{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving  (Read 129476 times)

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
Re: Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 06:48:01 PM »
What's a European drivers licence worth in Thailand, do I have to get a Thai licence or international licence? drivinggear

Please read information above thumbup, its so easy to issue a Thai driving licence.

European driving licence is also acceptable here in Thailand, but if you are going to live here or staying here for long periods, so why not issue a Thai driving licence?
First time it will be valid for 1 year.
Later just before expire you will have to go back to the Transportation office in Buriram and get it extended for additional 5 years!   drivinggear

European driving licenses are NOT acceptable. From personal experience.

You need to get ether Thai license or international license.

Thai Police have no idea what an International Driving Licence is, as Thai is not one of the languages printed in it. You might as well give them a Tesco Club Card.

I have many times produced my EU licence and it has been no problem with the BIB. In saying that, I do agree that it's a good idea to get either a Thai Motorcycle Licence or a car one or both and don't forget you will need a Residence letter from Immigration(500b) plus Doctor cert(about 50b).
An International Driving Licence is printed in which language you request it,you pay for each country you request!!

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 07:51:39 AM »
What's a European drivers licence worth in Thailand, do I have to get a Thai licence or international licence? drivinggear

Please read information above thumbup, its so easy to issue a Thai driving licence.

European driving licence is also acceptable here in Thailand, but if you are going to live here or staying here for long periods, so why not issue a Thai driving licence?
Later just before expire you will have to go back to the Transportation office in Buriram and get it extended for additional 5 years!   drivinggear

Thai Police have no idea what an International Driving Licence is, as Thai is not one of the languages printed in it. You might as well give them a Tesco Club Card.

I have many times produced my EU licence and it has been no problem with the BIB. In saying that, I do agree that it's a good idea to get either a Thai Motorcycle Licence or a car one or both and don't forget you will need a Residence letter from Immigration(500b) plus Doctor cert(about 50b). 
Had this conversation before on another forum. The driving licence centre in Buriram accept a letter of residence from the local police station. This is easy to obtain and costs anything upto 100 baht ,depending on the current price of coffee!!!!!!!!

Copy of House Registration.
Copy of ID card of first names occupant on the house book.
Copy of passport(various pages).
Two photos
Big smile and some patience.
You will also be required to give finger prints.

If you are working in Thailand you can skip all of that and use your work permit.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 08:04:50 AM »

Had this conversation before on another forum. The driving licence centre in Buriram accept a letter of residence from the local police station. This is easy to obtain and costs anything upto 100 baht ,depending on the current price of coffee!!!!!!!!

Copy of House Registration.
Copy of ID card of first names occupant on the house book.
Copy of passport(various pages).
Two photos
Big smile and some patience.
You will also be required to give finger prints.

If you are working in Thailand you can skip all of that and use your work permit.
Photos have not been required since the new type of licence was introduced,,,,,I've never been asked to provide fingerprints,,,,,,,That must only be for suspicious looking characters

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 09:18:14 AM »
Sorry. I should have made it clear that the photos and fingerprints are required by the police station, for the letter of residence, not the license centre.

The centre in Muang Buriram do indeed take photos themselves for the new style license, although for some they have to use a wide angled lense but I'm sure you knew that. party4
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:21:16 AM by Starman »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 12:13:33 PM »
It has been pointed out to me t
Sorry. I should have made it clear that the photos and fingerprints are required by the police station, for the letter of residence, not the license centre.

The centre in Muang Buriram do indeed take photos themselves for the new style license, although for some they have to use a wide angled lense but I'm sure you knew that. party4

It has been pointed out to me that I have made some spelling errors in my last post. Should really spell licence with a "C" as I am from UK, lense does not have and "E" and I should really pay more attention when I am taking the P@#s out of large people.

Most 'umbley sorry your portliness.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 04:06:12 PM by ADMIN »

Offline Jamaw

• Contributor on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »
There is no such thing as an international licence or permit. All that these permits do is 'confirm' that the licence holder has a valid licence for the said country that is recognised by Thailand. The EU licence is recognised by Thailand but only for one year. This is standard for most countries as the UK will recognise most countries but with a 12 month validity only. I can recall many Americans based in UK returning to USA and re-applying for the 12 month permit again and again as they had no hope of passing the driving test!

When I worked in the Middle East as a training manager for an Institute I had a list of countries that accepted and those that didn't, much of it was political and little to do with standards. Some require an international permit only to clarify the details on the licence. I had one written in Arabic! An international permit without the licence for the said country is not valid but how many Thai police know or even care about that?

mxyzptlk

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 01:44:13 PM »
There is no such thing as an international licence or permit. All that these permits do is 'confirm' that the licence holder has a valid licence for the said country that is recognised by Thailand. The EU licence is recognised by Thailand but only for one year. This is standard for most countries as the UK will recognise most countries but with a 12 month validity only. I can recall many Americans based in UK returning to USA and re-applying for the 12 month permit again and again as they had no hope of passing the driving test!

When I worked in the Middle East as a training manager for an Institute I had a list of countries that accepted and those that didn't, much of it was political and little to do with standards. Some require an international permit only to clarify the details on the licence. I had one written in Arabic! An international permit without the licence for the said country is not valid but how many Thai police know or even care about that?

Jamaw,
Your first sentence says there is no such thing as an international licence or permit, but in the next sentence you say "all these permits do..." and later you say some countries require an international permit....
So can we agree that there is such a thing as an "International Driving Permit"?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:51:11 PM by mxyzptlk »

Offline rocco

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 09:02:47 AM »
Dave, What are you saying about having a residence permit? 
I am a twice a year visitor to Thailand, Buriram mostly and doubt by the name "residence letter " that I would qualify, right?  But TIT!  Hope you can explain this.  I read all the posts before this and must have missed it. 

For Admin, your original post said 4. Letter from Immigration confirming your address in the area.  Just bring your rental agreement alt. house book (if you own your own home) with you. 

The only immigration I know of is in BKK, is that what we are talking about? No problem if it is.  I don't have a rental agreement, can make on up I suppose. 

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:51:02 AM by Admin »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 09:53:40 AM »
Dave, What are you saying about having a residence permit? 
I am a twice a year visitor to Thailand, Buriram mostly and doubt by the name "residence letter " that I would qualify, right?  But TIT!  Hope you can explain this.  I read all the posts before this and must have missed it. 

For Admin, your original post said 4. Letter from Immigration confirming your address in the area.  Just bring your rental agreement alt. house book (if you own your own home) with you. 

The only immigration I know of is in BKK, is that what we are talking about? No problem if it is.  I don't have a rental agreement, can make on up I suppose. 

Thanks
There is also an immigration office in Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima). sawadi
If you are staying in your girlfriend/wife house you can bring her house book (Tabian Ban) to show address.
They need an address for the driving licence anyway.
drivinggear

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Rocco......If you read my previous post above you will see that you do not have to go to Immigration at all. Just Buriram police station.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 10:10:02 AM »
Rocco......If you read my previous post above you will see that you do not have to go to Immigration at all. Just Buriram police station.
Thats also an option. thumbup

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 10:23:06 AM »
A question

My driving licence (lifetime) shows my address in Pattaya which I vacated 11 years ago. Can the local driving licence centre change it, or must I first de-register from Pattaya in person?

Offline rocco

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 10:28:07 AM »
Thats also an option. thumbup
Thanks again guys.  Lots of good information in this thread that I did not know!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »
A question

My driving licence (lifetime) shows my address in Pattaya which I vacated 11 years ago. Can the local driving licence centre change it, or must I first de-register from Pattaya in person?

A very good question, I think the answer is simple to go to transportation office in Buriram with documents showing your current address in Buriram and let them update the system along with a new driving licence card (+Fee for the new card).
sawadi

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 07:28:08 PM »
Got my Thai Driver's Licenses today, one for Auto the other for Motorcycle.   bike037

With an IDP (indicating both Motorcycle and Auto) I did not have to take a written test.  But had to have 2 copied of my IDP with expiration date, photo, and English version of what the categories A & B mean on the IDP. 

If you need copies, you have to go to the main road and a copy center is right there, about a baht a copy.  No copies at the License building.

Also had to take 4 quick coordination/color tests:

- Using a kind of random order stoplight, state the color as Red, Green, or Yellow (they accepted my English)
- Put foot on a gas pedal, and brake when red come up.
- Pull a string and align 2 sticks from about 10 meters away.
- Put your nose against a board and say when your peripheral visions shows Red, Green, or Yellow.

There were 3 of us that took this and the guy rushed us through in about 1.5 minutes (worked for me). 

They take digital pictures now, so no extra photos required. 

The English speaking License TG said something about getting a 5 year next time, but not on a tourist visa.  I also assume it's as Admin said about waiting until after the license expires. 

I met a Brit here that did not have an IDP and had to take the written test for motorcycle.  My TG said next week the license place is changing in that if you have to take a written test, you will have to have 4 (up from 2) hours of class beforehand. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick