{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Thai food vendors hit by rising prices.  (Read 10844 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Thai food vendors hit by rising prices.
« on: February 28, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »
Thai food vendors hit by rising prices
The Nation: 28 Feb 2011
By Petchanet Pratruangkrai

Food retailers complain of rising prices

Prices of rubber bands have more than doubled

In these days of soaring commodity prices, food vendors have more than just the cost of palm oil on their plates - the price of rubber bands has more than doubled to Bt180 per kilogram.

The rise is due to increase in rubber prices, which now stand at Bt172 a kilo, the highest ever.

Food retailers last week complained to the Commerce Ministry, saying they had to shoulder higher production costs due to rising commodities prices.

Retailers said their suppliers of raw ingredients, including soybean sauce, MSG and canned-fish, planned to increase their prices by 10 per cent due to the higher cost of raw materials such as soybeans, tapioca and vegetable oil.

In addition, the ministry has found that some rubber-tyre traders have increased retail prices even though the product's price is controlled by the Internal Trade Department.

The ministry also received complaints from retailers and consumers about higher sugar prices. They complained the retail price of sugar had surged to Bt28-30 a kilo, above the controlled price of Bt23.50 a kilo.

A source from the ministry said the higher sugar price was due to the increasing price of sugar on the world market.

This has resulted in a smuggling problem, as the price of sugar in neighbouring countries is quoted at Bt35-40 a kilo.

Some food traders have also abused the sugar allocation system, as the price of sugar allocated for domestic consumption is lower than that for industrial usage.

To solve the problem and prevent shortages, the source said the ministry would soon meet with the Industry Ministry to ensure the correct usage of sugar allocations by industrial enterprises.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/02/28/business/Food-retaIlers-complaIn-of-rIsIng-prIces-30149686.html

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
Re: Thai food vendors hit by rising prices.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 02:27:35 PM »
The price of beef continues to march upwards too!!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 03:06:05 PM »
Thai beef. Good or not?!......???

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 05:28:50 AM »
Thai beef. Good or not?!......???
Thai Beef,,,Very Good providing you have a lady who knows how to really cook

Offline Cyrus

• http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 01:38:09 PM »
That’s right! You would have observed that it is our main concern and more people are really having this what we call economic recession due to food inflation as the result of gas price hike. As what I have read in this link: Late credit card payments at their lowest since 1994, though it might seems so difficult, this made us responsible enough to handle debt payments because we have learned on how to divide properly our money in a manageable way.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 03:38:43 PM »
Cooking oil has reduced substantially from 3/4 months ago!

Charlie

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:19:42 AM »
Have the prices peaked now?

When I made my most recent "trip" to Makro yesterday the prices of some things, particularly chicken and pork had gone down.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:27:04 AM »

When I made my most recent "trip" to Makro yesterday the prices of some things, particularly chicken and pork had gone down.
Chicken has fallen a lot but I havent noticed Pork dropping,,,,,Eggs are on the up as is Rice

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 09:28:27 AM »

Chicken has fallen a lot but I havent noticed Pork dropping,,,,,Eggs are on the up as is Rice

I bought some pork at 145 a kilo. 10 baht cheaper than the time before. Don't know about rice as we eat our own.

Offline doug

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 11:01:33 AM »

so glad to see rice on the up,i am going to make a nice little earner this year. moneysmile moneysmile

Offline Really?

• Contributor with future
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 12:13:56 PM »

so glad to see rice on the up,i am going to make a nice little earner this year. moneysmile moneysmile

Depends how much you have and to whom you are selling, Doug. Unless you are exporting it yourself or selling directly to an exporter you are unlikely to make that much.

Rice millers are still quoting the same price as last year. Well below the price mentioned by the new Government.

Don't forget the pledge of 20000 baht a tonne is the price the Government will expect it to be after it has passed through several pairs of hands.

I would imagine it will be the same old prices. Max 13baht kilo for premium jasmine rice. Other types between 8 and 11 baht.

Offline doug

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 12:30:22 PM »

Depends how much you have and to whom you are selling, Doug. Unless you are exporting it yourself or selling directly to an exporter you are unlikely to make that much.

Rice millers are still quoting the same price as last year. Well below the price mentioned by the new Government.

Don't forget the pledge of 20000 baht a tonne is the price the Government will expect it to be after it has passed through several pairs of hands.

I would imagine it will be the same old prices. Max 13baht kilo for premium jasmine rice. Other types between 8 and 11 baht.
well it's already 14.50b a kilo.and expected to rise again next month to at least 16b a kilo.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »
Those are listed prices. An aunt of mine went to sell dome rice last week. The price listed was indeed 14.5 baht a kilo.

Within a few minutes, due to some bullsh#$ from the miller the price was down to 12. You can only get what they will offer. Don't forget that the rice millers are all part of a co operative. They will all offer the same prices.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick