{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Govt hopes to bring down number of deaths. SONGKRAN FESTIVAL.  (Read 8429 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
SONGKRAN FESTIVAL

Govt hopes to bring down number of deaths

By The Nation
2011-04-08

Strict measures lined up as authorities aim to Songkran

The authorities are hoping to cut the number of deaths and injuries during this year's Songkran period by at least 5 per cent.

During the same period last year, 361 people were killed in road accidents and 3,802 others injured.

"We will enforce several strict measures to promote road safety during this Songkran period," Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said yesterday.

The measures include the strict enforcement of laws related to the sale of alcohol and drunkdriving and having medical teams fully prepared and on standby.

"We aim to have emergency medical teams arrive at accident sites in 10 minutes of receiving calls on our 1669 hotline," Jurin said.

The secretarygeneral of the Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand (Narendhorn), Dr Chatri Charoensuchevakul, said the hotline was a tollfree number.

"We have 100,000 members ready to take action around the clock." He said the team had a fleet of more than 10,000 cars, trucks and vans, in addition to 1,000 boats and 100 helicopters.

"We will have ambulances on standby at more than 100 accidentprone spots as well," Chatri said, adding that the sites had been identified by the Highway Department.

Thais celebrate the Songkran festival each year by splashing water at each other, partying, visiting relatives or travelling. Though the festival officially runs from April 13 to 15, many people take the entire week off, which is usually deemed the "Seven Dangerous Days of Songkran".

This year, the "Seven Dangerous Days" run from April 1117. Since drunk driving accounted for 40 per cent of the accidents during last Songkran, the authorities have decided to make this year's festival period alcoholfree.

Roadside shops and minimarts in petrol stations will undergo random checks because they are barred from selling alcohol during the period. Also, all shops have to stick to the rules of selling alcohol only between 11am and 2pm and 5pm and midnight.

An official from the Bureau of Epidemiology said yesterday that on average, up to 1,100 children below the age of 14 are injured in road accidents during the Songkran period every year.

isanbirder

Re: Govt hopes to bring down number of deaths. SONGKRAN FESTIVAL.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
I suppose hope is better than despair... but it doesn't inspire me with much confidence.

Offline nico

• Contributor with future
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 04:45:54 PM »
I was driving down road 24 last year during songkran couple of times and boy the traffic was crazy. I dont wonder why so many people get killed they drive so insane, big busses passing other cars and just flashing lights to someone whos coming fom the opposite direction. Extreme holiday in Thailand. 

isanbirder

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 05:04:20 PM »
I was driving down road 24 last year during songkran couple of times and boy the traffic was crazy. I dont wonder why so many people get killed they drive so insane, big busses passing other cars and just flashing lights to someone whos coming fom the opposite direction. Extreme holiday in Thailand. 

You mean X-games on the highways?

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM