{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Make your HD TV a Smart TV  (Read 13046 times)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
Make your HD TV a Smart TV
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:24:20 PM »
I have two large screen HD TVs, but I really like having a smart TV.   I was in Big C yesterday and as I passed the clearance section they had a Panasonic Blue Ray DVD player for 1700 baht.  As I looked at it, I noticed it had WIFI, and the box said it could connect to the internet. 

So I bought it.  I hooked it up to my old LG 47" inch TV, and WOW, I got to play Youtube.   

So if you have an old HD TV, but want a smart TV, consider getting a smart DVD player with wifi and cable.   

This is what I bought:  http://www.panasonic.com/th/consumer/home-entertainment/blu-ray-disc-player/3d-blu-ray-players/dmp-bdt230ga.html

Normally around 5000 baht.  I am going to buy a 2nd smart DVD player to make my other TV internet capable. 

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:38:55 PM by urleft »

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Make your HD TV a Smart TV
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:50:53 PM »
That is a good recommendation.

I hope they don't sell out before I can get there next week...

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:10:33 PM »
There were other brands available.  However, I bought the only one in the clearance section.  So expect a 4 - 6000 baht price tag.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:13:32 AM »
Samsung make a good Smart Hub that will link to any HD TV. I have one in UK and works great

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 09:04:32 AM »
I prefer to keep the peripherals at a minimum.  Since I will have a DVD Player anyway (and wanted to upgrade to a Blu Ray), this really worked for me. 

But as they say, up to you. 

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »
I prefer to keep the peripherals at a minimum.  Since I will have a DVD Player anyway (and wanted to upgrade to a Blu Ray), this really worked for me. 

Am I right in thinking that these 'good quality' brands will not play the Thai dvd copies that you buy for 100 Baht a time.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 10:54:38 AM »
BlueRay disk players should play most formats but BlueRay disks cannot be played in other machines.

BlueRay means just that. The machines use a blue ray to read the disks. Regular machines use a red ray.

BlueRay machines are usually fitted with both.

BlueRay and RedRay????? Sounds like a political discussion about an ex restauranteur I know!!!!!!!

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 10:59:32 AM »

Am I right in thinking that these 'good quality' brands will not play the Thai dvd copies that you buy for 100 Baht a time.

Some do and some don't. The only way is to take a dodge o dvd with you and try it.. I guarantee my new iMac does but I paid slightly more than your laying out and yes I also have a smart TV. The only thing it does not do is spell check. :D

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 11:09:33 AM »

Some do and some don't. The only way is to take a dodge o dvd with you and try it.. I guarantee my new iMac does but I paid slightly more than your laying out and yes I also have a smart TV. The only thing it does not do is spell check. :D

Jeez GL!

You and a smart TV - now THAT is an interesting conflict !!!!!

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 11:31:30 AM »

The Panasonic Blu Ray player I bought plays the Thai DVDs just fine.  If you go to the Buriram Big C, just across the side street (same complex as Mongkhonthit Travel) there is a DVD Store that sells for 60 baht (buy 10 get 1 free).  They seem decent quality. 

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »

The Panasonic Blu Ray player I bought plays the Thai DVDs just fine.  If you go to the Buriram Big C, just across the side street (same complex as Mongkhonthit Travel) there is a DVD Store that sells for 60 baht (buy 10 get 1 free).  They seem decent quality.

Thanks Keith - do they have the latest western films?

I have to pop in and see Mook so I will take a look.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 11:43:48 AM »

Thanks Keith - do they have the latest western films?

I have to pop in and see Mook so I will take a look.

They usually have the latest releases, on display as you enter the store, we normaly check every week or so.  Make sure you ask for the "punch" card to get your free DVDs. 

And yes they have English subtitles (except for the multi-movie DVDs). 

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:46:32 AM by urleft »

Offline SOM LUCK

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 06:57:00 AM »
Is there a USB port on the Blue ray VCR and if so, would it received  the internet using my Air Card.
We haven't got WIFI in my village yet.
I also have an android phone that gets on the internet somehow, is there some way the signal can be picked up with the Blue Ray device.   

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
On the one I have there are 2 USB ports, However, I don't know if they could be used for internet.  Check it out at a store to see if it would work.   

Or go the product website and ask them. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM