{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Grasses in Isaan - Buriram  (Read 6094 times)

Offline Wayne from Aus

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Grasses in Isaan - Buriram
« on: November 26, 2017, 01:06:27 PM »
Seeking a bit of advice re lawn.

I have a large front garden that was initially turfed with Japanese narrow leaf turf. It lasted well and looked great but a huge tree that I had planted has over the years tripled in size and much of the grass died due to lack of sun. I asked the lady at the shop to come and check it out and she confirmed what I suspected. She suggested that i lay the Malay broad leaf turf which I must say looked stunning. Far better than the brown dirt for sure.

Some 8 weeks later the grass was about 8 inches long and I asked the wife's niece the mow the lawn on setting '3' - (about 3 ''). Sadly since it has been mowed it has died back considerably. We are all very disappointed, not to mention the Niece is very upset at killing the grass! I have checked a few sites and it seems that with a bit of luck all may not be lost and next time perhaps I can cut it at a higher setting and as it becomes more healthy apply a fertiliser called PRIMO MAXX that will encourage the grass to put out runners (on top of the surface) that will further thicken the growth.

I am seeking where to get Primo Maxx and any advice from green thumbs on the Board that have experience with grass in shady. areas.

Failing all else I am happy to turn the back yard into a garden of plants suitable for shaped areas  (rainforest types) with orchids and ground cover etc.

Regards and thanks in advance

Tassie

Re: Grasses in Isaan - Buriram
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 02:34:32 PM »
Have you considered using Bermuda grass? In the warmer tropics , during average rainfall years, Bermuda will retain a beautiful green color all year round
Regards

Offline Wayne from Aus

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 03:35:31 PM »
Thanks for your response Tassie. I've heard of Bermuda in Aus. Can it grow in very shaded areas. Does it come in Buriram as Turf or are you suggesting seeding? Regards

Tassie

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 09:32:29 PM »
I  believe it's available in both seed and turf rolls. Bermuda grass prefers full sun. It is tolerant of both heat and drought as well as dry soil, so full sun during to hotter months is not a problem. It does not do well in shade, however. In such growing conditions -- less than 4 hours of full, direct sunlight each day.
Regards

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM