{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Registering a will.  (Read 20467 times)

Offline bonghead

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Registering a will.
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:52:17 AM »
Hi, has anyone on this Forum registered a simple will, money in Bank, car, motor cycle, leaving all to g/f or wife,  at their local Amper,ie Buriram, Lamplaimat, any info would be appreciated, i've read so much on another Forum, but nothing seems conclusive.
 Cheers. bananadance     party3

Offline Wayne from Aus

Re: Registering a will.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:38:40 AM »
I had Wills done by Korat Legal (speaks perfect english and is very helpful). Wills are done in both languages throughout the document. We had it signed by relatives (that are not the beneficiaries) and we just put the originals in a safe place. Didnt register and wasnt advised to. There is Buriram legal service as well if you prefer local. regards

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 01:25:35 AM »
Personally, I see no real benefit in registering at an amphur - and you would certainly need to understand written Thai as that is the only accepted language. In the event of death the Will still needs 'proving' at the local court.

The good news is that a simple Will can be produced for 2,000 Baht.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 06:43:14 AM »
I've made a will in Thailand,3 copies,1 in English for me,2 copies in Thai,my JB has one ,the other is in  the safe at the Solicitors.What is the point at registering it at the AMPHUR??

Offline bonghead

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 10:38:31 AM »
Thanks for the input, Nookie, Co-Co, Wayne, all the imfo i got from TV, The importance of having a Thai will, General Topics, 12 pages, 295 replies, but as i said nothing seems conclusive, hence my post,  some people it seems, from reading the posts on TV don't trust Thai Lawyers or Solicitors, and some don't like the idea of the amphur, i don't want to get into a debate on here, as i know nothing about what i asked, only what i've read elsewhere. CO-CO, where can i get a simple legal Will, produced for 2,000 Baht. bananadance       

Offline ThaiWidowsandExpats

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 12:03:26 PM »
Thai Widows & Expats are able to prepare a simple will for 2,000baht. A Thai translation which will be required if there are assets held in Thailand at time of death, is an additional 300baht.

Please PM for further information.

Co-Co

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 06:30:05 PM »
I think if you are married, even without doing a will, the property and money in bank will belong to the widow when showing death certificate.

Thats what I see between Thai people in family.

*You should cosult a lawyer to get 100$ accurate information. If you do so, let us know and keep us posted here. Thank you in advance.

sawadi

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 06:33:29 PM »
Many people have been having problems getting money from banks. Bearing in mind that many expats will have at least 400k, maybe 800k, in the bank for extentions of stay then that is a lot of money.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 06:38:51 PM »
Many people have been having problems getting money from banks. Bearing in mind that many expats will have at least 400k, maybe 800k, in the bank for extentions of stay then that is a lot of money.
I don't understand how you relate it to the amount of money in bank... please explain.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 06:44:54 PM »
What I mean to say is that, due to the laws on ownership here in Thailand, many expats only have money in the bank in their own name.

Houses, cars and other things are often in the name of their spouse so there is no problem upon death. The reports that have been on other forums lately have been in connection with one thing that must be in the expats' name. That is the bank account used to gain an extension of stay. Without a will there have been many reports of the spouse having problems getting the money out of the bank.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 06:51:21 PM »
What I mean to say is that, due to the laws on ownership here in Thailand, many expats only have money in the bank in their own name.

Houses, cars and other things are often in the name of their spouse so there is no problem upon death. The reports that have been on other forums lately have been in connection with one thing that must be in the expats' name. That is the bank account used to gain an extension of stay. Without a will there have been many reports of the spouse having problems getting the money out of the bank.

In our experience in assisting Thai widows, if there is anything more than a very nominal amount in a farang''s bank account upon death, Thai probate is needed, which does not come cheap and is not too quick.

When a farang dies, the widow needs immediate access to cash to pay for the funeral - usually 150,000baht+

Any assets overseas also require probate unless tha cash amounts are less that £5,000 or equivalent,

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »
I can't see the difference between 5000 Baht to 5,000,000 Baht.. But there might be a difference I don't understand in Thai law.

I was thinking the farang is worried about the Thai wife support after he dies.. not the opposite.
Interesting to know its problematic.

How about the pension Farang get in his own country? considering his pension include benefit for the wife.
How this can be done from Thailand?
sawadi

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 07:13:52 PM »
The difference in amounts is most likely to do with where the money goes if it is not claimed.

Would a Thai bank, or government worry about a few thousand baht???? Probably not. They might be interested in 5 million though.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 07:58:21 PM »
The difference in amounts is most likely to do with where the money goes if it is not claimed.

Would a Thai bank, or government worry about a few thousand baht???? Probably not. They might be interested in 5 million though.

For one widow they insisted on Thai probate for 500,000baht. Cost 40,000baht!

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 08:16:33 PM »
I can't see the difference between 5000 Baht to 5,000,000 Baht.. But there might be a difference I don't understand in Thai law.

I was thinking the farang is worried about the Thai wife support after he dies.. not the opposite.
Interesting to know its problematic.

How about the pension Farang get in his own country? considering his pension include benefit for the wife.
How this can be done from Thailand?
sawadi

Without a will, the deceased who lived in Thailand is subject to the Thai laws of intestacy.. These are not the same as the European laws.

A will ensures the money goes where you want it to.

Without a will money held in Thailand can be shared amongst the overseas family

ADMIN.. A Thai bank will not give money to the wife by just showing the death certificate with or without a will.  A foreign bank will require probate when the amount is over £5000 if no will.If there is a will, then probate is required,

When there is money overseas, the widow must normally instruct someone to assist her. Thai lawyers are not much use as most cannot speak much English let alone write it.   Thai Widows & Expats have to date helped 18 widows get their dues, with amounts ranging from just 100,000baht. to well over 15 million baht. In most cases they could not have done it themselves, and Thai lawyers would not have helped.  Uk Government bereavement benefits can in some cases provide 20,000bht a month if there are young children

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick