{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Electricity Bills  (Read 6898 times)

Offline Adam

• Active member on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Electricity Bills
« on: December 05, 2010, 11:11:22 AM »
Hi Guys

Just wondering how much you guys pay for electricity per month, I have always thought mine were rather high, but of course had nothing to compare it with.

My bills are between 1500 and 2000 baht per month, but that is for a 6 bedroom house with basically 7 adults. No air con, but cooling is by electric fan, one in every room, (which I spend half my time turning off cos they have been left on with nobody in the room!). We have 2 fridges, 3 tvs and water comes from water pump (and we do use quite a lot of water!!).

What do you reckon, too high, if so any recommendations (other than kick out the kids haha).

Cheers Adam

boloa

Re: Electricity Bills
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:06:43 PM »
I have a two bedroom house and there are 2 adults and a child.My bills are around 750 baht  and up to 1300 baht in the hot season when we use the aircon in the bedroom at night.We have a front loading washing wash ( one wash a day ) fridge and the normal mod cons but cook by gas.Your bill sounds quite low to me for a large house and 7 adults !!!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 05:32:44 PM »
Wish I had these kind of bills.

My bills for the shop and the house (washing machine,small fridge and other regular stuff in the house), in summer season almost all day long the aircon is working (36,000 BTU), 14 computers+printer, etc.

Summer(around 8 months/year): Bill is around 4500-6000 Baht/month.
Winter(around 4 months/year): Bill is around 3000-4000 Baht/month.

Cheer up!  fastclapping

isanbirder

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »
We have a biggish house with two aircons used every night in the summer, two other aircons used occasionally, three water heaters, plus a minimart (aircon in the summer, two drinks freezers all year round) and a pig farm. The total bill is about 10,000 in summer, 6,000 in winter.  The house alone is 2,500 - 3,000 in summer, 1,500 in winter.  The latter includes two water pumps, and sometimes a third.

boloa

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 06:57:39 PM »
Because I am such a helpful guy here is my top ten tips on how to save money on your electric bills biggrinbar

#1 Bigger is not necessarily better
Be sure your air conditioner is the right size for the room. Obviously, if it's too small, it won't do the job. But a unit that’s too big will result in reduced efficiency, higher electric bills, uncomfortable temperature fluctuations and excessive wear and tear, which means you'll probably have to buy a replacement unit much sooner.Also do you really need that big fridge,TV, Sound system ,big electric cooker or are they just for show to impress your wife's friends,think before you buy.!!
#2  Make sure off is really off 
Even when you think an appliance or device is turned off, the power may still be on if it is plugged in. This is especially true with equipment that has a transformer (that small black cube on the end of the cord). If your outlets aren't easily accessible, plug small appliances, such as your radio, electric razor, battery charger, etc., into a power strip. Make sure the TV,computer , VCR and anything else that has a standby is switch off before you go to bed.When you are shopping for a printer, scanner or other computer peripherals, spend a few extra baht to buy one that will automatically go into “sleep mode” or turn off when it isn't being used. On the other hand, be selective about which devices you really want with “instant on” convenience (like your television set and DVD player), because they continuously draw electricity
#3 Soften those rays 
Closing the curtains and lowering the blinds on the sunny side of your house will help keep you cooler on hot days.I plant trees in front of my  bedroom windows,It may take a few years for them to grow, but eventually they will shade my home and lower my air-conditioning costs.
#4 Change or clean Filters Regularly
Clean filters on the aircon and other appliances on a regular basic,even cleaning fans of dust can save electric.I have a friend that asked me if I knew an Aircon service company as his aircon was not as cold as it should be .I showed him how to clean the filters and now they are back to full power.A Aircon service company would have charged his 500 baht a unit to do the same think.Make it a habit to routinely clean under your refrigerator, plus the coils on the backside. Accumulating dust will cause the compressor to work overtime!.
#5  Keep the refrigerator full
Keeping your refrigerator full not only extends it’s lifespan, but helps save power too.  The reason is that air changes temperature very quickly, whereas solid food and liquids take a while to cool down or heat up.  So, everytime an empty fridge is opened, the cool air is quickly replaced by warmer outside air, causing the fridge to be overworked, which results in a higher electricity bill.As I have said in #1 ,do you really need that big fridge,buy a smaller one and keep it full.
#6 Cook with gas
Whereas electric stoves take a long time to heat up, gas is instantaneous.  By switching to gas, not only will you reduce your electricity bill, but cooking time will be shorter and you’ll have greater control over adjusting the heat.
#7 Buying new appliances
When it comes time to replace any of your appliances, be sure to choose a replacement that is energy efficient. You can check the efficiency of the appliances by reading the EnergyGuide label on the front of the appliance
#8 Kettles
If you have one of those Urn type kettles that stay on all day,throw it out and buy a small kettle to use on the gas.Those electric  Urn type kettles can cost up to 4-500 baht a month if they are left on all the time
#9 Aircon again
Do you really need it set in 18 degrees ,25-26 is cool enough for most people.Just remember for every degree you lower your temperature it will cost you  three percent more in your energy running costs. 
#10 Save Money
So you can see, you don’t have to start living in the dark to reduce your electricity bill.  And beyond popular belief, it’s not how many gadgets you have that determines your electricity bill, but how you use them.  Make high electricity bills a thing of the past and start practicing these small changes today.  Before you know it, saving power will become a way of life.

Boloa .... cool1

Offline lahansai

• Contributor with future
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 08:01:27 PM »
1000+- baht a month but very basic electic devices at home.
pc,washing machine,fan,tv.
no aircon.

Offline Adam

• Active member on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 03:56:16 AM »
Thanks for the replies Guys,

So it would seem my bills are not too bad everything considered.

BOLOA, thanks for the advice, now I have to try to teach that to the kids. I cant even get them to turn off the fan or tv when they leave the room, let alone unplug as well!

Did get rid of the  urn kettle, last time I was home, I figured that must be wasting electricity.

I don't have air con, a fan is enough for me, I get sick if I stay somewhere with air con for too long.

I don't have a washing machine, I have bought my wife 2 over the years. But she prefers to do the washing by hand, as she says the machine does not get the clothes as clean as she can by hand. (I'm going to buy her a new rock to bash them on!!)

I don't have an electric cooker, my wife prefers to use either gas or the clay ovens with charcoal.

As you can see my wife is not HI-So, thats why I love her love2

Thanks again Adam

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 07:32:12 AM »
Wish I had these kind of bills.

My bills for the shop and the house (washing machine,small fridge and other regular stuff in the house), in summer season almost all day long the aircon is working (36,000 BTU), 14 computers+printer, etc.

Summer(around 8 months/year): Bill is around 4500-6000 Baht/month.
Winter(around 4 months/year): Bill is around 3000-4000 Baht/month.

Cheer up!  fastclapping

Wow, only have 11 computers, but have 2 AC.   running about the same, 4000 -6000 baht.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick