{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: USD tanking against Thai baht.  (Read 196624 times)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: USD tanking against Thai baht.
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2014, 10:25:21 PM »
I actually have about a 60 day window before I will need the money, and can probably even fudge that. 

So I am checking twice daily.  Also that transferring on Friday is a gamble because it won't be processed in Thailand until the next bank open day.   

However, if the rate spikes at an opportune time I am prepped to take advantage of it.  But Thanks for the 13 May imput as that could affect what I do. 

Offline davu

• Prolific Member
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2014, 06:50:36 AM »
Just to put things into perspective (and make me feel better) the Swiss Frank which one year ago was at 30.5 is now flirting with 37.0.

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »
I actually have about a 60 day window before I will need the money, and can probably even fudge that. 

So I am checking twice daily.  Also that transferring on Friday is a gamble because it won't be processed in Thailand until the next bank open day.   

However, if the rate spikes at an opportune time I am prepped to take advantage of it.  But Thanks for the 13 May imput as that could affect what I do.

Were both keeping an eye on it.

xe 32.53  SR 32.42  TT 32.42 banks r open today.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2014, 09:29:40 AM »

Supper Bitch 32.42 Punters,tourist

TT  32.35 electronic transfer,most of us.

Xe 32.49 those that play the Internationale exchange.

Thank you for that commentary. 

However, the reason I quote super rich is because they are usually the leader in posting rate changes.  So tomorrow morning (Thailand time) I would expect the TT rates to exceed the Super Rich rates for notes. 

I monitor this because I need to transfer a large about of funds to Thailand and want to try to time it maximizing the exchange rate.  I did that earlier this year and got a rate of 32.87 to $1.  Here's hoping for another upsurge.

The TT rates are Being posted, 32.43 to $1, which exceeds Super Rich.  Exactly what I expected/predicted. 

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2014, 09:34:01 AM »

Supper Bitch 32.42 Punters,tourist

TT  32.35 electronic transfer,most of us.

Xe 32.49 those that play the Internationale exchange.

Thank you for that commentary. 

However, the reason I quote super rich is because they are usually the leader in posting rate changes.  So tomorrow morning (Thailand time) I would expect the TT rates to exceed the Super Rich rates for notes. 

I monitor this because I need to transfer a large about of funds to Thailand and want to try to time it maximizing the exchange rate.  I did that earlier this year and got a rate of 32.87 to $1.  Here's hoping for another upsurge.

The TT rates are Being posted, 32.43 to $1, which exceeds Super Rich.  Exactly what I expected/predicted. 

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Not for long sunshine...SB is now 32.45 boxingguy

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »
Which IMHO means the TT rates will continue to rise.  Especially with Siam Commercial leading the TT, they are normally low. 

However, with the weekend coming up and a bank holiday on the 13th, I am not going to do anything until things settle after that. 

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2014, 10:06:55 AM »
Which IMHO means the TT rates will continue to rise.  Especially with Siam Commercial leading the TT, they are normally low. 

However, with the weekend coming up and a bank holiday on the 13th, I am not going to do anything until things settle after that.

Jolly good show my dear man jolly good show. oldmanwithstick moneysmile

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2014, 09:34:43 AM »
Both Super rich and TT at 32.55 to $1.  Will be interesting to see where it is on Wednesday. 

Offline toffo

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2014, 10:19:40 AM »
Payday tomorrow so lets hope it doesnt collapse today 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2014, 10:23:07 AM »
Remember the Thai banks are closed tomorrow, 13 May. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2014, 07:13:15 AM »
Interesting, the Article claims the Baht USD exchange rate at 32.76 per US dollar.  I'm not seeing that on day to day, more like 32.44 to $1, both notes and TT.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/No-intervention-by-central-bank-as-baht-weakens-fo-30234130.html

No intervention by central bank as baht weakens following military's move

Erich Parpart
 Sucheera Pinijparakarn

The Nation

May 21, 2014 1:00 am

The Bank of Thailand will not intervene in the market despite the baht's fluctuation following the declaration of martial law yesterday.

Spokeswoman Roong Mallikamas said the country's banks and the financial markets were operating normally, although there had been some panic in the currency and stock markets in the morning due to the military's move.

"Some investors may have been panicked at the start of the market on May 20, but after the situation was assessed and the news digested, their concerns lessened," she said.

The baht dropped to 32.76 per US dollar yesterday, weakening 0.95 per cent from 32.45 the previous day.

Roong said reduced concern among investors over the political crisis was expected to result in a rapid correction in the currency and bond markets, while the overall impact of martial law on the economy remained to be seen.

Meanwhile, the central bank's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) said the declaration of martial law would only have an impact on the economy in the short term, and it urged the military to provide clarification for foreigners so that they had a better understanding of the situation.

The MPC said current monetary policy was adequate for the economic situation, and that it would not intervene in any way since the policy interest rate was still able to simulate the economy.

Political instability is still playing the main role as the true adversary of the economy, the panel added.

MPC member Siri Karncharoendee said the declaration of martial law should bring about some positive changes in the political situation, provided it could put an end to protests from all sides.

"I truly hope martial law can rapidly bring back the rule of law and peace to the country. In the beginning, foreign investors might look at us in a negative way, but this will only be short term because if we can provide some understanding and the need for the law, we can really benefit from it greatly since the country and economy can finally move forward," he said.

Amonthep Chawla, head of CIMB Thai Bank's research office, said that while it was too early to predict the outcome for the economy, there should be a short-term impact in terms of foreign tourists' confidence.

The depreciation trend of the baht is expected to rebound shortly, in line with the region, although the unit's movement is affected more by external factors, he said.

The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) also experienced some fluctuation yesterday, with the main index falling 22 points in morning trading, before recovering to a drop of 15.94 points and closing on 1,394.69 points. Trading value was Bt43.25 billion.

Foreign investors recorded net sales worth Bt8.33 billion.

Brokerages KT-Zmico Securities and Globlex Securities commented that the SET fall was only a short-term phenomenon, since there was hope of some clarity in the political situation in the next two weeks.

They believe the falling index was largely due to concerns among some foreign investors, who downsized their investment portfolio in the belief that they could not invest in a country under martial law.

TRIS Rating said martial law would have a short-term negative impact on Thai corporate ratings, since most rating companies view it as having a negative impact on confidence.

However, it does not mean they will lower the country's rating right away, it said.

"If you read Moody's report, it did not say whether they would lower the country's rating due to the political situation, but they are trying to say that the political situation will affect the confidence level.

"If we look at the balanced budget target, not only Moody but S&P and other rating institutions also consider rating based on such a target and, when there is a situation such as this, these institutions will see it as negative - and they might consider it as a potentially negative factor more than lowering the country's rating right away," said Santi Kiranand, president of TRIS Rating.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »
No this is interesting, according to Bloomberg the coup is stabalizing the Baht. 

The baht rose 0.2 percent against the U.S. dollar to 32.546 as of 12:43 p.m. in Bangkok. The benchmark SET Index (SET) fell 1.5 percent to 1,384.46, the most since May 8, after earlier falling as much as 2.1 percent. Stocks linked to the Thaksin family declined, with SC Asset Corp. Pcl down 5.1 percent.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-22/thai-military-chief-announces-coup-after-imposing-martial-law.html

Offline JasonB

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2014, 11:29:34 PM »
Some in the financial world feel that it will be a "stability" step so that will strengthen the economy,BS me thinks.

Offline JasonB

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2014, 11:31:30 PM »
Oh,and Urleft I don't believe Thaksin has owned that company for years,If memory serves correctly.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »
The TT rate are inching up, just saw 32.5 to $1.  With the coup happening not only on a weekend, but a US Holiday weekend (Monday was Memorial Day), US Banks (and Wall Street) have not really had a chance to respond.

Should be interesting to see if there is a surge in the rates tomorrow.  The US GVT has already stopped military aid to Thailand, so that implies a negative US GVT view. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick