{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Nitrogen refills for car tyres  (Read 11604 times)

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Nitrogen refills for car tyres
« on: August 23, 2016, 06:15:02 PM »
BE member Freddy mentioned using nitrogen for car tyre inflation in another non related thread.

Now, I acknowledge that I know zero about this alternative, but I thought it could be an interesting dicscussion.

I've read a few dozen websites debating the pros and cons. Seems many official Auto Associations dismiss any real tangible cost or safety benefits of using nitrogen for family car tyres.

However, there are also many sites giving glowing testamonials about nitro, and of course, countless tyre suppliers pushing their nitro offerings as another sales generator.

After doing a fair bit of internet research, I think I'll stick with air, primarily because of the convenience factor. Any old servo will do if I need to put some wind in the tyres.

Might be a bit tricky though to find a nitro outlet whilst driving in the back blocks of Isaan, or an overnighter to BKK.

Has anyone actually used nitrogen in their tyres, particularly here in Thailand ? Any comments ?

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: Nitrogen refills for car tyres
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 06:34:18 PM »
BE member Freddy mentioned using nitrogen for car tyre inflation in another non related thread.

Now, I acknowledge that I know zero about this alternative, but I thought it could be an interesting dicscussion.

I've read a few dozen websites debating the pros and cons. Seems many official Auto Associations dismiss any real tangible cost or safety benefits of using nitrogen for family car tyres.

However, there are also many sites giving glowing testamonials about nitro, and of course, countless tyre suppliers pushing their nitro offerings as another sales generator.

After doing a fair bit of internet research, I think I'll stick with air, primarily because of the convenience factor. Any old servo will do if I need to put some wind in the tyres.

Might be a bit tricky though to find a nitro outlet whilst driving in the back blocks of Isaan, or an overnighter to BKK.

Has anyone actually used nitrogen in their tyres, particularly here in Thailand ? Any comments ?

4 new Michelin's on our Toyota Hilux 4x4 at B-Quick Robinson Surin. Nitrogen filled and guaranteed for the life of the tires. No charge if fixing a flat etc. B-Quick is nation wide and so is the warranty. You have a B-Quick at your Robinson in Buriram.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 07:00:22 PM »
I haven't used in Thailand yet but always used in the UK.
I definitely noticed improved tyre life.
Tyres filled with nitro remain stable so providing inflated to the correct pressure will remain so regardless of temperature fluctuations.
Providing tyre valves are good and no air is escaping then once filled with nitro you should find the tyres maintain pressure so don't need topping up.
I agree that nitro availability is not likely to be widespread in Thailand. Adding air doesn't hurt if necessary but of course the stability reduces.
Interestingly nitro fills are pretty cheap. The tyre dealers make a bit but in theory tyres last longer so lots of tyre dealers don't offer it.
If anyone does get it done it is important that the wheel is fully lifted and re-filled with the nitro whilst off the ground. If the garage doing the job leaves the car standing then the pressure won't be accurate.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:06:53 PM »
Smooth 2.
Your post prompted me to read a few articles on the subject. Many differing views.
I used it for many years in the UK and personally I think it worth doing. However I was reading that some places in the US are charging ridiculous amounts. $100+

I like it but I wouldn't pay that for it. Never paid more than £1 a wheel in the UK.
I'd pay a few hundred baht here but not more than 500.

I've never had green valve covers either.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:10:58 AM »
Why are aircraft tyres always inflated with nitrogen!!

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 08:26:12 AM »
Toro tyres in Buriram, south bound just before BigC do nitrogen for 100 baht a tyre.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 08:35:59 AM »

Im not that tecnically minded but it is to do with nitrogen being inert. The oxygen and water in compressed air is more reactive to extreme temperature changes. Using nitrogen reduces chance of corrosion to wheels and tyre rubber.

Something like that anyway.

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 08:59:41 AM »

www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_05/textonly/m03txt.html

Interesting read.

Also, I gather that in the event of severe braking or malfunction causing extreme heat build up in the aircraft tyre, a catastrophic tyre fire scenario will be lessened due to nitrogen being less combustible than oxygen.

or as Freddy put it ...... something like that anyway    thumbup

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 09:33:12 AM »
It's a gimmick for car tire salesmen. Unless you are taking your car to 30000 feet or rolling at 100mph for longer than 20 minutes there is no need. Tire manufacturers place a cold psi range on the tire expecting a slight variation due to temperature changes caused by driving and weather.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 09:42:12 AM »
It's a gimmick for car tire salesmen. Unless you are taking your car to 30000 feet or rolling at 100mph for longer than 20 minutes there is no need. Tire manufacturers place a cold psi range on the tire expecting a slight variation due to temperature changes caused by driving and weather.

Nitrogen will keep the tyre pressures more stable .The other value of Nitrogen is that it will keep the level of moisture in the tyre to a minimum. This reduces corrosion of the wheel rims.

Offline BillH52

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 10:20:14 AM »
I bought my wife a slightly used Ford Focus in the US about 3 years ago.  It came with a device which would alert the driver if one of the tires (tyres) lost a certain % of air pressure due to leakage.  The car was driven, on average, about 200 km per week.  The air pressure warning device would go on alert about once a month for the first 6 months of ownership, although the tires & wheels were checked numerous times. 
Upon recommendations of a neighbor who was a trucker, I then had the air in the tires replaced with nitrogen.  Had the car another 16 months with not one tire pressure warning alert.  Seems nitrogen is thicker than air, so doesn't leak nearly as much, is what I was told.
Cost of the nitrogen replacement was $3.00 per tire; and no charge if new (replacement) tires were purchased at that dealer.   

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 10:45:53 AM »
I bought my wife a slightly used Ford Focus in the US about 3 years ago.  It came with a device which would alert the driver if one of the tires (tyres) lost a certain % of air pressure due to leakage.  <snip>

Such a system is for sale here in Thailand for 4990 THB from Garmin (as an Aftermarket solution)

Link: http://www.gpssociety.com/EN/Pages/productdetailfeature.aspx?SiteName=EN&Category=PND&ID=37

The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TMPS) is an electronic system that monitors your vehicle’s tire air pressure and automatically alerts the driver when it falls dangerously low. The warning system has been legislated installing in all US vehicles after 2007 and a similar move is taking place gradually worldwide.

But it only supports the following Garmin GPS

Support nüvi 57LM, nüvi 4592LM, nüvi 2567LM, nüvi 2467LM, and nüviCAM LM (nüvi 2567LM and nüvi 2467LM must update software to version 3.60 or higher)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:52:03 AM by iammike »

Offline BillH52

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 03:41:02 PM »
Toro tyres in Buriram, south bound just before BigC do nitrogen for 100 baht a tyre.
Happened to be in the city today; stopped by Toyo Tires (just before Big C) to switch my tires to nitrogen filled.  Price was 50 baht per tire.  Good deal!

Offline Somnat

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 05:43:25 PM »
Happened to be in the city today; stopped by Toyo Tires (just before Big C) to switch my tires to nitrogen filled.  Price was 50 baht per tire.  Good deal!

Did Toyo Tires lift the vehicle to do the switch, as pointed out by Freddy in a previous post?

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 06:25:06 PM »

Even better. It was a long time ago I was there. Maybe Nitro was a new thing at the time.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick