{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Helmet 100% campaign in Buriram  (Read 39058 times)

Offline Jamaw

• Contributor on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Helmet 100% campaign in Buriram
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »
We have to be realistic in that money is involved. There has been good initiatives in Vietnam, Cambodia and a few others that helmets are given free with every motorbike. Whether it is actually free and not added onto the price is questionable but t works.

Basically, there isn't a safety culture in Thailand as in Europe. I was at a building site in Bangkok a few years ago and the HSE manager, a Brit, told all the workers of they turned up without their hard hats and hi-vis vests they'd be sent home without pay. They turned up wearing their hard hats and hi-vis vests next day as instructed but wearing flip flops and sandals. Sometimes 'we' just don't think enough for them.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 06:59:25 PM »
BUT the checks usually vanish during school opening & going home time!!

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 07:48:10 PM »
Some 8/9 years ago in Prakhonchai market, early one morning whilst drinking coffee, a copper came and sat next to me and started talking.

I asked why the police did not stop the kids on their bikes and enforce the law. The answer was that the senior police chiefs had instructed "leave the kids alone". Looks like that policy is still in place.

The police, the parents and the schools should all be held accountable for every accident involving a young child riding a motorbike

Offline finnomick

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »
Helmet 100% campaign in Buriram

As the Buriram province is the province which less of people wear the helmet so now the police in Buriram they start to be more tough.
The checkpoint will be around the city and some inside the city specially where close to the collages and university.

So ride with helmet and take your driving license.

Can see video here : http://77.nationchannel.com/video/299298/
With all these rules and regulations this country (Thailand)is becoming more and more like Europe every day.
I never wear a helmet on my bike and i will not start now.
After all it's only a 200 Baht fine anyway.

So are you saying that you encourage law breaking ?
Well with a 200 Baht fine who really cares.
It dosen't make me public enemy number 1.
After all most people drink and drive here because if you get caught it's a small fine (or payment say 5,000 or 6,000 Baht)
But would think twice about doing the same thing back in the country of origin.
Many Thai people have a problem with wearing a helmet and unfortunately many of them are young so the safety message is not getting through. I was involved in a seriouse motorcycle accident this time last year and I am still recovering from the injuries. My european full face helmet was smashed up pretty bad and had I not been wearing it I am sure I would have died. The hospital treatment I recieved in Thailand was very poor to say the least and the sights I saw from many other motorcycle accidents which were the majority of patients was quite sickening. Not many head injury patients though as most of these don't survive!
I took part in a government "wear a helmet" campaighn last April in Buriram. All the big bikers were invited to turn up and support this cause to enchorage the younger generation into wearing helmets. I think over 300 helmets were given away with promotional Tee shirts etc with a paraid around the city. It is up to us all to help get the message through to the younger generation and set an example especially those that have children or grandchildren of there own Tony!
I am in the UK still recovering from my accident and I will have lost 18 months to 2 years of living my life but thanks to that helmet I still have a life yet to live.

Spot on Alan, helmets can and do save lives. I guess it's up to the individual whether they wear a helmet or not, but if your head gets smashed to pieces don't expect sympathy. it's four months ago now that our 12 year old niece was killed on a motorcycle when her head was hit from behind by a door mirror on a pick-up. Her skull was smashed and her brain ended up all over the road. Would she be alive now if she had been wearing a helmet ? Sorry about being so graphical but is your head worth only 200 baht ?

Offline finnomick

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 08:27:06 PM »
Alan, did you bring your helmet from the UK ? I brought my Roof Roadster with me and a Roof Boxer for Jen. Unfortunately the thin inner foam lining has disintegrated in both helmets. We can get them re-lined by Star Helmets in Bangkok but I am trying to source Roof here in Thailand. Roof helmets -- made in ITALY by Mavet s.r.l.

Offline davu

• Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 08:45:46 PM »
  All comments correct. I remember safety standards in the UK 40 years ago - about the same as in Thailand now. Elf and Safety has really gone over the edge in the UK now, a bit like feminism went over the top before coming back to normal. The problem here is that people don't seem to have the capacity for, or the desire for, learning or teaching, so any education funding would be wasted.

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »
Alan, did you bring your helmet from the UK ? I brought my Roof Roadster with me and a Roof Boxer for Jen. Unfortunately the thin inner foam lining has disintegrated in both helmets. We can get them re-lined by Star Helmets in Bangkok but I am trying to source Roof here in Thailand. Roof helmets -- made in ITALY by Mavet s.r.l.

Didn't know that. I allso have a Roof lid and always thought it was made in France. Learn something new every day. BTW mine has started to disintergrate too!  bike037

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
I admit to being kind of a hypocrite.  I do not usually wear a helmet in the village going to get something local, and usually when I cross 219 to 7-11 I don't have a helmet. 

But every other time I ride, I am wearing a helmet.  I have never been on scooter in Buriram without a helmet.

I want to get a full face helmet, but I want it in Red.  I have not found one in town to fit my fat farang head.   Until I get what I want I will continue to use my DOT helmet.

I road a Harley for over 20 years in the USA, and I had a Snell certified helmet.  Only dropped the bike twice, once in front yard on wet grass, and my last acknowledged stupid act on trying to take a corner too fast in 1997. 

So do yourself a favor, and wear a helmet.  Even the cheap Thai helmets when combined with your thick heads can prevent serious injury. 

mxyzptlk

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 09:52:56 PM »
Some 8/9 years ago in Prakhonchai market, early one morning whilst drinking coffee, a copper came and sat next to me and started talking.

I asked why the police did not stop the kids on their bikes and enforce the law. The answer was that the senior police chiefs had instructed "leave the kids alone". Looks like that policy is still in place.

The police, the parents and the schools should all be held accountable for every accident involving a young child riding a motorbike
Nick: The kids are left alone because they wont have 100 baht....

Offline davu

• Prolific Member
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 06:03:45 AM »

Nick: The kids are left alone because they wont have 100 baht....

No problem if they have no money. He knew he was risking being stopped. The bike stays there or goes to the police station until the  ฿100 is paid by the guy showing that he has a helmet. Guarantee you wouldn't see any more guys driving without.
Daughter in law's son got a bike yesterday, he was given a helmet. Looked like I could crack it with my bare hands but certainly better than nothing, even a head scarf will reduce injuries.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2013, 06:50:27 AM »
Make the fine 1,000 baht & all & sundry would wear one!

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 06:57:33 AM »
1000bt is too low.

Make it 5000bt. If you don't break the law you will never have to pay, so nobody can turn round and say it is too much.

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 07:39:17 AM »
Everyone wears helmets in BKK, so why not Isaan?

The only excuse is a lazy & inefficiant police force.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 08:09:12 AM »
Everyone wears helmets in BKK, so why not Isaan?

The only excuse is a lazy & inefficiant police force.

NO

50% lazy and inefficient police force

50% stupid motorcyclists

Offline Speros

• Prolific Member
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013, 08:30:46 AM »
to me it seems that in the village people just jump on there bikes and go to friends, shop or whatever...there is no thought process.......what we all know is that you cannot tell people here of what may happen if they are doing something stupid because it is like you are putting a voodoo curse on them brick1 so if anything does happen it will be your fault...no one in the TGF family wears a helmet even with one uncle who has half his head missing from an accident several years ago who used to be a teacher and now has no speech, cant use one arm, and is a burden to the family ( dont get me wrong...i like the guy). not sure if any campaign can really help the situation unless it gets real...ie..main road...no helmet... forfeit your bike. knuppel2

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick