{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: UK Expat pensions case gets to court.  (Read 18859 times)

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
UK Expat pensions case gets to court.
« on: September 02, 2009, 05:30:24 PM »

Hi Brit Bums

Court hearing expat pensions case

South Africa resident Annette Carson is one of those bringing the case

A case that could affect the pensions of thousands of Britons who have retired abroad is being heard in a European court.

A group of 13 pensioners who have moved abroad want their UK state pension to rise in line with inflation each year.

Inflation-proofing only applies to UK pensioners who live in the European Economic Area or in 15 other countries, but not some Commonwealth states.

A two-hour hearing will be held at the European Court of Human Rights.

"It is the last chance we've got," said Charles Poole, president of the South African Alliance of British Pensioners (SAABP).

This is the latest stage in a long-running legal challenge and will be the end of the line in the legal process.

The two-hour hearing is taking place in the Strasbourg court on Wednesday, but judgment in the case will not be made until March or April 2010.

Andrew Harrop, head of Public Policy for Age Concern and Help the Aged, said: "It's hugely unfair that pensioners who have made their national insurance contributions all their lives in the UK are being penalised for retiring abroad and losing out on the uprating of their pension."

"We hope the case today will see an end to this inequality and ensure the government gives every pensioner their fair share, no matter where they decide to retire," Mr Harrop said.

The UK Department of Work and Pensions argues that the government's priority is to help the least well-off pensioners living in the UK.

One of those whose case is being outlined during the hearing is Annette Carson, who emigrated to work South Africa in 1989 and later retired there.
After emigrating, she continued to make full contributions to her UK state pension and, on retirement in 2000, began to receive pension payments.

But since then, the UK authorities have frozen the level of payments at £67.50 a week.

She took her case through the UK court system, including to the House of Lords, where it was rejected.

She and the other campaigners from countries such as Canada and Australia claim that the UK's rules unfairly discriminate against them, and nearly half a million other expatriate UK pensioners, in breach of the European Convention on Human Rights.

"We have to remain optimistic," said Mr Poole.

"We still are confident the human rights legislation is fair and that we have a fair and strong case.

"The discrimination against us is not based on any degree of logic," he added.

Annual upratings of the UK state pension are paid to recipients living in the European Economic Area and Switzerland, as well as countries where there are reciprocal social security agreements such as the US, Jersey, Guernsey and Turkey.

Countries where pension payments to expats are frozen include Australia, Canada, South Africa and Hong Kong.

TBWG sawadi

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: UK Expat pensions case gets to court.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 11:48:46 PM »
Another good reason for stringing up Messrs Brown & Darling by their gonads  steamingMad

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 05:54:08 AM »
Another good reason for stringing up Messrs Brown & Darling by their gonads  steamingMad

This has been going on for years!  The previous Tory government did nothing to help pensioners overseas, and they have no plans to change things if they win next time out.

The Lib Dems however are mainly sympathetic, but if they should ever win an election they too would be likely to do nothing about it.

dave the dude

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 09:09:42 PM »

This has been going on for years!  The previous Tory government did nothing to help pensioners overseas, and they have no plans to change things if they win next time out.

The Lib Dems however are mainly sympathetic, but if they should ever win an election they too would be likely to do nothing about it.

I fear you are right, Thaidog.
They are far more interested in giving money to those who have paid-in nothing

Dave

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 03:46:52 PM »

Hi Bums

I heard recently that, on average, Gordon Brown receives two turds in the post each week. What I want to know is................ who's sending the other one? confused3

TBWG sawadi

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 01:14:00 AM »

The Lib Dems however are mainly sympathetic, but if they should ever win an election

:D :D :D :D

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 10:06:52 AM »

Well lets hope justice prevails!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 07:30:30 AM »

Does it ever?

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:02:54 AM »

Does it ever?
Well I hope it does in this case Because it will affect me in a few years time!!!!!!!!!!!I'm fully paid up & want to receive what I'm fully entitled to.

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 03:07:26 AM »

Does it ever?
Well I hope it does in this case Because it will affect me in a few years time!!!!!!!!!!!I'm fully paid up & want to receive what I'm fully entitled to.

well i am sorry to say none of you have the willpower  to fight for your rights
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:47:03 AM by ADMIN »

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 05:23:46 AM »

Does it ever?

Why do you say that? You have proof that we just accept? Only Thai's say "Mai pen rai"!!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:47:24 AM by ADMIN »

dave the dude

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »

You say the stranges things,3100034

How do know so much about complete strangers?
Maybe you practice the fine art of Isaan Magic & Voodoo  blah2 blah2 blah2 AND BELIEVE IT  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:47:48 AM by ADMIN »

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 11:43:44 AM »

Does it ever?

Why do you say that? You have proof that we just accept? Only Thai's say "Mai pen rai"!!!

i think you can all have the pension your entittle to easy have a european address put it in a european bank and transfer as usual ( what do you think they are going to make you report every 90 days like here ,,, or 14 days for unemployment benafit,)

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 05:49:23 AM »

i think you can all have the pension your entittle to easy have a european address put it in a european bank and transfer as usual ( what do you think they are going to make you report every 90 days like here ,,, or 14 days for unemployment benafit,)

Go ahead and get yourself a European address - in fact why not one in the Phillipines. But believe me - one day after 1 year, 5 years or even 10 the pension people will find out you have lied to them and the penalty will be very severe!

dave the dude

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 04:08:46 PM »

Go ahead and get yourself a European address - in fact why not one in the Phillipines. But believe me - one day after 1 year, 5 years or even 10 the pension people will find out you have lied to them and the penalty will be very severe!

Agree 100% Thaidog surrender1. I came here to make my life simple and don't need to 'look over my shoulder' about anything.
The HMC&E are one instutition not to mess around with!
Anyway this country has already got its fair share of villains and nutcases IMHO  confused2

Dave

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Dentist by Thai Bart
June 13, 2024, 11:34:50 AM

Re: House moving by Gerry
June 11, 2024, 03:39:27 PM

House moving by GEOFFREY
June 11, 2024, 01:51:03 AM

Re: Dentist by dundeemk6
June 09, 2024, 03:49:48 PM