{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: What can be done to stop this?  (Read 27746 times)

Offline Adam

• Active member on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: What can be done to stop this?
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2015, 05:58:48 PM »
Seems this subject is just too immotive to have a sensible discussion. I was hoping somebody might come up with sensible suggestions rather that the usual name calling etc.

So let me ask the advocates of gun ownership this. I see the problem as being high powered rifles and assault rifles getting into the hands of unstable individuals. Do you need an assault rile to hunt squirrels? I do not know as I have never killed anything. I assume an assault rifle is not used for hunting, so why sell it? If it is to be sold, there needs to be a more substantial examination before allowing people to take them home. As was pointed out in the thread all of this idiots guns were legally purchased.  Could there be some kind of background and mental check before allowing ownership of this type of gun.

Please no more name calling and points scoring.

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2015, 06:43:01 PM »
Seems this subject is just too immotive to have a sensible discussion. I was hoping somebody might come up with sensible suggestions rather that the usual name calling etc.

So let me ask the advocates of gun ownership this. I see the problem as being high powered rifles and assault rifles getting into the hands of unstable individuals. Do you need an assault rile to hunt squirrels? I do not know as I have never killed anything. I assume an assault rifle is not used for hunting, so why sell it? If it is to be sold, there needs to be a more substantial examination before allowing people to take them home. As was pointed out in the thread all of this idiots guns were legally purchased.  Could there be some kind of background and mental check before allowing ownership of this type of gun.

Below is an answer I gave over the SF form. It is not a knee jerk answer left or right but factional.

QuestionI: I for one, have no idea what the answer is. It was incorporated into the Constitution but it's too late to correct that now.

"You are are not to far off the mark. There is serious dysfunctional cultural attitude in the US society and until that changes nothing will happen. We have a serious dysfunctional government at the moment and that will not change at least until after January 21, 2017. Unfortunately there will be more of these mass murders. I do for see some states arming teachers in the classroom and supplying armed guards on campus."

Also I'll add the 2nd amendment  of the US Constitution  will not be changed

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2015, 11:32:25 PM »

Define exactly what you mean by assault rifle. 

Offline dundeemk6

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 01:04:58 AM »
I would define an assault rifle as follows : a gun that can shoot many bullets quickly without the need to recharge.
I cannot see the point as said kind of weapon is needed for hunting or sport or even for defending yourself.
You need proper training to be able to use said weapon effectively.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 01:19:06 AM »
I would define an assault rifle as follows : a gun that can shoot many bullets quickly without the need to recharge.
I cannot see the point as said kind of weapon is needed for hunting or sport or even for defending yourself.
You need proper training to be able to use said weapon effectively.

Does that mean the rifle shoots while the trigger is held down?   Or does that mean a fast finger pull for each individual shot? 

Offline dundeemk6

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2015, 01:28:09 AM »
Yes urleft, that is what I meant : while the trigger is held down ...  forgot to mention it ... sorry.

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2015, 02:33:33 AM »
I own several. They are not assault weapons. They are defense weapons. I do agree we need to keep them out of the hands of the mentally ill. When crazy moms buy them for their crazy kids, bad things happen.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2015, 08:07:47 AM »
Yes urleft, that is what I meant : while the trigger is held down ...  forgot to mention it ... sorry.

Automatic weapons in the USA have been banned (except by special license) for almost 1/2 a century.   The so called assault weapons ban is against guns that are scary looking or look like military rifles.  For example, the AR-15 looks like a US Military M-16, but does not fire automatic, but he media would have you believe it can. 

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2015, 08:16:08 AM »
DD & I was thinking you were somewhere being near to nearly normal!

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2015, 08:18:27 AM »
Nearly Nookie only nearly!

Offline BillH52

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 08:45:59 AM »
It is safe to say that America needs get "tougher" on mental health issues.

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 09:16:12 AM »

Automatic weapons in the USA have been banned (except by special license) for almost 1/2 a century.   The so called assault weapons ban is against guns that are scary looking or look like military rifles.  For example, the AR-15 looks like a US Military M-16, but does not fire automatic, but he media would have you believe it can.

My son was a professional soldier (captain) and he was told never to use the automatic setting on his SIG SG 550 , that would be a panic reaction emptying the magazine. Usually on single fire or three round burst. So what's good enough for the military should be good enough for any would be assassin. Plenty of stuff on the internet telling you how to modify your semi automatic to automatic. Hunting rifles and hand guns, that's discussable but assault rifles? No.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2015, 10:36:34 AM »

My son was a professional soldier (captain) and he was told never to use the automatic setting on his SIG SG 550 , that would be a panic reaction emptying the magazine. Usually on single fire or three round burst. So what's good enough for the military should be good enough for any would be assassin. Plenty of stuff on the internet telling you how to modify your semi automatic to automatic. Hunting rifles and hand guns, that's discussable but assault rifles? No.

Well I was a professional soldier (27 1/2 years) what you are quoting from your son is incorrect.   Ask your son if:

1.  When employing final protective fires should you use weapons in the automatic mode.

2.  When conducting SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses) should you use weapons in the automatic mode?   

3.  When initiating an ambush should you use weapons in the automatic mode?   

4.  Is the automatic weapons section of a patrol restricted from using the automatic mode? 

Email you son those questions and see what he responds.   But when I was the patrol leader I (like your son) restricted soldiers to semi-automatic (except for designated individuals). 

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2015, 12:13:19 PM »
Ok, maybe you are right. He was in a Stinger unit, so maybe there was less accent on ambush / patrol missions. I will mail him.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 03:37:34 PM »

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM