{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Retirement Extension for Dummies ver 2015  (Read 140258 times)

Offline Tod Daniels

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Retirement Extension for Dummies ver 2015
« Reply #180 on: January 29, 2016, 04:09:36 PM »
Somewhere on a forum I read where an expat got a work permit while on a retirement visa, I would like to get that as I have extra money to invest.  Unfortunately current rules will not allow that.
This is clearly a subject for a different topic BUT two things..
First, you're NOT on a retirement visa <- as there is NO such animal. What you had initially was a Non-Immigrant Type-O that you subsequently used to apply for a yearly extension of stay based on being over 50 (called retirement by every Tom, Dick & Somchai), but which in reality is called in thai "live out the end of your life" (the thai wording of the clause doesn't use the word retirement, that's just the stamp the put in your passport). They also usually stamp in employment prohibited but that ONLY means without a work permit you can't work, NOT that you can't get a work permit while on that extension.

Believe me having read the thai version of the current laws regarding work permits line by line there is NOTHING which prohibits foreigners on yearly extensions of stay for being over 50 holding a valid work permit. I probably know more than a few foreigners scattered around the country who are on yearly extensions for being over 50 AND who hold valid work permits.

Now getting the DOL in Bangkok to issue one is as rare as hens teeth. I've seen people who hold work permits issued in Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai which ALSO have a Bangkok address listed on them. But I have NEVER with my own two eyes seen a work permit issued from the DOL in Bangkok for a foreigner on a yearly extension of stay based on being over 50 <-despite the fact there is NO actual law prohibiting it.

Offline Voodoo

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »
Interesting.. Or as Spock would say Fascinating... Thanks for the info...

Offline Tod Daniels

• Contributor with future
« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2016, 06:42:28 PM »
BACK ON TOPIC:
Hmm, from my perspective; KCI is already "forking you guys over". You jump thru so many more hoops that most places, it's not even funny. All on the whim of an officer who makes up what ever he wants when ever he wants to. I truly feel sorry for you guys..

FWIW: that money in/out when using the embassy letter for verification of funds IS definitely being done in Nong Khai.

Here's a copy of the one people have been signing this year, stating that next year they'll show proof of 65k baht a month comin' in.. <- Yet another totally made up rule.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2016, 07:18:56 PM »
BACK ON TOPIC:
Hmm, from my perspective; KCI is already "forking you guys over". You jump thru so many more hoops that most places, it's not even funny. All on the whim of an officer who makes up what ever he wants when ever he wants to. I truly feel sorry for you guys..

FWIW: that money in/out when using the embassy letter for verification of funds IS definitely being done in Nong Khai.

Here's a copy of the one people have been signing this year, stating that next year they'll show proof of 65k baht a month comin' in.. <- Yet another totally made up rule.

I would have no issue if that form REPLACED the need for the embassy letter (saving Brits 2,600+ Baht).

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2016, 08:51:09 PM »
Well got a call from the "visitors" today, they wanted to talk to my TW, not me. 

They are supposed to be here tomorrow afternoon.  They want 2 village officials to guarantee me.  So we expect to get the head of the Moo, but the 2nd is kind of funny, she is the TW's sister that has become a village official (and not only does she work for us, we pay her room and board).

The TW said the guy said something strange that she is not sure what he meant.  I don't remember the words but  it sounded like kickback to me. 

I personally am not adverse to kickback to get what I want, however in this case I fail to see how I will not meet any of their criteria.  But I will leave it up to the TW. 

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2016, 09:01:41 PM »
Well got a call from the "visitors" today, they wanted to talk to my TW, not me. 

They are supposed to be here tomorrow afternoon.  They want 2 village officials to guarantee me.  So we expect to get the head of the Moo, but the 2nd is kind of funny, she is the TW's sister that has become a village official (and not only does she work for us, we pay her room and board).

The TW said the guy said something strange that she is not sure what he meant.  I don't remember the words but  it sounded like kickback to me. 

I personally am not adverse to kickback to get what I want, however in this case I fail to see how I will not meet any of their criteria.  But I will leave it up to the TW.

Arguably, this visit is nothing about you Keith - it is about verifying that are genuinely living at the said address.

I was told that they would most likely call when I was not there and they would talk in the village to the PYB and other. The only time I was involved was when a police officer re-visited to take my photo standing by the house. He had previously called and spoke to my missus and neighbours.

My visit was not sparked from an extension application so I am expecting that when I do mine in May they will not need to call again.

A week ago a friends wife paid 500 Baht petrol money.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2016, 09:31:52 PM »

Arguably, this visit is nothing about you Keith - it is about verifying that are genuinely living at the said address.

I was told that they would most likely call when I was not there and they would talk in the village to the PYB and other. The only time I was involved was when a police officer re-visited to take my photo standing by the house. He had previously called and spoke to my missus and neighbours.

My visit was not sparked from an extension application so I am expecting that when I do mine in May they will not need to call again.

If I am trying to fudge something I will gladly pay a kickback.  However, when I more than meet the requirements I am kind of obstinate. 

In this case I will leave it to the TW (who I believe is smarter than me).  If a 500 baht  bribe will make things smooth, do it.  Wish the USA would allow me to do the same. 

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2016, 09:40:28 PM »

If I am trying to fudge something I will gladly pay a kickback.  However, when I more than meet the requirements I am kind of obstinate. 

In this case I will leave it to the TW (who I believe is smarter than me).  If a 500 baht  bribe will make things smooth, do it.  Wish the USA would allow me to do the same.

Just giving you a heads up on what was 'acceptable' last week.

Also, this is not about you meeting the requirements; it is about ticking a box to say that they know where the Farangs are under their jurisdiction.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2016, 12:16:09 PM »
I think Co Co is correct Keith. When they did my home visit hey didn't want to speak to me, just the head man and his 2nd. They signed papers and had photo taken. Just a confirmation from them,  that I lived here.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2016, 01:35:45 PM »
The visit just happened, 2 Thai Guys showed up.  One asked me how long I have been in Thailand. 

Then they set up a printer and laptop.  The 2 village officials showed up, provided a copy of their IDs and signed a form acknowledging that I lived there.  Their pictures were taken. 

Then had a group photo with the two villagers, my TW, myself, and one of the KCI guys. 

All done in about 15 minutes.  And one told the TW they had to pay for fuel themselves so she slipped them 500 baht as they were leaving. 

Offline SOM LUCK

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2016, 07:16:36 AM »
Keith,

Who called the village officials, how were they notified.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2016, 08:04:51 AM »
Mike,

When they called me Monday and asked to talk to Tal they told her to have the village officials available. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2016, 03:44:33 PM »
Well went to get the extension after being "under consideration", some info:

1.  When you are under consideration it states "contact in person on (date)"   So they set the date for you.  The TW called them and got the date moved up. 

2.  All I really needed to do was provide my passport, they then put all the stamps and such on it.  There were 9 employees in the office, all 9 handled my paperwork at some point.  But basically got the extension with no further issue.

3. Met with one official that stated I could not work, and explained that in detail to the TW. 

4.  They were ready to my passport back to me but asked if I wanted a re-entry visa.  I said yes and gave him my paperwork all completed.  He was trying to tell me I needed a copy of the passport, where I showed it was all there except for the new extension.  He said he would make a copy.  Once the copy arrived it took about 10 minutes to complete the paperwork. 

5.  As I was ready to leave I showed where my 90 day report was not due in 60 days (from my visit last month).  They would not update the paperwork for being there today. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:46:09 PM by urleft »

Offline dundeemk6

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2016, 04:04:13 PM »
Oeps, I've got a "small" problem : all sides of my house and the front porch where they will sit at the big table where I have a powersocket, all angles are under videosurveillance. Will it "deter" the Immi boys from asking and receiving "petrolmoney" ?

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2016, 04:09:11 PM »
NO!

How long have you been here Croc?  newbie

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM