{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: New Immigration requirement.  (Read 13527 times)

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
New Immigration requirement.
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:18:53 PM »
There is now a new requirement for extensions of stay based on retirement (over 50).

As well as the 2 months seasoning period for the 800k in the bank, the money now must stay in the bank for 3 months AFTER the extension is granted.

After the 3 months 400k can be withdrawn but the remaining balance must stay and be constantly over 400k.

The 3 month requirement will be easy to police. I would imagine maybe a 3 months "under consideration" stamp and then return to immigration to get the further 9 months.

The 400k forever requirement will be more difficult. Maybe take bank book when you do 90 days? Maybe you will not be granted another extension the following year if you dip below the 400k??

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: New Immigration requirement.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 08:49:12 PM »
I just read this also. Effective from 1st March it seems.
So I'm assuming that anyone who was granted an extension in the last few months and has since dipped below the 800k  and 400k thresholds will be ok as long as they have the required amount seasoned for their next extension.

I aske because for the first time ever I have borrowed from my 800k for an unexpected purchase her inThailand. My intention was to replace the funds from the UK no later than 3 months before my next extension is due however I may have to bring over and ensure in place before 1st March.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 08:53:52 PM »
I just read this also. Effective from 1st March it seems.
So I'm assuming that anyone who was granted an extension in the last few months and has since dipped below the 800k  and 400k thresholds will be ok as long as they have the required amount seasoned for their next extension.

I aske because for the first time ever I have borrowed from my 800k for an unexpected purchase her in Thailand. My intention was to replace the funds from the UK no later than 3 months before my next extension is due however I may have to bring over and ensure in place before 1st March.

As with any changes, there has to be a cut off point. I would imagine that those with extensions already issued will be OK. Many people live off that money throughout the year and top it up later. Those people could not see this new requirement happening as they were withdrawing their money.

It's plain to see that this new requirement is aimed at the people who use agents and their money to get extensions.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:57:48 PM by Starman »

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 09:00:39 PM »
I hope so. My last extension was granted mid December. I'm buying another motorbike privately so actually took the cash from my 800k this very morning to avoid delay and so have temporarily dipped to 300k.

I was considering holding off replacing the funds in the hope of a little improvement in the exchange rates in coming months ( yes I know, lap of the Gods).

In theory you should be correct Starman and I should be OK to just reinstate the amount for the current required seasoning period prior to my next extension application.
But......TIT

Oh well, I've done it now anyway so I'll know in time.

Offline Smithy

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 09:55:50 PM »
Talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut  brick1
I've seen the latest news today and as normal it's all the Bad Old Expats fault and New Laws must be brought in to stop these Bad Expats that try and cheat the system at all cost's....even though it could effect the mainly Law/Rule abiding good one's !!!.
The simple answer to the problem would be to BAN all Visa Agents altogehter,to make sure all applicant's apply in person with the correct paperwork and to make sure the Immagrations Officers in charge of checking the Paperwork of those applying for an Extention based on Retirement ( or any other Extention that could be obtaioned fraudulently ) do so correctly.
Its that simple  ::)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:00:37 PM by Smithy »

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 07:04:23 AM »
What doesn't really make much sense is that the 800k on bank method is meant to show that you have sufficient funds to support yourself for a year, but your not allowed to spend it!!

From a personal perspective I don't have to much if an issue with it however I recognise that I am fortunate enough to be in that position that I am able to leave the 800k sitting there all year if that is the requirement. For those that can't this may cause some real difficulties.

I understand what immigration are trying to achieve and realistically they can't just shut down all the agents. Many expats use them for the convenience of not having to do the job themselves and furnish their own funds.

This measure does have the potential to cause a lot of problems for agents. 10 clients would result in them needing to access 8 million baht that is going to be tied sitting in accounts for 2/3 months and then 4 million forever. The interest that the agents will have to pass on to the clients will make the service unaffordable and potentially Push many of the smaller agents out of the game.

Potential winners here are going to be money lenders.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 07:51:33 AM »
Talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut  brick1
I've seen the latest news today and as normal it's all the Bad Old Expats fault and New Laws must be brought in to stop these Bad Expats that try and cheat the system at all cost's....even though it could effect the mainly Law/Rule abiding good one's !!!.
The simple answer to the problem would be to BAN all Visa Agents altogehter,to make sure all applicant's apply in person with the correct paperwork and to make sure the Immagrations Officers in charge of checking the Paperwork of those applying for an Extention based on Retirement ( or any other Extention that could be obtaioned fraudulently ) do so correctly.
Its that simple  ::)

Corruption has two sides. Supply and demand. Both as bad as each other. Thai authorities have decided to go for the demand first, although BigJoke did arrest a couple of IOs recently for issuing fake stamps.

Offline secosteve

• Contributor with future
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 08:20:35 AM »
Will this stop the corrupt officials? not  so sure but it is a start. For those who go for the 15,000b bent visa this will cause you a problem and rightfully so, no longer will the corrupt one be able to put the 800 or 400 in your account and then quickly remove it. As long it policed by immigration upon renewal it could work and for one I hope it does.

Offline Smithy

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 10:07:25 AM »
Corruption has two sides. Supply and demand. Both as bad as each other. Thai authorities have decided to go for the demand first, although BigJoke did arrest a couple of IOs recently for issuing fake stamps.

I remember Big Joke saying the other week that since the new changes in Income letters now not being given out by UK and other Embassy's that Immigration Officers has been told to be lenient with the proof of incomes for the first year when people are renewing their Extensions. This hasn't stopped some Local Immigration Offices asking for 20,000 baht from Expats because their paperwork is not in order  ::) ::)

Offline Smithy

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 10:13:58 AM »
Will this stop the corrupt officials? not  so sure but it is a start. For those who go for the 15,000b bent visa this will cause you a problem and rightfully so, no longer will the corrupt one be able to put the 800 or 400 in your account and then quickly remove it. As long it policed by immigration upon renewal it could work and for one I hope it does.

'NO' it wont stop the corrupt officials !!!!. All it will do is increase the amount of money these Visa agents and corrupt Immigrations Officers will make . I'm sure the Visa Agents are working along side these IO's on a new price list to meet these new changes in the rules  :)

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 11:09:24 AM »

'NO' it wont stop the corrupt officials !!!!. All it will do is increase the amount of money these Visa agents and corrupt Immigrations Officers will make . I'm sure the Visa Agents are working along side these IO's on a new price list to meet these new changes in the rules  :)

How many agents will have enough money to lend 800k many times for 3 months at a time?

Offline Smithy

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »

How many agents will have enough money to lend 800k many times for 3 months at a time?
I guess it will work the same was as it did before , it just goes in for a few hours .It's the IO's that get the back hander for letting the 2 or 3 month seasoning period that the money has to be in the bank to be wavered.
I have heard in Pattaya there are times when the Army send in Officials and the corruption has to stop until they leave. The Visa extension applications then have to go to Bangkok or another Immigration Office that isn't being monitored to be stamped. ::)

Offline Smithy

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 12:36:11 PM »

Yes, there is always just a few bad apples that otherwise spoil their spotless image  :biggrin:

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 12:54:22 PM »
Dodgy visa agents...those that use them...................OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

Why make those who do not abuse the system suffer

Offline Smithy

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 01:29:03 PM »
Dodgy visa agents...those that use them...................OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

Why make those who do not abuse the system suffer

So what about those that don't use Visa Agents but go straight to the Immigration Office's that offer these services.

As I have said many times before the Thai Immigration could stop all fraudulent Visa applications if they wanted to by simply making sure that the rules were adhered too where the Visa's are issued . If they did then the Visa Agents would be out of businesses for those without the correct funds.If you apply for a Visa extension and your bank book clearly shows that the money has not been seasoned then the IO should reject it , not take a bung for saying all is fine !!
If people found that dodgy visa's were not available then they couldn't use them. Blaming those that use the Agents or the Visa Agents for Thia Immigrations corruption is just stupid.   chairhit
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:30:34 PM by Smithy »

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM