{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: New in Tako  (Read 3733 times)

Offline mudcat

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
New in Tako
« on: April 19, 2013, 08:59:24 AM »
Spending a few months with my new(ish) wife at her home in Tako (Isan Khet, just south of Hwy 24 15 km past Nang Rong).  Enjoying the quiet life in my retirement, and look forward to moving here permanently once my wife receives her U.S. citizenship so she can collect Social Security in Thailand).  Once we are here permanently we will be expanding her relatively small home (~65 sq.mtrs), but right now we are enjoying the additional room when compared to the 30 sq.mtr studio we share in Berkeley, California.

Needless to say as someone new to the idea of living in Thailand, I have some questions.

1.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of registering our U.S. marriage with the local Amphur?  Understood that it qualifies me for a non-resident visa as an alternative to a retiree visa and that it may place some 'flags' in any land transactions my wife participates in. We did our Phittee Mun here and are out and about together locally most days so her family, friends, and acquaintences are getting to know me as her husband, but are there other 'social' or legal benefits available with a Thai registered marriage?

2. Is there any way to make longish visits easier prior to applying for a retiree/marriage visa?  Currently on a 60-day tourist visa which I will be extending next week for another thirty-days, but next time is there anyway to stay four or five-months?  We need to maintain continuous residence in the U.S. for my wife to qualify for citizenship, so I don't think the 90-day reporting requirement won't work for us right now.

3. Thinking long term, what happens when a farang becomes elderly here?  I have seen the family gathering around to support and comfort the afflicted, but what happens with immigration requirements if you are unable to navigate the bureaucracy? 

Looking forward to Isaan life.

Steve

Offline JasonB

• Active member on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: New in Tako
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:52:58 AM »
Hi Steve,nice that you are on the forum.As to your questions,there are many people here who will be better then me to answer your questions,the only one I will give a possitive answer to is the Thai social/marriage question,your USA marriage is recognized here and is legal,but,socially get a Thai buddist ceremony done,and a bit of a party for the inlaws....that will give your wife"face" and a feeling of really being married,in the eyes of her family and friends,JasonB.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick