{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: I successfully failed to run over a scooter today  (Read 70867 times)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
I successfully failed to run over a scooter today
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »
I was headed to Big C today in my Ford Ranger doing about 60 km an hour in the far right lane passing the clueless. 

When a lady on a scooter from more than beyond the next left lane just cut across traffic without looking or a turn signal right in front of me.  wildman   If I did not have ABS she would have been road kill.  party13  She did not even look back and I slammed on my brakes.   screwy

Scared the crap out of me.  jumping8 I find it amazing there are not more accidents here.   party13

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Re: I successfully failed to run over a scooter today
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:53:32 AM »
I was headed to Big C today in my Ford Ranger doing about 60 km an hour in the far right lane passing the clueless. 

When a lady on a scooter from more than beyond the next left lane just cut across traffic without looking or a turn signal right in front of me.  wildman   If I did not have ABS she would have been road kill.  party13  She did not even look back and I slammed on my brakes.   screwy

Scared the crap out of me.  jumping8 I find it amazing there are not more accidents here.   party13
There are many accidents on the roads but you are not always to see them, thats why you see many thais with scars from their motorbike accident in the past......  bike038
I always drive carefully in town and around because the motorbikes are much less predicted than the cars, at least thats how I see it. drivegear

Good to hear you didn't make any accident. sawadi

Offline davu

• Prolific Member
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 07:17:54 AM »
She doesn't have to look out for other traffic as she buys a good luck amulet every week. I have twe people in the family  that have scars and limps due to motorbike stuff.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 08:48:04 AM »
Most motorcy riders have no sense whatsoever.

Apart from driving as if there were m=n other traffic on the road, they pull out and turn into main roads without looking, drive against the flow, and as urleft has said just turn in front of you without a signal or a look.

There really needs to be lawenforcement, with heavy fines and confiscation of bikes where total stupidity comes into play (in most cases!)

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »

I resemble that remark, Mister Nick!!!!!

Davu they are not scars, they are called.... Thailand Tattoo's

brick1 bike038

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:28:48 AM »

I resemble that remark, Mister Nick!!!!!

Davu they are not scars, they are called.... Thailand Tattoo's

brick1 bike038

Apologies to Nobby and all

The paragraph should have read

"Most THAI motorcy riders have no sense whatsoever."

Note to self - Do not post until after 2nd cup of coffee!

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »

There are many accidents on the roads but you are not always to see them, thats why you see many thais with scars from their motorbike accident in the past......  bike038
I always drive carefully in town and around because the motorbikes are much less predicted than the cars, at least thats how I see it. drivegear

Good to hear you didn't make any accident. sawadi

Unfortunately I am hearing about them.  The built a  7-11 large station just North of town on Rt 219 (I live about there), in the past year we have lost 5 Neighbors, customers, friends, and children to accidents, two boys we killed on their scooter 2 weeks ago. 

Last month I slowed and stayed back of 2 boys doing a scooter wheelie for about 500 meters on 219, I was waiting for them to wipe out.  Luckily they didn't.   

The first time I drove in Thailand I was exiting out local Makro and was watching right for traffic to clear.  When an opportunity came I started to move but luckily I looked left just a scooter came the wrong way in front of me.  Taught me to alway look both ways before I start. 

But on the plus side, because most drivers expect other drivers to do something stupid you are more watchfull. 

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 06:27:55 PM »
Drive cautiously - remember, Italian Tony is out there with no helmet!  (although he would never pull out without looking first)

Offline Mod

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »
Almost everyone in our family got accident, because of drunk rider also. buttslap

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 01:11:03 PM »
Ran across this today.  Crotch Rockets scare the crap out of me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XihQeZpwqpE

The hearsay is that this guy is no longer with us to make vids.

Offline Italiantony

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »
Ran across this today.  Crotch Rockets scare the crap out of me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XihQeZpwqpE

The hearsay is that this guy is no longer with us to make vids.
No real surprise there then.
But must say the mans got balls.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 11:49:17 PM »
Wow, I wish I could continue to say this.   

As I was making a right turn I did not see scooter trying to pass me on the right, so she hit me. 

She was dazed but it did not look like a major injury, we took her to the Private hospital. 

To avoid the hassle, we agreed to fix the scooter and take care of her hospital bill. 

My TG said we needed to see her tonight.  I said we are not her friends so we should not.  However, my TW's mom said it was the right thing to do, so we went. 

Unfortunately things got messy.  The victim started demanding pain/suffering etc.  We stated we have insurance but were trying to avoid using it.  The victim stated she had insider track on insurance. 

So my TG shut up and said OK.  Called the Insurance company and tomorrow at 11 am we are supposed to be at the Police station, should be really interesting.

The victim has since call and yelled at my TG for calling insurance company.  I also told my TG to make sure they have Scooter at Police Station because it does not have a 2556 sticker. 

All said and done, this looks to me like a lose lose situation.  But my insurance (1 st class) should pay regardless of what the Thai's decide.  However, I think the "victim" is going to lose over what we were prepared to do. 

Offline DeputyDavid

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 12:09:08 AM »
Urleft, this is the exact scenario that scares the heck out of me.  Seems that they can ask for whatever they want, and sometimes get it.  But just to check, if she is passing you on the right, and you were making right turn, she probably is at fault??? Not that fault has any bearing on the issue.  Please let us know how this turns out, as it is inevitable that we will have similar issues to deal with.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 06:25:20 AM »
Keith,
        I know you are a decent guy but I myself would NOT have taken the girl to the hospital & paid any bill because in THAI eyes you have admitted it was your fault by doing so.

Offline Antonio

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 07:29:10 AM »
Wow, I wish I could continue to say this.   

As I was making a right turn I did not see scooter trying to pass me on the right, so she hit me. 

She was dazed but it did not look like a major injury, we took her to the Private hospital. 

To avoid the hassle, we agreed to fix the scooter and take care of her hospital bill. 

My TG said we needed to see her tonight.  I said we are not her friends so we should not.  However, my TW's mom said it was the right thing to do, so we went. 

Unfortunately things got messy.  The victim started demanding pain/suffering etc.  We stated we have insurance but were trying to avoid using it.  The victim stated she had insider track on insurance. 

So my TG shut up and said OK.  Called the Insurance company and tomorrow at 11 am we are supposed to be at the Police station, should be really interesting.

The victim has since call and yelled at my TG for calling insurance company.  I also told my TG to make sure they have Scooter at Police Station because it does not have a 2556 sticker. 

All said and done, this looks to me like a lose lose situation.  But my insurance (1 st class) should pay regardless of what the Thai's decide.  However, I think the "victim" is going to lose over what we were prepared to do.
Simply solution in future DON'T STOP.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM