{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Thai Restaurant in Buriram City, would it work?  (Read 13719 times)

Offline Yaeyam

• http://buriramexpats.com/
Thai Restaurant in Buriram City, would it work?
« on: October 23, 2013, 01:43:50 AM »
First of all I will tell you a bit about myself.
I have been married approx. 20 years to a Buriram (province not city) Lass, have a house(built 15 years ago) in the village where she is from and although there was a spell where we never came back to visit for 3 to 4 years(children etc) we generally have come at least once every year.
I have been to Buriram City quite a few times, watched Buriram United and drunk and ate in most of the expat places either still open now or closed long ago, even used to visit speed when I was younger.
Now all these type of bars/restaurants are aimed towards expats and although they do Thai food they tend to be the basic Thai dishes along side what ever western food is on offer, you obviously have all the Thai street food and places like the one round the corner from the Bamboo Bar and the Hotels that have sprung up in the last 10 years obviously do Thai food (in the loosest term of what Thai food is)but from my visit and scout round last year there does not seem to be anywhere that goes that extra bit and sells decent Thai food produced by a high quality chef for Thai's and expats. 
So why am I telling everybody this and have the question on this topic. My wife is a top quality Thai chef who runs a very successful restaurant in England, has been in charge of food for Thai Embassy parties and cooks regularly for what you might call VIP Thai people and Thai Students and there families.
We are basically going to retire from England when are youngest is old enough to look after himself or at least make the decision of what he wants to do or where he wants to be which is about 3 to 5 years away.

Now my question to all the full time expats who live in Buriram City is do you think there is a market or possibly could be a market in the time scales I have given to open this type of restaurant.

Look forward to any feed back negative, positive or even questions

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
Re: Thai Restaurant in Buriram City, would it work?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »
I have been married approx. 20 years to a Buriram (province not city) Lass, have a house(built 15 years ago) in the village where she is from and although there was a spell where we never came back to visit for 3 to 4 years(children etc) we generally have come at least once every year.
I have been to Buriram City quite a few times, watched Buriram United and drunk and ate in most of the expat places either still open now or closed long ago, even used to visit speed when I was younger.
Now all these type of bars/restaurants are aimed towards expats and although they do Thai food they tend to be the basic Thai dishes along side what ever western food is on offer, you obviously have all the Thai street food and places like the one round the corner from the Bamboo Bar and the Hotels that have sprung up in the last 10 years obviously do Thai food (in the loosest term of what Thai food is)but from my visit and scout round last year there does not seem to be anywhere that goes that extra bit and sells decent Thai food produced by a high quality chef for Thai's and expats. 
So why am I telling everybody this and have the question on this topic. My wife is a top quality Thai chef who runs a very successful restaurant in England, has been in charge of food for Thai Embassy parties and cooks regularly for what you might call VIP Thai people and Thai Students and there families.
We are basically going to retire from England when are youngest is old enough to look after himself or at least make the decision of what he wants to do or where he wants to be which is about 3 to 5 years away.

Now my question to all the full time expats who live in Buriram City is do you think there is a market or possibly could be a market in the time scales I have given to open this type of restaurant.

Hi Yaeyam
Let me tell you about something that has fairly recently happened in another Issan town (NOT Buriram).

A very wealthy Thai/Chinese family in this town wanted to open an up-market Thai/Chinese restaurant. The guys brother already has a very successful 'steak house' restaurant. Because they are 'high profile', they got no trouble from the competition or Govt/police.They built a whole row of shops/condo's and this very nice 3 storey restaurant. It is geared for the HiSo Thai/Chinese and has local/western music playing every night. The food and staff are very good BTW. The place is full to the rafter EVERY NIGHT even after about 8 months of opening. Its very distinctive/modern/stylish and they have had an extensive advertising campaign.

If you could compete against something like that, I take my hat off to you, my friend.I hope you are willing to work harder than you have ever done before , for a very small return.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well!

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 01:48:20 PM »

Hi Yaeyam
Let me tell you about something that has fairly recently happened in another Issan town (NOT Buriram).

A very wealthy Thai/Chinese family in this town wanted to open an up-market Thai/Chinese restaurant. The guys brother already has a very successful 'steak house' restaurant. Because they are 'high profile', they got no trouble from the competition or Govt/police.They built a whole row of shops/condo's and this very nice 3 storey restaurant. It is geared for the HiSo Thai/Chinese and has local/western music playing every night. The food and staff are very good BTW. The place is full to the rafter EVERY NIGHT even after about 8 months of opening. Its very distinctive/modern/stylish and they have had an extensive advertising campaign.

If you could compete against something like that, I take my hat off to you, my friend.I hope you are willing to work harder than you have ever done before , for a very small return.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well!

i also wish you well.

managing expectations is important. In the UK, Thai restaurants are invariably relatively overpriced and serve  a dumbed down version of what 'real' Thai food is.

There are many (and in fact an increasing number of)  'decent'' Thai restaurants where the ingredients are well selected, properly cooked and decently presented/served (there are also a large number that are not!).

Marketing and contacts are also important factors.

But, at the end of the day, this question is being asked on a Farang forum and our opinion counts for Jack sh!t in such matters.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »
My opinion, It can work very well but the return compare to england will be very small and the efforts and energy you will spend on it will be very high.
The decision is yours and your wife whether you want to get into it with open eyes.
The reason many farang owned businesses are closing down are mentioned above.
You will need to have lots of patience, very high ambitious while keeping your expectations very low and stay there for the sake of your success. :)

Sorry you get these negative comments, its just food business is very hard all around the world and especially in our area where consumers are relatively price sensitive.

Best luck. sawadi

Offline toffo

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:37:07 PM »
Not many Thai restaurants that have aircon is maybe a reason why and its clean.. I think the hi so go there

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 07:27:06 AM »
There already is a very good Thai restaurant, which also sells European food, in Buriram.

The fact that no one on here has mentioned it, or even knows about it, really does echo the thoughts of many on here that you are wasting your time asking the minority.

Offline Beer Leo

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 08:11:58 AM »
There already is a very good Thai restaurant, which also sells European food, in Buriram.

The fact that no one on here has mentioned it, or even knows about it, really does echo the thoughts of many on here that you are wasting your time asking the minority.
What's the big secret, enlighten us ignorant food lovers. NAME PLEASE! hungry1

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 08:15:19 AM »
No big secret Beer Leo. My point was that the "Farang" community rarely venture out to anywhere but the local "Farang" meeting places.

The op mentioned that.

No one has ever mentioned the Book and Bed. A very good restaurant.

Offline Beer Leo

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 08:17:45 AM »
 hungry1 I would appreciate a upscale Thai food restaurant in Buriram  party9. Good luck, I'll will be waiting for the grand opening. party11

buriramsmiley

Offline Beer Leo

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 08:20:01 AM »
No big secret Beer Leo. My point was that the "Farang" community rarely venture out to anywhere but the local "Farang" meeting places.

The op mentioned that.

No one has ever mentioned the Book and Bed. A very good restaurant.
[/quote

Agree, good food. But still don't give you the luxury feeling.

Offline JasonB

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
I just want to know where this chinese/thai eatery is so when I'm feeling up to it I can get some chinese food into me,REALLY miss some chinese food occasionally.Someone pm me the address?? JasonB.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 10:23:17 AM »
I just want to know where this chinese/thai eatery is so when I'm feeling up to it I can get some chinese food into me,REALLY miss some chinese food occasionally.Someone pm me the address?? JasonB.

The clue was in Starman's last post when he mentioned the Book and Bed - same soi as BE office and Muang Pizza.

Offline mike

• Contributor with future
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 11:06:57 AM »

The clue was in Starman's last post when he mentioned the Book and Bed - same soi as BE office and Muang Pizza.

Nobby actually said it was not in Buriram. I'd be interested in where it is. Nobby ?

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »
The Book and Bed is where CoCo says it is.

The one that Nobby is talking about is most likely in Surin. Probably the one known as The Green terrace.

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 12:24:26 PM »

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM