{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: What is the best way to get to Nong Khai from Buriram?  (Read 11214 times)

Offline Mitch Iwichiwa

• Contributor with future
What is the best way to get to Nong Khai from Buriram?
« on: April 09, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »
Hello-

I'll need to apply for a new visa in Vientiene, probably in May but maybe before.  How do people in Buriram usually travel to the border at Nong Khai?  Is there a bus that goes fairly straight north without going to Korat first?  Do I have to go to Korat and change buses?  I phoned Nakorn Chai, but they only have buses from Bangkok to Nong Khai, and they don't stop in Korat.  There appears to be only one train stopping in Korat going on to Nong Khai, and it's a slow, ordinary train, so I've tentatively written off using the train.  I'm worried about safety taking a non-Nakorn Chai bus, but the only way to use them would be to go all the way to Bangkok and then backtrack significantly before continuing north to Nong Khai. 

How do people in Buriram usually do this?  Thanks for any information.

-Mitch
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:46:48 PM by Mitch Iwichiwa »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: What is the best way to get to Nong Khai from Buriram?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »
Take the Big yellow bus to Mukdahan. Then cross the river and go to Savannakhet. The consulate there is also better than Vientiene in my opinion.

Buses leave Buriram at 3pm or 3am. If you take the 3am bus then it should get you to Mukdahan at about 9am. That gives you time to get across the bridge, buses available at Mukdahan, and get through both sets of immigration and to the consulate in Savanakhet, by tuk tuk, in time for the 12 midday deadline.

Find a nice room for rent, Leema guest house is very good and only about 350baht a night. Have a walk around and have a few cold Beer Lao. Go back to consulate next day at 1pm for your passport.

There is a bus that leaves Mukdahan at 5pm. That should get you back in Buriram about 11pm.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:26:26 PM by Starman »

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »
Take the Big yellow bus to Mukdahan. Then cross the river and go to Savannakhet. The consulate there is also better than Vientiene in my opinion.

Buses leave Buriram at 3pm or 3am. If you take the 3am bus then it should get you to Mukdahan at about 9am. That gives you time to get across the bridge, buses available at Mukdahan, and get through both sets of immigration and to the consulate in Savanakhet, by tuk tuk, in time for the 12 midday deadline.

Find a nice room for rent, Leema guest house is very good and only about 350baht a night. Have a walk around and have a few cold Beer Lao. Go back to consulate next day at 1pm for your passport.

There is a bus that leaves Mukdahan at 5pm. That should get you back in Buriram about 11pm.

I'm impressed.  Good info.     Think the Op should buy you a beer based on that excellent information.   party4

Offline Mitch Iwichiwa

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 07:12:18 PM »
Thank you for the detailed information, Starman.  I would prefer to go to Savannakhet, but I'm very leery.  I want to apply for a double-entry tourist visa, and although Vientiane has never been my favorite travel destination, I have always received my requests at the consulate there in the past.  I have read that Savannakhet is not as good a bet for requesting a double-entry tourist visa, that sometimes they issue them when one would expect and sometimes they don't.  Whichever city I go to, it's going to cost me a lot of money and hassle, because I need to arrange for someone to take care of my dogs at home for the days I'm gone.  What I really, really don't want is to put out that money and hassle and then be refused a double-entry tourist visa for no apparent reason in Savannakhet.  Even though it's further and more trouble, I would rather invest that money and hassle in treking to Vientiane, because it has always worked in the past.

Does anyone know how the best way to get to Nong Khai from here?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:14:57 PM by Mitch Iwichiwa »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:22:05 PM »
I have, in the last two years, never heard of anyone being refused a double entry in Savannakhet.

The main point would be how many double entries you have already had and did you extend them in Thailand too?

If you have never been to Savannakhet before then they should not refuse.

You have basically answered your own question about "How to get to Nong Khai?".

Offline Mitch Iwichiwa

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:32:11 PM »
Well, I did a little more reading on the net and now you've got me thinking I should indeed go to Savannakhet.  There are a lot of accounts of people going there, and I'm not coming across any recent reports of unexplained denials.  Thanks again for the detailed plans.

The other wrench in the matter is that depending on the timing, I may be applying for a non-immigrant visa rather than a tourist visa, if my next employer can have the paperwork prepared in time.  Have you heard if Savannakhet is recommended for non-immigrant visa applications as well?

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 07:35:34 PM »
If all documents are in order, Savannakhet will quite happily issue a Non B single entry.

Offline Mitch Iwichiwa

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 07:54:32 PM »
Thanks.  What's the "big yellow bus" like?  Is it a full size bus, or is it easily decimated in an accident?  Are the Beatles on board?  Oh wait, that's their submarine...  No air-con I'm guessing... 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 07:57:09 PM »
Thanks.  What's the "big yellow bus" like?  Is it a full size bus, or is it easily decimated in an accident?  Are the Beatles on board?  Oh wait, that's their submarine...  No air-con I'm guessing... 

I will assume the yellow bus is the same as I took to Patts.  It has AC.  However, they can oversell it and put seats (plastic stools) down the middle so going to the toilet can be difficult. 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 07:59:44 PM »
Full air con. Big VIP bus. Probably second in comfort, only NCA better.

Two different routes. One goes from Buriram and the other goes from Nang Rong.

Offline Mitch Iwichiwa

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 08:15:51 PM »
Wow, that's great.  Thanks a lot Starman and Urleft.  The trip should be less of a headache thanks to your help.

Offline BillH52

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 09:05:02 PM »
Having made this crossing in the past, would suggest particular attention to Starmans suggestion - "Leema guest house is very good".     

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 09:24:05 PM »
I appreciate the thanks Mitch, but my contributions were minimal at best.  Starman is the hero here.  I rode a bus, starman did the deed. 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »
I rode the bus too. More than once.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 09:53:59 PM »
See See, I rode a Yellow Bus once, now only do NCA, rent a van/driver, or drive myself.   

Comfort is very important to me. 

That being said, if I had to do a visa run to another country and the Yellow bus was the most viable alternative, I would probably take it. 

However, if I was Mitch, I would go hog wild.  I would fly to Bangkok, then fly to Phnom Penh spent a few days and make a vacation out of it.  Yea cost maybe 20-30,000 baht more, but enjoy life while you can. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick