{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Convert Tourist Visa to Non Immi O at Kap Choeng Immi based on Marriage  (Read 6816 times)

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
I thought this may be a useful post, as somewhere in BE topics, I'd read that KCI would not do a conversion from Tourist Visa to Non Immi O visa, based on marriage, and that only BKK Immi could do.

Well ... I'm happy to say that today I successfully converted my long string of Tourist Visas to a Non Immi O visa, based on marriage, all done at Kap Choeng.  2000 baht.  2 visits to KCI, 3 weeks apart.

This gives me 3 months in Thailand, during which time I can apply for a 12 month extension, based on marriage.

The paperwork was quite involved, but really straightforward. No hassles or hidden surprises.

If any expat is considering doing the same as above, please PM me, and I'll be happy to share the process & paperwork involved.

The first tip is .... make sure you start the process at KCI at least 3 weeks before your Tourist Visa, or TV extension, expires.

So ... to sum up .... yes, you can convert a Tourist Visa to Non Immi O based on marriage at KCI

Cheers

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: Convert Tourist Visa to Non Immi O at Kap Choeng Immi based on Marriage
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 04:49:37 PM »
I thought this may be a useful post, as somewhere in BE topics, I'd read that KCI would not do a conversion from Tourist Visa to Non Immi O visa, based on marriage, and that only BKK Immi could do.

Well ... I'm happy to say that today I successfully converted my long string of Tourist Visas to a Non Immi O visa, based on marriage, all done at Kap Choeng.  2000 baht.  2 visits to KCI, 3 weeks apart.

This gives me 3 months in Thailand, during which time I can apply for a 12 month extension, based on marriage.

The paperwork was quite involved, but really straightforward. No hassles or hidden surprises.

If any expat is considering doing the same as above, please PM me, and I'll be happy to share the process & paperwork involved.

The first tip is .... make sure you start the process at KCI at least 3 weeks before your Tourist Visa, or TV extension, expires.

So ... to sum up .... yes, you can convert a Tourist Visa to Non Immi O based on marriage at KCI

Cheers

Just asking. You converted a 60 day Tourist Visa over to a a single entry 90 day O-visa for marriage at KCI ?

Offline smoooth2

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 05:04:03 PM »

Cheers

Just asking. You converted a 60 day Tourist Visa over to a a single entry 90 day O-visa for marriage at KCI ?

Hi Dave.  Yes

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 05:07:49 PM »

Cheers

Hi Dave.  Yes

Thats the first time I have seen that done at KCI and the first time at any immigration office for that mater.  For marriage YOU had to go to Bangkok for conversion. Lets hope this is a sign of change for the good at KCI. Congratulations.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:10:24 PM by gotlost »

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 05:38:56 PM »

Cheers

Hi Dave.  Yes

Who does it say on the single entry 90 day O "issued by"?

Offline smoooth2

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 06:13:15 PM »
Dave ... I can't find "issued by" on the Non Immi O visa, but the boss guy at KCI who sits alone at his desk and signs every bit of paper processed by the other 3 guys, personally did all of my paperwork, stamps etc on the initial visit, and again today, he personally did everything, including all the stamps, dates, signatures etc etc in my passport.

No other Immi officers were involved at any time.

Interestingly, KCI backdated my Non Immi O visa to 27th January, even though they stamped it today into my passport. I guess that means my application was probably authorised in Korat or BKK on 27th Jan.

All I know is .... I've got a stamp advising me that I've got a Non Immi O visa that's good until 25th April '16, based on marriage.

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 06:35:52 PM »
Dave ... I can't find "issued by" on the Non Immi O visa, but the boss guy at KCI who sits alone at his desk and signs every bit of paper processed by the other 3 guys, personally did all of my paperwork, stamps etc on the initial visit, and again today, he personally did everything, including all the stamps, dates, signatures etc etc in my passport.

No other Immi officers were involved at any time.

Interestingly, KCI backdated my Non Immi O visa to 27th January, even though they stamped it today into my passport. I guess that means my application was probably authorised in Korat or BKK on 27th Jan.

All I know is .... I've got a stamp advising me that I've got a Non Immi O visa that's good until 25th April '16, based on marriage.

Thanks for the info. It sounds to me as if BK has given Korat the permission to do this. Marriage extensions only go to Korat for approval and has been this way for 5 years that I know of. It only takes two weeks for approval from Korat. As I said need to keep any eye on this for its longevity. Great going.

Offline buckwhelk

• Contributor with future
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 09:45:51 PM »
@smoooth2: Excellent posts. very informative and helpful to others. Well done

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 06:24:40 AM »
Back in Nov 2011 I converted from a Tourist Visa to a Non O, then to a retirement extension (in Feb 2012).  Both were done at Korat.

The big thing I learned from that Hassle was if you are going to try that, start ASAP from your arrival in Thailand.  I would had been able to do it in October 2011 if I had at least 21 days left on my Tourist visa. 

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 07:10:55 AM »
Back in Nov 2011 I converted from a Tourist Visa to a Non O, then to a retirement extension (in Feb 2012).  Both were done at Korat.

The big thing I learned from that Hassle was if you are going to try that, start ASAP from your arrival in Thailand.  I would had been able to do it in October 2011 if I had at least 21 days left on my Tourist visa.

Retirement extension conversion was never a problem BUT this option was never available for a marriage extension in Thailand. Always had to be sent to Bangkok. It look like Bangkok is outsourcing its authority to Korat on marriage/tourist visa convertion.

Offline Tod Daniels

• Contributor with future
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 11:42:59 AM »
When you apply for the Non-O in country in Bangkok (or anywhere I'd imagine, but don't know) it goes under consideration for 15 days. They stamp on the receipt they give you what day to come back. When you return on that day, they use the date you applied for the Non-O as the issue date and your new 90 day permission to stay until stamp too, EVEN though they're giving it to you 15 days after that.
Here's what a Non-O based on having a thai wife looks like (the thai in the lower stamp says "thai wife" and here's the new "permission to stay until stamp" too. He applied on Jan 18, went back Feb 2 and got it stamped into his passport. Now he just burns time down until there are 45 days or less and he can apply for the year extension. (FWIW: Bangkok lets you apply 45 days before you permission to stay stamp expires, most places are 30 days or less) Oh and BTW: he applied for this from a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick