{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: English to be made second language in Thailand schools  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
English to be made second language in Thailand schools
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:52:19 AM »
English to be made second language in Thailand schools 
Bangkok Post: 7 Oct 2010
English to be made 2nd language in schools

The Education Ministry plans to declare English the second language for teaching and learning in schools with an aim to enable Thai people of the new generation to communicate with other people in Asean and world communities in English, Chinaworn Boonyakiat said on Thursday.

The education minister said he had discussed this matter with Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij.

A plan to develop learning and teaching in English is being drafted by the Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC), he said.

Mr Chinaworn said in order to successfully carry out the plan it is necessary to have foreign teachers from countries using English as the mother language for all schools for Mathayom 4-6 level (Grades 10-12).

Schools for Mathayom 1-3 level (Grade 7-9) should at least have Thai teachers majoring in English.

Elementary schools should also have more English teachers, he said.

"After having enough foreign teachers and Thai teachers majoring in English, schools will then be able to arrange an English programme," he said.

Mr Chinaworn said the OBEC will decide how many foreign teachers are needed, the Finance Ministry will be asked to provide budgetary support, and the Foreign Ministry will be asked to help recruit foreign teachers.

"We have eyed American teachers who are retired under an early retirement programme," he said.

Mr Chinaworn said the ministry has tentatively set Oct 22 to declare English second language in schools.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/200241/english-to-be-made-2nd-language-in-schools

Dave the Dude

Re: English to be made second language in Thailand schools
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 02:44:26 PM »

"We have eyed American teachers who are retired under an early retirement programme," he said.

Thats not a very good example of English Grammar! LOL

isanbirder

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 05:33:48 PM »
One (of many) problems is that the Thai teachers will not speak English in the classroom, so English just becomes a boring classroom subject with no relevance to ordinary life.  A thousand speeches by Abhisit (Eton and Oxford) will not change that.

Offline jamesthailand

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:32:26 PM »
One (of many) problems is that the Thai teachers will not speak English in the classroom, so English just becomes a boring classroom subject with no relevance to ordinary life.  A thousand speeches by Abhisit (Eton and Oxford) will not change that.

right. whenever someone speak English with you, you might hear English language, it might sound like a sentence, you may be led to believe that here! somebody understands your question and actually answering you.  :D check again!  cool1

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 05:06:54 PM »
Country not ready for English language instruction
By Wannapa Khaopa
The Nation

It's too soon to declare English the second language for teaching in schools, Office of the Education Council (OEC) secretary-general Tongthong Chandransu said recently.

News reports late last week said the Education Ministry planned to declare English the second language in schools on October 22.

But Tongthong denied there would be declarations related to the issue on October 22, as reported by the media.

"The education reform policy committee, chaired by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has discussed improving or upgrading English language teaching in educational institutions. But the committee has not yet reached a conclusion of how to develop the teaching," Tongthong said.

He was not sure if there was confusion caused by initial news reports on the issue.

He said the issue to be announced on the 22nd would be about developing students' quality by providing 30 per cent of their study time to activities outside classrooms.

"To initiate a nationwide English language teaching improvement scheme is a big issue. We need to prepare enough basic structure, like instructional tools, technology and qualified teachers as well as arrange funds, which will take a long time."

He said the PM and Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij agreed in principle to upgrade teaching English and would support the scheme.

"We need to clarify clearly the term to be used to call the language teaching improvement scheme to prevent confusion. I'm not sure if the committee will state that English will be taught as the second language for teaching in schools or not, but I can now tell that it is considering the language teaching improvement scheme. And, it will be able to give an answer on how it will move this project forward within the next one or two months," he said.

Meanwhile, former Deputy Education Minister Varakorn Samkoses said he agreed with the idea of declaring English the second language in schools, as Thailand will be part of the Asean community in 2015.

However, he said, most Thai people were not ready for communication in English despite the coming Asean community. So, other sectors of society should prepare for the change, as well by seek strategies to help improve their personnel, especially the government and private sector.

"To move the education sector, we should start with training our Thai teachers along with importing foreign teachers," Varakorn said.

"The Basic Education Commission's English Resource and Instruction Centre should be the main agency responsible for the scheme. It should collaborate with universities to share their knowledge and train and certify teachers in each region.

"Schools should create an English learning atmosphere by placing boards in English with language vocabularies around the schools, having students perform English language stage dramas, teaching maths and science in English and having foreigners meet and talk to students," Varakorn said.

English is used as an official language in the Philippines and Singapore, but used and spoken in Malaysia as a second language, according to Wikipedia.

isanbirder

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:15:59 PM »
Thailand never will be ready if it relies on Thai academics to devise curricula, and train teachers.  One very senior Thai academic, who may well be on one or more of the relevant committees, cannot speak English very well themselves, cannot write teaching material, and gives grades by favouritism.  Many years ago I went to one of the leading English Language centres in Thailand to see the Head, and was told that they cannot speak very good English so "please speak slowly and clearly".  (I'm very careful to avoid revealing the gender of these persons.... should it be themselves or themself?)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »
Thailand never will be ready if it relies on Thai academics to devise curricula, and train teachers.  One very senior Thai academic, who may well be on one or more of the relevant committees, cannot speak English very well themselves, cannot write teaching material, and gives grades by favouritism.  Many years ago I went to one of the leading English Language centres in Thailand to see the Head, and was told that they cannot speak very good English so "please speak slowly and clearly".  (I'm very careful to avoid revealing the gender of these persons.... should it be themselves or themself?)

I agree with you, many English teachers (no offence to any of you out there.. wave1) are in teaching because its their only way to make income in Thailand without any capital investment, its a great thing for itself but I'm afraid its not serving the propose of their duty.
What about Academy background? many does not have any.

Some English teacher are real pro and even were teachers back in their origin county before arriving Thailand and you can see them in class operating real English programs for the students.
The Philippines teachers are maybe less dear to hire because of their country of origin and economy they are coming from, at least hire English native speaker..  grin

PS,
About the English accent of some native English speakers are truly hard to understand even for other native English speakers from other countries.
Example: England-Wales-Scotland-Ireland-Australia-American have different words even when talking,especially from the southern area I think......  confused1

sawadi

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:55:25 PM by ADMIN »

isanbirder

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 06:44:59 PM »
All true enough, but I was referring to Thai teachers only, not native speakers.  Many native speakers try to do a good job, but are constantly stymied by their Thai 'superiors'.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 11:41:11 AM »
Thailand’s Second Phase of Education Reform

In the past 10 years, Thailand began its first phase of education reform when the country promulgated the 1999 National Education Act. Now Thailand has come to its second phase of education reform, which is set as one the present government’s major policies.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva cited human resource development as the most worthwhile investment. He said that the second phase of education reform which started lat year would continue until 2018. it would prepare Thai people to be ready for changes that aim to bring about a better quality of life and create a peaceful society where people respects for one another’s rights and honor human dignity.

The Prime Minister said that during the first decade of education reform, the country had spent a great deal of time and resources on projects and management. It seemed that the quality of learners, which is a major objective of the reform, was overlooked.

So in the second phase, he said, all people involved must focus on improving the quality of learners. As for the poor and the underprivileged, not only a 15-year free education program will be mobilized, they will also be provided with greater educational opportunities. Various funds and mechanisms will be introduced to support the teaching profession.

The Prime Minister stressed that the goal of education reform is to produce able personnel who are virtuous and happy serving as good citizens. In this regard, the reform must strive to build citizens of good quality, with political, economic, and social well-being.

Although the country needs to develop higher skills and knowledge, he said, education must not separate from society as a whole. One of the problems in the past was that some skills developed by young people did not respond to social and economic needs. This led to the unemployment situation and many other problems.

The Prime Minister cited the Sufficiency Economy philosophy, initiated by His Majesty the King, as an important guideline for Thai life. The current political and social conflicts stimulate the need for members of society to create the right social values for young people to live with others in harmony and to respect differences.

Prime Minister Abhisit pointed out that in order to achieve the target of preparing people for changes through education, the Government had announced the promotion of reading habit on the list of national agenda. He also underlined the importance of learning foreign languages for communication and to seek more knowledge, especially through the Internet.

Meanwhile, Education Minister Chinnaworn Boonyakiat said that the second phase of education reform would focus on four areas: the development of the quality of Thai people, the development of teachers, the development of educational institutions, and the development of new education management.

- NNT 2010-10-29

isanbirder

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 12:19:33 PM »
Bla bla bla! blah2 blah2

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 02:38:18 PM »
I think they are trying English as a 2nd language in American schools. 

Kind of reminds of that classic line from "My Fair Lady"  where they say Americans haven't spoken English for years, and it's gotten worse.

isanbirder

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 06:36:07 PM »
"And the Americans are worst of all because they speak it wrong".... I thought that was Noel Coward, but it might be My Fair Lady.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »
"And the Americans are worst of all because they speak it wrong".... I thought that was Noel Coward, but it might be My Fair Lady.

:D :D wait for comment to come.. stop1

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »

LOL,  You want to see it spoken wrong, just watch My Fair Lady.  Even though it is set in the last century, it is true today. 

I think the main point of the moview was "Why can't the English, speak English."

isanbirder

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 04:47:59 PM »
I'm afraid there's quite enough  "spoken wrong" in Thailand... and I don't mean by Thais;  they have a good excuse.  I don't need to listen to Americans for it.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick