{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: How to get your first Thai Drivers Licence  (Read 15427 times)

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
How to get your first Thai Drivers Licence
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:06:14 PM »
There is a lot of fragmented info within various BE topics about how to get your first Thai Drivers Licence, but as I got mine yesterday in Mueang Buriram, I thought this post might be very useful for guys contemplating getting one.

I applied for a car licence only. No scooter.

My apologies to those members that have been through this, and know the drill, but for a "first timer" it can be a daunting prospect in the mind.

So, I should say ... don't be too apprehensive about the whole deal. I was, but in the end it was ridiculously simple.

Next tip ... you really DO need to take your wife, girlfriend, or Thai speaking friend to each of the 3 steps mentioned
below.

The following procedure applies to my situation. Non Immi O visa with Thai wife. If you have a different visa, or are not married, it may be different.

1st step .... Get a medical certificate from any clinic or doctor around town. Your wife will have her favourite clinic. Tell the clinic you are applying for a Driver Licence. If you are fit enough to stagger through the clinic front door, and are able to spell your own name, you will have NO problemo getting a certificate. I paid 80 baht. 10mins.

2nd step .... You must visit the Buriram Police Headquarters in Jira Rd to get a Residency Certificate. Only one Officer does this. 1st floor up. You MUST take your wife, her ID card, her Tabien Baan book. You must take Passport, your original country driving licence, International Drivers Permit (if you have one), 2 passport type photos.

I took bucket loads of copies of everything I could think of that KCI might normally ask for. In the end the Officer didn't want any of my copies. He has a printer on his desk and copies whatever he wants himself.

As it was my first ever visit to the Police Station, the Officer spent 30mins putting all my personal data into his computer. He then printed and gave me a letter advising me that I'm now officially on the Foreigners in Thailand Data Base.

He then processed and printed my Residency Certificate. He then told my wife that because I already had an International Drivers Permit, and could drive "anywhere in the world", getting a Thai licence would be a mere formality.

The entire visit was about 1hr during which time I said about 5 words. My wife talked herself nearly hoarse. Very congenial atmosphere, lots of laughs. I'll probably go to my grave wondering what the hell they all talked about, but I'm pretty sure my wife has made some new friends at Police Headquarters ?    thumbup

Cost for Residency Certificate ...... officially "up to you"   

3rd step ...... Visit Dept of Land Transport near Khao Kradong traffic lights. Reception guy wanted my Medical Cert, Residency Cert, International Driver Permit, Passport.I provided all the copies. (no photos required)

Did a very basic traffic light colour test, brake pedal reaction time test, peripheral vision eyesight test.

They took a digital photo of me, then 5mins later my name was called. My shiney new plastic Thai Drivers Licence was ready. Time DLT 30mins.  Bye Bye .... thank you for come Thailand.

Licence expires 15th Feb'18  (2 years)  Cost ...... 205 baht      bike038

Long post, but maybe it will be useful for someone.  Cheers.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: How to get your first Thai Drivers Licence
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 07:50:01 PM »
Hi smooth 2. Congrats on your Thai licence. Interesting that you've been issued with a 2 year licence. My first was only for a year so looks like something has changed recently.
When your current licence expires you will qualify for a 5 year licence. Will be exactly the same process that you have detailed. The only thing to note is that your current licence needs to have expired. If you apply for a new one before expiry then you get issued with another short one ( would have been a year in my case but possibly 2 in yours)
When I got my 5 year mine had expired for 3 days. My wife got her new licence at the same time, hers had expired 3 months previously ( she forgot ). Not a word said to her about the 3 month lapse and a crazy system that encourages people to drive unlicensed, even if just for a day.

Offline smoooth2

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 08:14:43 PM »
Cheers - thanks Freddy. I still vividly remember getting my very first licence at age 17.5 and how special that was. This kinda felt the same. Was certainly a buzz.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 08:43:30 PM »
I remember it well also, I was 18. I'd been saving for 2 years and bought my first car, a used Ford Cortina Mk3 for £350. I thought I was the 'Dogs'!
And yes, I was also chuffed to bits when I got my first Thai licence.....daft really but I guess was a kind of confirmation that ' bloody hell, I really do live here now' .

Offline BillH52

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 08:57:03 PM »
Think I'll jump in here as I just did the same a week or two ago for an auto license; however, also wanted a motorcycle endorsement which wasn't included in my International license.  So, in that case, go thru the same color vision, peripheral, depth perception, etc tests a second time.  Will note here, the "New" license (temporary) was changed from 1 year to 2 year. 

Go into classroom; watch a video (in Thai); an instructor talks for about an hour (in Thai); review traffic signage for about an hour.
I was told later, the instructor mentioned if your test asks about the temporary license - push the "1 year" button as the computer hasn't been updated yet.  Overall, we sat in a classroom without a word of English for very near 4 hours.  Then moved to a computer testing lab for a 50 question test, of which 45 must be correct.  On my test, there were no questions re motorcycles.  The written test is available in English; however, their English version is very much "Thiglish" or pigeon English.  For example, "if your vehicle breaks down, what should you do"?  Correct answer - "Pull off the roadway; turn on emergency blinkers and place this sign front and back of your vehicle".  Sample written Thai drivers license tests in English are readily available from several sources online.
Once passed, you will be scheduled to take a driving test; right turn, left turn, slalom and driving the length of a beam (bridge) approx 25cm X 6 meter.
Once passed, your auto license will annotated re motorcycle endorsement in the computer system.   

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 11:08:33 PM »
Yes it was a very interesting process.  My IDP expired by one day, they didn't like that.  But OK, got car license as noted above.  I also did not have motorcycle endorsement on my IDP, so I had to come back the following day to take the road test for scooter.  They insisted on issuing two separate licenses. 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 03:46:20 PM »
I got my second lot of"5" year licences today.

I got the police letter and a medical cert. I went alone. No need to take your wife if you can manage to communicate yourself.

I took those two documents and copies of my photo page and visa page of passport.

Did the brake test and the sight tests. Sat and watched the video, about 50 mins.

Came out and got my licences. No need for any other tests.

1060 baht for bike and car. The issue of 2 different licences is the norm.

The licences expire on your birthday. So the "5"years can be manipulated.

My licences expired on 19th March (my birthday). I went today to renew and got licences good until 19th March 2022. 9 days shy of 6 years.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:53:13 PM by Starman »

Offline davureborn

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 07:22:45 PM »
I was plucked out of the room of Thais watching the video after five minutes and went through the bureaucratic process of getting  a license before every one else. Things change in detail all the time.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 07:28:49 PM »
They certainly do. I've had my first 1 year and now have my 5 year. Haven't watched the video on either occasion. Just depends how they feel on the day! TIT. !!

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 09:45:53 PM »
If you have a Yellow book, you do not need the Police HQ visit. 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 10:18:31 PM »
There are 23 offices that issue driving licences in Buriram.

Some accept yellow books and some don't.

Check your local department first.

Offline goofy

• KTM rocks my world
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 04:36:38 PM »
I have my name in the blue book (Tabien Baan), does that count aswell??

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 05:18:14 PM »
For what reason is your name there?

Do you have children? You can be in the book as father of child but not as a resident of the address.

Offline goofy

• KTM rocks my world
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 05:41:41 PM »
Yes it was only as father of the kids...

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »
I found out today that you can intact have your own page in the bluebook but only is you have permenent residence.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick