{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Gay Activists Call For Same-Sex Marriage Law In Thailand  (Read 10795 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Gay Activists Call For Same-Sex Marriage Law In Thailand
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:15:03 AM »
Gay activists call for same-sex marriage law
By The Nation
2011-05-31

Rights activists for the so-called "third sex" - gays, lesbians and transsexuals - have urged political parties to allow a same-sex marriage law.

Natee Teerarojjanapongs, president of the Sexual Diversity Group and the Gay Political Group of Thailand, and transsexual singer known as Jim Sarah (Sujinrat Prachathai) said yesterday they would visit the Democrat and Pheu Thai parties today to submit a letter asking them to issue such a law for the "third gender" if they lead the next government.

Natee claimed 10 per cent or around four million voters were "third sex".

"We've not seen any policies set up for us although we are also voters," he said.

Their groups will seek commitments from the parties and say they will reward promises of action by campaigning for votes among their supporters.

Jim, who is recognised as a woman in New Zealand but not in Thailand, said 14 countries around the world had same-sex marriage laws, while almost 30 countries had a partner or union law. The laws helped same-sex couples to live together legally.

"Although we have lived together like a husband and wife for 17 years, we cannot decide anything legally for each other. For example, if I need to have an urgent operation, my partner cannot sign to allow surgeons to do the operation for me because we're not a legal couple," Natee said.

manupete

Re: Gay Activists Call For Same-Sex Marriage Law In Thailand
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:21:18 AM »
I agree,why should just straight people have the burden of marriage/divorce. :biggrin:

isanbirder

Re: Gay Activists Call For Same-Sex Marriage Law In Thailand
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 12:23:30 PM »
I agree,why should just straight people have the burden of marriage/divorce. :biggrin:

A lot of people in this country, Thais as well as farangs, don't seem to find it much of a burden;  they just go off to Pattaya every few weeks.

Seriously, though, why shouldn't gay people be allowed to commit to each other if they want to, and get the same legal rights as married couples?

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick