{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Arrests made at Blair booksigning in Dublin  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Arrests made at Blair booksigning in Dublin
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:40:01 PM »
Arrests made at Blair booksigning in Dublin
By the CNN Wire Staff
September 4, 2010 -- Updated 1149 GMT (1949 HKT)

Dublin, Ireland (CNN) -- Police made a "small number" of arrests in Dublin where former British Prime Minister Tony Blair was due to sign copies of his autobiography Saturday, a spokesman for Ireland's national police service said.

Despite reports that shoes and eggs were thrown at Blair, police could not confirm whether anything was thrown at him, and video from inside the store showed him unscathed, without any stains on his jacket.

A crowd of people, some of them anti-war protesters, gathered outside the shop to protest Blair's role in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A line of police wearing fluorescent yellow jackets kept them back from the street in front of the Eason bookshop in central Dublin.

Blair: Bush world view had 'immense simplicity'

Dozens of police were on duty in the street outside the bookshop since early Saturday and sections of the main thoroughfare were cordoned off to traffic.

Blair's book, "A Journey," describes his time in office, including his decision to go to war in Iraq. All proceeds from the book are going to the Royal British Legion, Blair has said.

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
Re: Arrests made at Blair booksigning in Dublin
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:36:08 PM »

Check out the ... Blair fantasy project thumbup

see ~~~    http://www.buriramexpats.com/forum/index.php/topic,3332.0.html

TBWG sawadi

isanbirder

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 06:46:45 PM »
Blair was all about fantasy, wasn't he?  I remember the New Statesman's Blairway to heaven when he was first elected.

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:43:04 PM »
Hi Bums

Latest ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tony Blair has canceled a planned book signing in London on Wednesday to prevent causing the public and the police "a lot of hassle".

Mr Blair said: "I don't want the public to be inconvenienced by the inevitable hassle caused by protesters."

Eggs and shoes were thrown at the former UK prime minister at a similar event in Dublin at the weekend.

Mr Blair earlier told ITV it was "not as if we need" to do signings to sell copies of his memoirs.

Announcing his decision to scrap the long-planned event, he said: "I know the Metropolitan Police would, as ever, have done a superb job in managing any disruption but I do not wish to impose an extra strain on police resources, simply for a book signing.

"I'm really sorry for those - as ever the majority - who would have come to have their books signed by me in person. I hope they understand."

Four men were arrested after eggs, bottles and shoes were thrown at him during anti-Iraq war protests at the Dublin signing following the release of his memoirs last week.

Mr Blair described those involved as a "minority", adding that, on such occasions, "the protesters get all the publicity".

Another event had been planned for Waterstone's in Piccadilly, central London, on Wednesday, with rigorous security measures in place.

But ahead of it being canceled Mr Blair, prime minister from 1997 to 2007, told the ITV breakfast programme Daybreak: "To be frank about it, I am concerned - if people want to have a book signed, people should protest but not try and physically prevent you doing it."

Waterstone's said the signing was cancelled on "the wishes of the author".

Managing director Dominic Myers, said, "Our job as a bookseller is to bring books to our customers, and where possible enable them to meet authors as well.

"It is a matter of regret that because of the likely actions of a minority, our customers are now not able to meet a three-times elected prime minister of the United Kingdom, whose book has become our fastest-selling autobiography ever."

Mr Blair said he would provide signed copies for the store to sell instead.

TBWG sawadi

PS:  Such a nice considerate person. hahaha

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod