{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Thailand to get it's own F1 Grand Prix?  (Read 40164 times)

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Thailand to get it's own F1 Grand Prix?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 12:11:01 PM »
I hope newin does build a track here.. They have a thing called track day when you can take your own vehicle around the track.. Imagine all the old boys riding there mopeds and ending up in the barrier or tyres.. Maybe all the falangs can have a race day where the winner gets a trophy .. Would bring a little more excitement to buriram

I agree toffo. I hope he builds the track. What has Buriram got to lose ? Mind you ... I don't think it will ever happen ... but I hope it does all the same.

If he has a lazy 2 billion burning a hole in his pocket ... then go for it. It takes entrepeuners like him to get these things rolling at some point.

There will need to be some serious accommodation development in the area though.

I've been to the Melbourne Grand Prix on two occasions, and really enjoyed the atmosphere and the spectacle. Was great. You get a better view of the race on TV of course, but there was so much happening at the venue to keep everyone entertained apart from the racing.

Will never take my GF again though. She was bored shitless !!    :D

Offline Albert

• Contributor with future
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 12:15:59 PM »
I hope newin does build a track here.. They have a thing called track day when you can take your own vehicle around the track.. Imagine all the old boys riding there mopeds and ending up in the barrier or tyres.. Maybe all the falangs can have a race day where the winner gets a trophy .. Would bring a little more excitement to buriram
Yes we could open a book on the Thai drivers who embarrass their self the most. bike038

Offline toffo

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 12:21:48 PM »
Haha I agree Albert.. Imagine the money the amateur emergency services would make picking them off the track..

Offline smoooth2

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 12:40:39 PM »
If you have a couple of hours to spare one afternoon, go down to the Buriram Licensing Centre and watch the Thai's try to get their drivers licence.

It's on the Buriram-Prakhon Chai Rd, on the left just before the traffic lights near Khao Kradong hill.

There is a "witches hat" slalom course up the back of the complex where the hopefuls do their driving test. No actual road test required.

You can sit in the shade with all the hopeful's "rellies" and watch the show, as the learners try and negiotate the course. Of course, most of them bring the family 2t pickup truck, which is just about the worst vehicle for a novice to try to manoeuver in and out of tricky witches hats. The clever learners bring a Mirage or Jazz. Sooooo much easier.

You will have more laughs than you've had in a long time. Mind you ... it's serious business for the hopefuls, and we've all been through this at some time in our life, but I came away from the complex with a new understanding of why so many Thai's are awful, suicidal and hopeless drivers on the road.

Offline toffo

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »
If you have a couple of hours to spare one afternoon, go down to the Buriram Licensing Centre and watch the Thai's try to get their drivers licence.

It's on the Buriram-Prakhon Chai Rd, on the left just before the traffic lights near Khao Kradong hill.

There is a "witches hat" slalom course up the back of the complex where the hopefuls do their driving test. No actual road test required.

You can sit in the shade with all the hopeful's "rellies" and watch the show, as the learners try and negiotate the course. Of course, most of them bring the family 2t pickup truck, which is just about the worst vehicle for a novice to try to manoeuver in and out of tricky witches hats. The clever learners bring a Mirage or Jazz. Sooooo much easier.

You will have more laughs than you've had in a long time. Mind you ... it's serious business for the hopefuls, and we've all been through this at some time in our life, but I came away from the complex with a new understanding of why so many Thai's are awful, suicidal and hopeless drivers on the road.

Yeah and they still pass them... Imagine how many would fail in your own country,, the roads would be so quiet oh how I wish.

Offline Albert

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »
Haha I agree Albert.. Imagine the money the amateur emergency services would make picking them off the track..
bravo1
The trophy for the worst driver. yeahme
Candidates all of Buriram province.

Offline Albert

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »

Yeah and they still pass them... Imagine how many would fail in your own country,, the roads would be so quiet oh how I wish.
I would say less than 5% of Thais would pass a British/European driving test.

Offline bartomeer

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 06:52:18 PM »
Politician-turned-football club owner Newin Chidchob plans to construct a Formula One racetrack worth about two billion baht in his hometown Buri Ram, Thai Rath reported on Thursday.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lite/breakingnews/332463/newin-to-build-f1-racetrack

Offline smoooth2

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 09:52:56 AM »

This is getting off the F1 topic, but as a 40 year professional driver and long distance transport operator back home, I feel reasonably qualified to offer the following observations on Thai drivers. (Everyone is an "expert" at something  :)

When I first arrived in Buriram, I found myself saying "WOW" at least 100 times a day !! Mostly to do with road/vehicle happenings. Now that I've been here a while, I say "WOW"  only 90 times a day !!  :D

I'd been here maybe 2 days and very nearly hit an unmarked elephant wandering along Jira Rd late at night. That got my attention pretty quick !! At that stage, I'd never ever seen an elephant outside of a big city Western zoo.

I have a secret admiration  for the way Thai's get on with their lives. Although we farangs see the road system and drivers as being pretty chaotic, it actually works ! Probably because there ARE so many scooters. Can you imagine the chaos if all the scooters were cars !!

I'm constantly amazed that I've never seen anything approaching "road rage".  Back home in Oz, people would be out of their cars in a flash, wanting to have a Barney, or blowing horns, or waving the finger, or getting agro etc. Not here. Just keep going forwards ... whatever it takes. Says a lot about the different cultures.   :biggrin:

The suicidal overtaking tactics by many drivers on the open highways always amazes me. But everyone seems to be ok with it. Wrong as it is, everyone accepts it !! One of the BIGGEST problems is slow trucks. I've never seen line haul, and delivery trucks travelling so ridiculously slow on open highways. 50-60kph is always going to cause congestion, and dangerous trouble. All trucks are capable of 80-100kph. Even the old bangers that come out twice a year at harvest time.

The apparent lack of road sense by many Thai's I think is actually wrong. Most of them have been riding scooters since 6yo, when we kids we still riding bicycles. So I reckon their "road sense" is ok. Much has to do with the congested nature of the roads, and the logic of "keep moving forwards ... whatever it takes" mentality. Now that I've got used to it, I actually find myself slipping into Thai habits driving around town.

I also think that many Thai's do not fear prosecution that much. As Westerners, we are taught that traffic infringements are serious, and costly, misdemeanours. I'm not sure Thai's have the same feelings, hence they ignore many rules.

As I see it, perhaps the biggest problem, is the Driver Licensing system, as described in my previous post. It really is way too easy, and does not reflect a drivers' readiness, or capabilities, to legally tackle the open road.

It's a BIG step up from riding a scooter, to handling a large 2t pickup truck. Many smaller Thai girls can barely see through the steering wheel, so it's no surprise that they have difficulty to negiotate narrow traffic streets, or park, or reverse.

But, that's the system. It works for Thai's. I'm ok with that. Just wish I was born with 6 eyes, instead of 2  :D

Offline Albert

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 10:15:55 AM »
In my honest opinion it doesn't work they should all be taking off the road and be giving a proper driving test,because they don't have a brain cell between them.

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »

Thailand planning for 2015
by Joe Saward
Ratchadamnoen Avenue is likely to be the main route for Thailand's first Formula One race, officials said yesterday.

Officials from the Sports Authority of Thailand, motorsport's governing body FIA, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and Royal Automobile Association of Thailand have met to discuss the possibility of a night Grand Prix on the streets of Bangkok in 2015. The route agreed includes the main Ratchadamnoen Avenue, with the track using Din So Road to the Giant Swing and Wat Suthat Temple and then down to the Grand Palace and the Navy Club, with a run close to the Chao Phraya River. The paddock and grandstands would be located principally in the Sanam Luang park. The plan will be put to the Thai cabinet in the next few weeks. The

Concerned parties will draw a master plan and seek Cabinet approval within six weeks.

Sports Authority of Thailand governor Kanokphand Chulakasem said that contracts have yet to be signed but the plan is for the event for a night race, similar to the event in Singapore.

TBWG buriram_united sawadi

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »
It will never happen....................

Offline Antonio

• Prolific Member
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 07:04:42 AM »
It will never happen....................
I hope you're right Co-Co.

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 09:07:24 PM »
Bangkok has given the green light to a Formula One racing route, which will host the city’s first Formula One race in 2015.

According to Kanokphand Chulakasem, governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand, a group of experts selected a 5.995-kilometer route that will take racers on a tour of Bangkok’s central landmarks, including the Grand Palace, Temple of Dawn and Victory Monument.

The Royal Dock Yard will serve as the race’s beginning and endpoint.

According to the Bangkok Post, the Sports Authority has proposed building makeshift stands to house up to 150,000 spectators. As the route will take racers by the banks of the Chao Phraya, some of these stands may be constructed on the river itself.

TBWG buriram_united sawadi

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 12:47:08 AM »
I sense a disaster coming....

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod