{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Buying a car in Buriram  (Read 16698 times)

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Buying a car in Buriram
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 06:19:55 PM »
Thank you smooth2.

Offline blue

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 10:06:46 AM »
Hello everyone, I just purchased a new Toyota 2 weeks ago. I have the car registered in my name at the Buriram land Transport office. What i needed was my passport, all pages with permission to stay in the kingdom, retirement visa in my case. A letter from the U.S. Embassy attesting to my place of residence. In this case Buriram,  and i  also needed this letter translated into Thai

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 10:27:16 AM »
Is it no longer possible to get the certificate of residence from the Buriram Police Station. This is what I used when I purchased and registered a new vehicle in my name and for my Thai DL. Admittedly the car was purchased 2 yrs ago and my 5 yr lisence last September.
Total pain if the rules have changed making only an Embassy COR acceptable.
I'm not planning on changing my truck anytime soon and won't need a new license for 4 years. Plenty of time for the rules to change another hundred times!!

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 10:44:42 AM »
Well done blue   thumbup   Hope you enjoy your new wheels.

Just out of pure curiosity .... how does any Embassy verify an expats address so they can issue a Residency Certificate ? Does the Embassy contact Thai Immigration to cross reference our name against an address ? Or do they simply believe what you've stated on the application, and "rubber stamp" a Res Cert for you ?

Seems to me that getting a Residency Cert from KCI would be far more "genuine", given that we've all submitted bucket loads of docs to KCI with our name and address plastered all over them.

Yes, I know KCI won't do Res Cert anymore, but it does seem to be an arse about system.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 10:47:26 AM »
Not to mention the recent home visits.

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 10:57:10 AM »
Not to mention the recent home visits.
Well done blue   thumbup   Hope you enjoy your new wheels.

Just out of pure curiosity .... how does any Embassy verify an expats address so they can issue a Residency Certificate ? Does the Embassy contact Thai Immigration to cross reference our name against an address ? Or do they simply believe what you've stated on the application, and "rubber stamp" a Res Cert for you ?

Seems to me that getting a Residency Cert from KCI would be far more "genuine", given that we've all submitted bucket loads of docs to KCI with our name and address plastered all over them.

Yes, I know KCI won't do Res Cert anymore, but it does seem to be an arse about system.

The US Embassy does not very your address. You are getting a sworn affidavit from them that YOU swear that theses lies our true. Cost is 1500 baht. Most ltd's in Thailand accept these. Most do not require it to be translated into Thai. As for a CR form Surin Immigration they are still available at no charge IF you bring a letter from the ltd saying why you need it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:59:33 AM by gotlost »

Offline blue

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 11:08:52 AM »
All of the above is true. The embassy is verifying what you wrote on the paper is true. They are atesting that what you wrote is true and verifying your signature. I had the samething done in Bangkok when i purchased a motor bike. Bangkok did not require a translation, Buriram Land Transportation did.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 01:38:03 PM »
Is it no longer possible to get the certificate of residence from the Buriram Police Station. This is what I used when I purchased and registered a new vehicle in my name and for my Thai DL. Admittedly the car was purchased 2 yrs ago and my 5 yr lisence last September.
I'm not planning on changing my truck anytime soon and won't need a new license for 4 years. Plenty of time for the rules to change another hundred times!!

A residence letter from police is still good for a driving licence.

All of our vehicles have been registered in my wife's name, so I can't comment on other transactions.

Although there was a translated copy of the requirements posted on her not more that a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:42:48 PM by Starman »

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2016, 02:41:54 PM »

All of our vehicles have been registered in my wife's name, so I can't comment on other transactions.

Although there was a translated copy of the requirements posted on her not more that a few weeks ago.

If a letter from the local BiB is good for a DL at the LTD then I can see no reason why a letter from the BiB would not be accepted by the LTD for register a car. ::)

Offline blue

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2016, 02:48:24 PM »
It really does not matter what you can see or understand.  The only thing that matters is to meet the requirements that the thai vehicle  registration  or Thai drivers requires.
You can't argue with city hall

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2016, 03:24:54 PM »

If a letter from the local BiB is good for a DL at the LTD then I can see no reason why a letter from the BiB would not be accepted by the LTD for register a car. ::)

This may be nit picking on wording however:-

The translated document states that a certificate of residence must be presentation. Item 2 states that a certificate of residence can be obtained from embassy or immigration.

Can be....not must be.

I'm just wondering if the dealerships, some or all, would accept the Police certificate.

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2016, 03:37:03 PM »
It really does not matter what you can see or understand.  The only thing that matters is to meet the requirements that the thai vehicle  registration  or Thai drivers requires.
You can't argue with city hall

This may be nit picking on wording however:-

The translated document states that a certificate of residence must be presentation. Item 2 states that a certificate of residence can be obtained from embassy or immigration.

Can be....not must be.

I'm just wondering if the dealerships, some or all, would accept the Police certificate.

FWIT. The dealer ain't got jack shyt to do with it. Its the LTD that has the say and requires the letter. If the dealer gives you stick tell them to stuff it and go to another dealer. 10-1 that dealer will be on their hands and knees  if not as said tell them to fork off.  :o :big grin: BTW a good friend got his CR at then KCI and bought his 4x4 D Max at the Briram Mazad dealer. There was no problem.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 03:40:03 PM by gotlost »

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2016, 05:47:15 PM »

I agree 100% Dave ... unfortunately Big Boss at M.Buriram DLT has a different opinion. A Police issued Res Cert is most definately NOT acceptable at M.Buriram DLT to rego a vehicle with farang name in the blue book. Only a YTB or Embassy issued Res Cert are acceptable.

A Res Cert from KCI is acceptable also, however KCI will not give you one without a letter from DLT. DLT refuse to write such letter .... sound ridiculous ? You bet ...

This was the case 4 months ago when I (and also Deputy David I believe) went through this bureaucratic bungling nightmare.

I also agree with Dave .... the car Dealership will do your rego for you at DLT if you wish, but you MUST give them your YTB or BKK Embassy issued Res Cert for the rego to be processed in your name.

A Police issued Res Cert is no good for licensing a vehicle, even though it was acceptable for your Thai Driver Licence at the same place.

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2016, 06:28:32 PM »

I agree 100% Dave ... unfortunately Big Boss at M.Buriram DLT has a different opinion. A Police issued Res Cert is most definately NOT acceptable at M.Buriram DLT to rego a vehicle with farang name in the blue book. Only a YTB or Embassy issued Res Cert are acceptable.

A Res Cert from KCI is acceptable also, however KCI will not give you one without a letter from DLT. DLT refuse to write such letter .... sound ridiculous ? You bet ...

This was the case 4 months ago when I (and also Deputy David I believe) went through this bureaucratic bungling nightmare.

I also agree with Dave .... the car Dealership will do your rego for you at DLT if you wish, but you MUST give them your YTB or BKK Embassy issued Res Cert for the rego to be processed in your name.

A Police issued Res Cert is no good for licensing a vehicle, even though it was acceptable for your Thai Driver Licence at the same place.

I'l call  it the way I see it. There is more than I LT in Buriram Provence.  :o You guys are mugs for dealing with just one. :P If need be go out of your confort zone to another province and deal. ::) They will be very glade to assist you and take your money. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:33:22 PM by gotlost »

Offline Pichai

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 08:01:46 AM »
I believe Duputy Dave was in good hands and received correct information from Miss Pim of the Toyota Dealership near Robinson Lifestyle Center in Buriram. Miss Pim has taken paperwork, at no extra fee, to the Buriram Department of Land Transportation and registered a new car or a new SUV or a new Truck for expats she sold Toyotas in the expats name. No need for that expat or spouse to show up in person and wait in line at the DLT.  It is clear on the ownership book who is the registered owner. Certainly can be an expat.

Miss Pim will also drive her customers to a workplace or store, and have a Toyota brought to that workplace or store when any servicing was completed at the Buriram Toyota dealership. She also is a competitive saleswoman and understands the importance of DISCOUNT when purchasing a new Toyota in Buriram.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Dentist by Thai Bart
June 13, 2024, 11:34:50 AM

Re: House moving by Gerry
June 11, 2024, 03:39:27 PM

House moving by GEOFFREY
June 11, 2024, 01:51:03 AM

Re: Dentist by dundeemk6
June 09, 2024, 03:49:48 PM

Re: Dentist by Thai Bart