{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving  (Read 130668 times)

Offline F1ART

• Contributor with future
Re: Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2013, 01:38:30 AM »
Interim report.

I tried to get new Driver's licenses on 11 Feb, hoped to get 5 year.  I had my Passport (copies of main page and current Thai visa).  It was not enough.

1.  The Driver's License place has changed.  You now drive into a gated area (white and purple), immediately turn right and park.  Enter the building and go to the 2nd floor for a Driver's License. 

2.  Had to get new Police Report.  If you need to do this, hopefully have copy of old one to show them. Their filing system is an empty paper box.   Also the room moved from the 2nd floor right side front to middle left back 2nd floor.  Make sure you have recent Photo.

3.  Need Doctor's certificate.  Last year I got from an actual doctor that at least listened to my heart, cost 40 Baht.  This year because I was  trying about 2 pm, used a skin clinic, cost 100 baht, but there was no check on anything, the desk clerk completed the form.   

So tomorrow, 14 Feb I hope to get my new 5 year licenses, will update on progress. 

But from what I gather so far, I need to have:

-Previous Thai Driver's Licenses
-Copy of Police report (if have Yellow book not needed)
-Medical report (1 for each License)
-Passport and 1 year "visa" (copy for each license)

Hopefully I will update tomorrow that I was success in getting new Licenses. 

And of course some Baht?

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2013, 08:33:41 AM »
Interim report.

I tried to get new Driver's licenses on 11 Feb, hoped to get 5 year.  I had my Passport (copies of main page and current Thai visa).  It was not enough.

1.  The Driver's License place has changed.  You now drive into a gated area (white and purple), immediately turn right and park.  Enter the building and go to the 2nd floor for a Driver's License. 

2.  Had to get new Police Report.  If you need to do this, hopefully have copy of old one to show them. Their filing system is an empty paper box.   Also the room moved from the 2nd floor right side front to middle left back 2nd floor.  Make sure you have recent Photo.

3.  Need Doctor's certificate.  Last year I got from an actual doctor that at least listened to my heart, cost 40 Baht.  This year because I was  trying about 2 pm, used a skin clinic, cost 100 baht, but there was no check on anything, the desk clerk completed the form.   

So tomorrow, 14 Feb I hope to get my new 5 year licenses, will update on progress. 

Why did you not read my post? That is exactly the list of documents I stated. Could have saved yourself a wasted trip.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »

Had urleft been toting his handgun, he may well have got his licence first time round!

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »
Got my 2 licenses renewed, for 5+ years each.  As mentioned earlier the license uses your birthday as the expiration date. 

Since I needed 2 license, I needed 2 sets of papers (Police report, medical, and passport/visa), all copies have to be signed. 

Had to take 4 quick tests:

-  Color at light (Red, Green, Yellow (you can say the color in English))
-  Depth perception (aligning 2 objects in a box by pulling 2 ropes)
-  Being able to hit the break quickly when light turns red
-  Peripheral vision with color (Red, Green, Yellow)

Once passing those test you take your paperwork to a clerk.  The girl I had last year was no longer there, and the new one did not speak English.  She seemed hung up on my May  2012 re-entry stamp and called immigration about it.  I still don't understand the issue as I had just completed my 1 year Retirement extention 3 weeks ago, and showed to it to her.   

The cost for 2 (Car and Motorcycle) Licenses was 980 Baht.  That leaves you 20 baht to buy a colored license cover at 10 baht each. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »
Here's a pic of the new building.  It is basically on the main road, you are supposed to enter only at the West and exit at the East, however TIT, watch out for exiting cars as you enter. 

For vehicle tags it is the 1st office on the left as you enter, go up the stairs and turn right for driver's licenses. 

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2013, 07:19:25 AM »
Interim report.

Why did you not read my post? That is exactly the list of documents I stated. Could have saved yourself a wasted trip.

Steve you cannot educate pork!

Offline Bicko

• Muang Tam temple
    • Enjoying our success
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »
My 5 year Thailand driving license will expire in September. Has anyone been through this process to renew a 5 year license?
Any advice or details of application would be appreciated.
I do recall that i attempted to get my 5 year license a few days before my 1 year license had expired and i was told that i had to wait until the 1 year license had expired - so i went in next day and no problems.
Can I renew my 5 year beforehand and what is needed? bike038

Offline Mikeh

• http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2013, 08:35:24 AM »
Lots of useful information  Maybe somebody can help I have lost my UK driving licence and cannot get a replacement unless I go to UK   I dont want to do that    I want to get a Thai MC licence   What is the process any advice would helpful

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »
Lots of useful information  Maybe somebody can help I have lost my UK driving licence and cannot get a replacement unless I go to UK   I dont want to do that    I want to get a Thai MC licence   What is the process any advice would helpful

You can go to the test centre with the documents listed above. The only difference is that yo will have to take a series of tests that would not be required if you had your UK licence.

Offline Mikeh

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2013, 08:45:44 AM »
Thanks for fast response  One further question My thai is very limited  So can i get a thai highway code book in english Silly question really  but what info do i need to pass the test

Offline Somnat

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2013, 08:50:27 AM »

You can go to the test centre with the documents listed above. The only difference is that yo will have to take a series of tests that would not be required if you had your UK licence.

And even having to do the "whole nine yards" is NOT hard. They definitely will assist you getting through the hoops.

It can actually be a fun morning if you get in the "spirit" of things.

Just as an aside ... I had to do this 18 months ago due to my Thai 5 year license having expired for 2 months ????

I did go straight onto another 5 year (actually 5 years and 9 months) though :)

Offline Mikeh

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2013, 08:55:17 AM »
Thanks for info   I will do some research and learn the thai basics     I live near Krasang  mid way bteween Buri Ram And Surin   Where would the best place to apply for the licence

Offline candy

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2013, 11:25:02 AM »
Thanks for info   I will do some research and learn the thai basics     I live near Krasang  mid way bteween Buri Ram And Surin   Where would the best place to apply for the licence

DVLD. thumbup

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2013, 11:27:11 AM »
Try Krasang. Every district should have their own driving licence centre.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »
There is a copy of Thai Highway code in English in the driving test centres.You'll need to study it before doing the multi choice computer test!

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick