{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Car ownership  (Read 8608 times)

Tassie

Car ownership
« on: June 11, 2018, 09:20:20 AM »
Can a Farang own and register a car in his name only without his Thai wife's name on the ownership/registration papers?
Regards

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Car ownership
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 09:31:46 AM »
Yes indeed. Both car and bike in my name. Easiest way in terms of the dealer interaction is to have yellow tables baan and then instantly accepted for registration in your name.
Other way is to present certificate of residence from immigration. However, check at dealership if the will accept from Buriram Offive because some will only accept if from Bangkok.

Tassie

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 10:20:34 AM »
Many thanks Freddy.
Regards

Offline Smithy

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:48:39 AM »
I  brought a New Honda Wave a while back. I have always put Cars and Motorbikes I have brought put in my name in the past but after 14+ years of marriage I decided to put the this new one in Wife's name. So much easier and less hassle than going through the rigmarole of putting it in may name .

BTW. As you can see I always have my Crash Helmet at hand and I always make sure the strap is securely fastened before the keys go's in the ignition. There are few they like to slag off Thais for now wearing crash helmets but end up in hospital because they didn't have one on......oh the joys of righteousness .  :biggrin: bike037

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 02:13:56 PM »
We have a car and 4 motorbikes. 3 bikes and the car are in my wife's name. The other bike belongs to my daughter and is in her name.

This way is so much easier when buying and selling.

Offline olavhome

• Contributor with future
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »
Starman-just asking:
What make it "more easy" when buying or selling?
Bought my MG last year, of course thet wantet Passport and serticicate of residence, but cant remember any more than that.

Just interestet to know, if selling the car in the future :-)

Offline Buriramlanguageservices

• Contributor with future
    • Buriram Language Services
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 02:45:51 PM »
If anyone needs translations, sometimes a passport translation is needed, please let us know. Same day service available.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:49:12 PM by Buriramlanguageservices »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 02:57:36 PM »
Starman-just asking:
What make it "more easy" when buying or selling?
Bought my MG last year, of course thet wantet Passport and serticicate of residence, but cant remember any more than that.

Just interestet to know, if selling the car in the future :-)

The same documents are needed to sell the vehicle as are needed to buy.

There have been numerous reports of registration office not accepting yellow book, immigration not issuing residence certs, dealers requiring other documents and even ecpats needing to go to their own country's embasdy in Bangkok to get a letter of residence.

Puuting a vehicle in a Thai name negates all of these issues.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »
With most Farangs being somewhat older than their wives/partners, the law of nature usually suggests that most will pass on first.  It is generally much easier - and cheaper - to transfer ownership from a deceased Thai than from a deceased Farang.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 04:15:20 PM »
With most Farangs being somewhat older than their wives/partners, the law of nature usually suggests that most will pass on first.  It is generally much easier - and cheaper - to transfer ownership from a deceased Thai than from a deceased Farang.

Good point Nick.

For me it?s no issue as we have always registered cars (2) or motorcycles (3) or even houses (2) in my Thai wifes name. The only thing that was registered in my own name was a Condo we had in Pattaya.

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 04:23:02 PM »
A car is one of the precious few things a farang can own outright in Thailand. Putting it in your wifes' or girlfriends' name is a wonderful gift of 600,000 - 1,000,000 baht.

No probs whilst things are hunky-dory on the home front, but Gone In 60 Seconds will be appropriate concerning your treasured wheels if the shit ever hits the fan relationship wise.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 04:28:27 PM »
A car is one of the precious few things a farang can own outright in Thailand. Putting it in your wifes' or girlfriends' name is a wonderful gift of 600,000 - 1,000,000 baht.

No probs whilst things are hunky-dory on the home front, but Gone In 60 Seconds will be appropriate concerning your treasured wheels if the shit ever hits the fan relationship wise.

Very valid point.

Beware also that even if it is in your name, the wife/partner may have access to the registration book, and can raise a hefty loan with a loan shark. I nearly came a cropper like that 20 years ago. Took the vehicle reg books and house chanotes to a friend to take care of.

Offline Smithy

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »
I remember when I first got married I tried to get as much as I could in my name .About 7 years ago we went through a rocky patch when I was nearly prepared to walk away. Now everything seems fine and the issue's we had have been solved .If you not 100% sure then get a car or bike put in your name , The Honda Wave cost me 40K ...Will I loose sleep if it goes tit's up  ?? ..not really !!...maybe if it was a new car though  :o ...even the House we Built 15 years ago I've had more than my moneys worth and it's has probable worked out cheaper than renting ....such is life.... who knows what's around the corner .....The wife might win the lottery and I have been promised half , my glass is half full  :)

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 05:48:53 PM »
My wife works hard. We share the costs of bills and purchases as a family. Therefore it is no problem for me to have everything in her name as she has earned it.

In the unlikely event that something happened between us then she is welcome keep everything.

Although she has promised that I can keep my CB300F. 555

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »
My wife works hard. We share the costs of bills and purchases as a family. Therefore it is no problem for me to have everything in her name as she has earned it.

In the unlikely event that something happened between us then she is welcome keep everything.

Although she has promised that I can keep my CB300F. 555

+1 @starman

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod