nd day only took about 10mins, then tuktuk back to bridge. Beaut big Duty Free store on Lao side, then onto bus across the bridge. 10min Thai Immigration formalities, then 100m walk to my car by 3.15pm

Was home in Buriram about 10pm

Offline Mitch Iwichiwa

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 04:09:43 PM »
Great info.  Thanks all.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 07:43:03 AM »
Thanks Smooth2.

Useful for me too. I will be going some time in June.

Offline Mitch Iwichiwa

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 06:34:19 PM »
Just reporting back that the trip to Savannakhet worked out well.  Thanks for twisting my arm a little.  The only part that was a bit nip and tuck was the darn bridge bus.  Even though the yellow bus left pretty late out of Buriram, it still got to Mukdahan by 9:00.  Tuktuk to the bridge was no problem.  But that darn bridge bus only leaves once an hour at that time of day according to the written schedule.  If you just miss one, you basically lose an hour waiting.  Even though I had to wait a long time for that, I still got to the Consulate by 10:30.  I got in line and was at the window at 10:57.  :- ) 

Lin's Cafe was very pleasant.  Good food at fair prices in a relaxing atmosphere, and great tasting coffee.

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 10:57:54 PM »
See See, I rode a Yellow Bus once, now only do NCA, rent a van/driver, or drive myself.   

Comfort is very important to me. 

That being said, if I had to do a visa run to another country and the Yellow bus was the most viable alternative, I would probably take it. 

However, if I was Mitch, I would go hog wild.  I would fly to Bangkok, then fly to Phnom Penh spent a few days and make a vacation out of it.  Yea cost maybe 20-30,000 baht more, but enjoy life while you can.

How you going to fly from Buriram to Bangkok as NokAir has stooped all flights from Buriram until at lest  July? buttslap

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 06:31:03 AM »
See See, I rode a Yellow Bus once, now only do NCA, rent a van/driver, or drive myself.   

Comfort is very important to me. 

That being said, if I had to do a visa run to another country and the Yellow bus was the most viable alternative, I would probably take it. 

However, if I was Mitch, I would go hog wild.  I would fly to Bangkok, then fly to Phnom Penh spent a few days and make a vacation out of it.  Yea cost maybe 20-30,000 baht more, but enjoy life while you can.

How you going to fly from Buriram to Bangkok as NokAir has stooped all flights from Buriram until at lest  July? buttslap

Because when I made that post Nok Air was still flying. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick