{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Malaysia sends 66 boys to anti-gay camp  (Read 18301 times)

Dave the Dude

Malaysia sends 66 boys to anti-gay camp
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:31:48 AM »

Malaysia sends 66 boys to anti-gay camp

Muslim schoolboys thought to show "effeminate" traits sent to camp "guide them back to the right path"
. .
Anti-gay Muslim Malaysian students hold placards during a protest against U.S. glam rocker Adam Lambert's concert in Bukit Jalil, outside Kuala Lumpur, Oct. 14, 2010.  (Getty)

(AP) 
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia- Malaysian authorities have sent 66 Muslim schoolboys identified by teachers as effeminate to a four-day camp where they will receive counseling on masculine behavior to discourage them from being gay, an official said Tuesday.

Gay rights advocates decried the measure as a symptom of widespread homophobia in this Muslim-majority country where gay sex is illegal.

The boys between 13 and 17 years old reported Monday for what is officially being called a "self-development course" after their schoolteachers in Terengganu state identified them as students who displayed effeminate mannerisms, said Razali Daud, the state's education director.

They will undergo religious and motivational classes and physical guidance, Razali said. He declined to give further details.

The camp is meant "to guide them back to the right path in life before they reach a point of no return," Razali told The Associated Press. "Such effeminate behavior is unnatural and will affect their studies and their future."

It is the first such program in Terengganu, a conservative state. Over the years, Terengganu's officials have held programs aimed at promoting Muslim morality, such as offering free honeymoons to save the marriages of couples considering divorce.

Razali denied the boys were compelled to attend the camp, saying they were simply "invited" to do so. After it ends, their teachers and parents will monitor and continue advising them.

"It is not an overnight cure," he said. "We can't force the boys to change, but we want them to know what their choices are in life. Some effeminate boys end up as a transvestite or a homosexual, but we want to do our best to limit this."

Pang Khee Teik, the co-founder of a Malaysian sexual rights awareness group, called the camp "outrageous."

"If we don't do anything to stop the rot of homophobia ... I worry it may get worse," he said.

Gay Malaysians say they face discrimination from government policies such as a law that makes sodomy punishable by 20 years in prison. The law is seldom and selectively enforced, but some states also impose jail terms for public cross-dressing.

Last year, a young gay Malaysian who posted a Youtube clip defending his sexuality received online death threats. Government authorities accused him of insulting Islam, though no official action was taken.

Malaysia's most high-profile use of the anti-sodomy law involves opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim, who is on trial on charges of having sex with a male former aide. Anwar, who is married with six children, insists the charge was fabricated to smear his reputation. The government denies plotting against him.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
Re: Malaysia sends 66 boys to anti-gay camp
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 07:59:15 AM »
If they indroced similar measures over here therte would be a large 'boot camp' in every village

Offline Pee Nuu

• Contributor on the right way
  • huh..??
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:00:43 AM »
If they indroced similar measures over here therte would be a large 'boot camp' in every village
Yep...right up your alley, Nooks. punk

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:10:39 AM »
WITH jobs for Nick & CoCo as 'Camp Commandants'

Offline Pee Nuu

• Contributor on the right way
  • huh..??
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:18:26 AM »
WITH jobs for Nick & CoCo as 'Camp Commandants'
DtD could help easily.... slapfight

Dave the Dude

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 08:48:15 AM »
I am always willing to help a friend, you should try it some time. Getting a friend, that is!

isanbirder

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:09:02 AM »
If you wanted to meet katoeys in KL, all you had to do was go down near the Railway Station;  like Thai katoeys, they had a reputation for being light-fingered.  Very common among young Malays.

Offline Adam

• Active member on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »
Light fingered eh??!!

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »
Nookie can take care of the gays. Coco and I will be Camp Commandants for the lesbian camp which will surely follow.

isanbirder

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 06:48:22 PM »
Nookie can take care of the gays. Coco and I will be Camp Commandants for the lesbian camp which will surely follow.

There are NO Lesbian Muslims;  Queen Victoria could have told you women wouldn't do such things!

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 07:20:59 PM »

There are NO Lesbian Muslims;  Queen Victoria could have told you women wouldn't do such things!

I somehow doubt that. I will request Nookie and Coco to make it their mission over the coming months to search out  some, and refer them to me for verification!

manupete

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 07:26:08 PM »

Oh yes there is  :laugh:.........quite a few in fact.....click here

They are inspired by Gaddafi's all-female bodyguard's.  spot1

den Buut

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 07:59:31 PM »
Well said Boloa even though you have put me out of a job!

isanbirder

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 06:23:28 AM »

Oh yes there is  :laugh:.........quite a few in fact.....click here

They are inspired by Gaddafi's all-female bodyguard's.  spot1

The reference to Queen Victoria should have told you that was a legpull.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick