{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: THAILAND ANYWHERE: Canadian Teacher/ 14 years Experience / B.A. & TESOL  (Read 14051 times)

Offline davelat

• http://buriramexpats.com/
Hello, my name is Dave, I'm from Canada, 48, and I just moved to Lam Plai Mat, Thailand, in August of 2013. I previously taught English in Taiwan for 14.5 years (all ages/levels/government & private schools) and came to start farming mushrooms and eggs with a friend near Lam Plai Mat here. I don't need to go to the farm each day as it's all set up and it's really just an investment, so I am now interested in finding a teaching job. I am currently on an Ed-Visa, which expires Nov/2014 but would like to start teaching to keep myself busy. To add, I have my Bachelor of Arts Degree in Business Administration and I also possess my International TESOL Certificate. I am currently seeking a position "ANYWHERE" in Thailand but do like Lam Plai Mat / Buriram City / Korat areas. I prefer smaller, rural schools and areas, but will consider anything.

If you are at all interested, please let me know and I can send whatever documentation you may want. And if you're not interested, no problem and thank you very much for your time.

DAVE PATRICK
LAM PLAI MAT, THAILAND
patrickdave@hotmail.com

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: THAILAND ANYWHERE: Canadian Teacher/ 14 years Experience / B.A. & TESOL
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 02:15:20 PM »
You would be better off asking on Ajarn.com

There are not, to my knowledge, anyone involved in hiring teachers on this forum. BFITS and SINE are two agencies that hire alot of teachers in these parts. A Google search will get you what you want.

Do not, and I repeat, Do not get sucked in by another agency that operates in Lamplaimat. There have been many bad stories about them.

Hope this helps.

Offline davelat

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 02:28:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Know of/talked to BFITS and SINE and now on Ajaran thanks a lot.  I only posted here as this area is my first choice as my partner is from this area.  And thanks for the heads up but I won't be using an agency and I didn't even know there was one in the village here lol !!!  Actually, found a school in Khu Muang and I am just waiting for an answer back as I asked for just a bit more salary then they offered me.  Either way, with the last week of classes and all now, I am going school to school dropping off my resume around here starting tomorrow.
Thanks again !!

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 02:34:20 PM »
The problem is that schools that have the money to hire Native Speakers will generally use one of the agencies. It is beneficial to them. The smaller schools may also have problems knowing how to get the paper work that is required for a permission to teach from the Thai Teachers Council, the correct visa and extension of stay and also the work permit.

Offline davelat

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 02:39:14 PM »
Yah thanks again.  I was worried about that and going to make sure any school i am interested in, has done the  paperwork process before.  Guess I am lucky my ED-Visa is good until November and they get it done by then lol !!

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »
You cannot work on an ED visa.

Are you still studying? If not then you may run into problems.

Offline davelat

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 02:45:18 PM »
No no.  What I meant was I am going to stop classes and the school needs to change my Ed-Visa over to the proper one. 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 03:10:03 PM »
You cannot change. You will have to leave the country. Savannakhet in Laos is the best bet.

You will get 90 day Non B visa. You then have to ask permission from the teachers council. When you have that you apply for a work permit. Then you can get an extension of stay up to the end date of your contract.

Be warned. It is a slow process. I know of someone who recently had to go out of the country to obtain a 90 visa three times  before the documentation was received.

Offline davelat

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 03:19:20 PM »
Thanks for the heads up once again.  Knew I would have to go out and we already have Savannakhet searched for the trip as it's our closest place to here. 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 08:57:32 AM »
If you are legally married you may wish to apply for a NonO visa. This way you can apply for a multi entry. This means that you can stay up to 15 month, although you must leave every 90 days. The 90 day exit would only require a step over the border, at say Chong Chom, and does not require a visit to a consulate.

You can work on an O visa. Also, if you wish to do so, an O visa can be extended for work purposes, when all of your documents are in order, without the need to leave the country again.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 10:11:12 AM »
If you are legally married

Shouldn't that be "If you are legally married to a Thai national"? 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »
If you are legally married

Shouldn't that be "If you are legally married to a Thai national"? 

Not if your wife is a foreign national working in Thailand on a Non B visa.

Besides, the OP did say that he lives in Lamplaimat because that is where his partner comes from.

Reading between the lines, and posts that he made on other forums, it would be obvious to those to whom the post matters.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 10:27:12 AM »

Reading between the lines, and posts that he made on other forums, it would be obvious to those to whom the post matters.

Thank you for this quote, I expect it will be useful when you provide your sage wisdom in upcoming posts.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:30:20 AM by urleft »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 10:30:05 AM »
I don't quite understand your off topic post Urleft. Looks like a bit of a stir.

Anyway I have received a message of "Thanks" from the OP, so that is all that matters.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »
I don't quite understand your off topic post Urleft. Looks like a bit of a stir.

Anyway I have received a message of "Thanks" from the OP, so that is all that matters.

Off post topic?   I helped clarify your technically incorrect statement. 

Wasn't your earwax brain comment supposedly about being technically correct?     

However, from my standpoint your input was quite valuable to the op.  But had a German living with his TW here, and was legally married, unfortunately the legal marriage was to a woman in Germany. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick