{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Helmet 100% campaign in Buriram  (Read 39049 times)

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: Helmet 100% campaign in Buriram
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2013, 08:45:51 AM »
Exactly Speros.

It has to get real. More than 1 million new cars and trucks entered the system last year, and likely more motorbikes, yet the driving standards, and Police response is the same if not worse than when I arrived on these shores 26 years ago. And then there was a small fraction of the number of bikes and cars around.

Fines must be meaningful, 3,6 and 12 month suspensions must be commonplace for infractions. Kids under 16/17 must not drive motorbikes and everyone should be required to undergo training before applying for a driving licence. Bikes. cars e-tans etc must be impounded when found to have ineadequate lighting, brakes, tyres etc.

On 4 lane roads.dual carriageways, those that continually hog the outside lane (well over 50%) must be stopped, heavily fined and warned that any future infraction will result in their licences being taken away.

Then and only then will we see improvement in the accident /death rate.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
People need to be taught that helmets are more a safety requirement rather than a legal one.

What really pisses me off is when you see a parent wearing a helmet, obviously as a legal requirement,but the two kids on the back have no helmet. The parent quite happy because they won't get stopped as they are not breaking the law.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2013, 09:13:56 AM »
Still on the road safety topic, but with cars.

It amazes me when I pick my kids up from school to see the mothers put their kids in the front seat  (sometimes 2 together). They have no chance if the mother has to brake suddenly. And most of the mothers are either nurses or policemens wives - people who should know better.!!!

Offline sao baht

• Contributor on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
People need to be taught that helmets are more a safety requirement rather than a legal one.

What really pisses me off is when you see a parent wearing a helmet, obviously as a legal requirement,but the two kids on the back have no helmet. The parent quite happy because they won't get stopped as they are not breaking the law.

They are braking the law,the problem here in Isaan is the Police don't enforce it like they do in Bangkok,Pattaya, Nong Khai and most other big towns and Cities  :wacko:

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2013, 09:23:26 AM »
The buck stops at the top.

Yingluk must be held responsible for deaths and injuries caused by having no helmet.

It is her job to ensure the Interior Ministry instruct and force the Police under their control to enforce the law.

Offline sao baht

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2013, 09:24:55 AM »
Still on the road safety topic, but with cars.

It amazes me when I pick my kids up from school to see the mothers put their kids in the front seat  (sometimes 2 together). They have no chance if the mother has to brake suddenly. And most of the mothers are either nurses or policemens wives - people who should know better.!!!
When I was a kid I did the same when in the car with my parents in the UK. Over the years we have learnt this is not the wisest thing to do but through education and law enforcement we have changed out mindset. Lets hope in 30 years Thailand catches up with the rest of the Western world when it comes to road safety !!
Education and stricter law enforcement is the only way forward ( with the emphasis on education )

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2013, 09:26:14 AM »
If the Thais responded to education, there would be less need for law enforcement.

Offline sao baht

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
If the Thais responded to education, there would be less need for law enforcement.

When I was a kid you could even ride a bicycle to school without doing a cycling proficiency test.If only the Police ( or the King was to set up a  Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents )to go to school and do something similar may lives could be saved . You have to educate from an early age!!

Offline sao baht

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2013, 09:38:24 AM »
The buck stops at the top.

Yingluk must be held responsible for deaths and injuries caused by having no helmet.

It is her job to ensure the Interior Ministry instruct and force the Police under their control to enforce the law.

Come on Nick .... that's like taking Chang to court for causing drink driver  :laugh:

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2013, 09:44:27 AM »

Come on Nick .... that's like taking Chang to court for causing drink driver  :laugh:

Not really.

The government make the laws, therefore they should enforce them for everyones safety. That their employees refuse to do so needs responsible action. If they do not oversee their employees actions, then they should be held accountable.

All big business bosses carry the can for the serious mistakes of their employees

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2013, 09:45:17 AM »
I'm not sure education would work with the Thais. Not only do they forget most things that they have been told within a day or 2, but they always try and circumvent everything.

Close gaps between carriage ways, and they will form new ones. Erect one way, no parking and other signs, but they are totally ignored. Fine them 100bt, and still they break the same laws.

Regrettably I think the only solution  is to hit them hard - very hard -  in their pockets.

No money for  discos,  lao khao,  lottery tickets and  mobile top ups, would hurt them, and hopefully bring them into line.

Offline sao baht

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »
I'm not sure education would work with the Thais. Not only do they forget most things that they have been told within a day or 2

I think there has been a vast improvement in the wearing of crash helmets over the last year or two compared to when I first came to live here ....its working ......but working slowly but surely  smilenod

As the sign says 100% crash helmet wearing is the goal.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:05:29 AM by sao baht »

Offline Speros

• Prolific Member
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »
I'm not sure education would work with the Thais. Not only do they forget most things that they have been told within a day or 2, but they always try and circumvent everything.

Close gaps between carriage ways, and they will form new ones. Erect one way, no parking and other signs, but they are totally ignored. Fine them 100bt, and still they break the same laws.

Regrettably I think the only solution  is to hit them hard - very hard -  in their pockets.

No money for  discos,  lao khao,  lottery tickets and  mobile top ups, would hurt them, and hopefully bring them into line.

Yes Nick, it has to be financial, and it needs to hurt.....sure a few people would suffer at the start, but its amazing when the word gets around people would be wearing a helmet. 1,000THB first offence, 2,500 second offence, 5,000 third offence and loss of bike.
give the policeman who writes the ticket  50% of the fine...he will then enforce it
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:17:54 AM by Speros »

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2013, 10:19:53 AM »
In total agreement Speros.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2013, 10:27:08 AM »

As the sign says 100% crash helmet wearing is the goal.

Either it is the law (in which case it must be enforced) or it is a Goal, which is little more than a desire.

Soft advertising which clearly does not work!

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick