{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: immigration terms or foreigner who married Thai citizen - Request for rethinking  (Read 12782 times)

Offline Mod

• Global Moderator
  • Reliable reporter on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
    • http://www.buriramexpats.com
immigration terms or foreigner who married Thai citizen - Request for rethinking

for start the topic it just important to know i write it with big love to Thailand and it's important to keep it in mind... sawadi

some detail about the immigration terms in my country.
the immigration terms for foreigner married to a local residence is so:
before the arrival you get 1 month tourist visa.
after arrival you should go to the interior office to change your visa. you will get 1 year working permit visa. after 5 years you will get an i.d. and passport, which mean real residence  with no leagal option for the government to deport you out of the country.

I was surprise to know what are the regulation in Thailand.
first I got a non-immigrant visa for 1 year before I arrive to Thailand.
but when I used it I started to understand all the terms...
first, when I enter Thailand i got a 3 month visa. after those 3 month I couldn't make an extention in any immigration office in Thailand. I found out that I must cross the border make u-tern and come back. for each time like that I'll have to use time of 1 hole day and money for about 3500 baht...well never mind... I have Thai wife. lets see how I make a visa for foreigner which have Thai wife.

on that point i realise couple of things:
1) I should have bank account only on my name with more than 400000 baht for at least 2 month...I'll have to stand on this term every year...  I want to ask here...lets say i have Thai wife and children from her and this year because of whatsoever reason we don't have this money. will you deport me??? what logic stand after that request. of course we could take a loan but it just show the absurd of that request...and didn't I apply the visa on the extant of Thai wife? what the money have to do with it?
2) this visa is a non permit working visa. if you want to work its another Process.
3) every 3 month I'll have to go to interior office in korat to sign a document that say something like "I'm Still here". you cannot send it by email, fax or send someone instead. another waist of time and money.
what's the reason for that? why not rethink about this term?
4) there is allmost no way for you to get a permanent visa, not to talk on have an I.D or passport, not to talk of being citizen...

by the time I hope to write an open letter to the government of Thailand translated to Thai Language with request for rethinking of the immigration rules for married foreigner to a Thai citizen in a similarity to another country around the world. for a start at list give us permanent visa. I really don't think there is a reason why not. it just the foreign community have to ask for it officially.

please support by write your opinion.
just please do it with a good intentions without offending anyone.

(i remind you the start of the topic)  sawadi 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 09:27:09 PM by Mod »

mxyzptlk

Thats just the way it is in Thailand....good luck with the letter..
It's easy to come to the UK on a stolen identity after being deported for selling class A drugs, then knock 3 ankle biters out who are automatically British citizens and then not be given the appropriate tariff by a "magistrate" because it wouldn't be in the best interests of the 3 ankle biters....No wonder the UK is a 3rd world country.....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:25:50 PM by mxyzptlk »

Offline Happylarry

• Contributor with future
Thats just the way it is in Thailand....good luck with the letter..
It's easy to come to the UK on a stolen identity after being deported for selling class A drugs, then knock 3 ankle biters out who are automatically British citizens and then not be given the appropriate tariff by a "magistrate" because it wouldn't be in the best interests of the 3 ankle biters....No wonder the UK is a 3rd world country.....

i think you have issues  (and not just your username!).

mxyzptlk

I'm quoting a case I read in the Daily Mail some months ago.....have you got a problem with my remarks? If so please elaborate....

Offline Happylarry

• Contributor with future
I'm quoting a case I read in the Daily Mail some months ago.....have you got a problem with my remarks? If so please elaborate....

Not having a pop but it looked like you were having a personal rant - sorry if I came to the wrong conclusion. It is a good idea to quote your source - in full and not part/misquoted

A search of your post +Daily Mail brought up nothing. I suspect you were using your own words.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:55:10 PM by Happylarry »

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
Whilst I sympathise with Mod, and agree things could be made easier and more logical, this is Thailand, and they make the rules. Take it or leave it!

Fortunately I am one of the lucky ones with Permanent Residence, and am not inconvenienced in quite the same way as others. However I cannot just leave the country without receiveing an appropriate endorsement on my residence permit, otherwise I would lose my residency status

Red Jet

Whilst I sympathies with Mod, and agree things could be made easier and more logical, this is Thailand, and they make the rules. Take it or leave it!

Totally agree.
When you come from places like the UK and see how immigrants are treated it comes as a bit of a shock to move to somewhere like Thailand...... where if you don't met the strict criteria and set of rules you have to leave.
If you sent a letter, more than likely it will end up in the bin with no reply from the Immigration Department, with the  Officers  having a laugh with one another saying " Another Ting Tong Farang " :laugh:
I'm sure if they did reply though they would say there is a set of rules in-place are to stop unwanted immigrants from being here,bottom line is 'if you don't have money they don't want you here' smilenod
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:36:10 AM by Red Jet »

Red Jet

BTW..By telling a Thai Official that their system is wrong or needs rethinking is a sure disaster from the start,as everyone know Thais in authority are always right and to say their system is wrong or need reworking would be seen as an insult to them,even worst coming from a westerner.They do not understand constructive criticism....Full Stop .

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
Can't disagree with you Red jet

Red Jet

Just to show you how Immigration rules are...I know a guy that went for his marriage visa and whist having his 400k sleeping in the bank for the allotted amount of time his bank drew out their annual charge and he went 40 Baht under the 400k. When he spotted it he put more funds in his account.They turned him down for this but charged him 1900 baht for a 2 month extension so his money could be in the bank for 2 months ( which was nice of them  :biggrin: )....Rules are Rules  with no leeway  bigcry

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
Whilst I sympathise with Mod, and agree things could be made easier and more logical, this is Thailand, and they make the rules. Take it or leave it!

Fortunately I am one of the lucky ones with Permanent Residence, and am not inconvenienced in quite the same way as others. However I cannot just leave the country without receiveing an appropriate endorsement on my residence permit, otherwise I would lose my residency status

i can't agree with the "you are in Thailand take it or leave it" approach.

I agree 100% that you cannot change Immigration but it does not stop canvassing for change. As futile as that may be I see no reason why Falangs should not campaign for more relaxed procedures - particularly once you are here. 90 day reporting - WTF is that all about?  I need only cite Cambodia as a more refreshing attitude to welcoming overseas visitors and long-stayers.

Just because the EEC has thrown out attempts to get annual UK pension increases for expats in Thailand does not mean you would not sign a petition against such injustice. Thailand immigration is the same - just because it is their rules does not mean we cannot seek fair changes.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
Campaigning against UK Pension increases is Brit against the British government.  The Thai immigration problems would involve foreigners campaigning against the Thai government.

Totally different!

The British Home Office once told me that Britain could not interfere in the workings of the Thai government when I asked them some 30 years ago to investigate delays in issuing a Thai passport.

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
The principle is no different at all.

The ability to achieve change most certainly is.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
The principle may be the same, but whilst you can shit on your own doorstep, you cannot and should not shit on your hosts doorstep

That' my view anyway!

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Dentist by Thai Bart
June 13, 2024, 11:34:50 AM

Re: House moving by Gerry
June 11, 2024, 03:39:27 PM

House moving by GEOFFREY
June 11, 2024, 01:51:03 AM

Re: Dentist by dundeemk6
June 09, 2024, 03:49:48 PM