{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Airlines: Overhaul Thai immigration  (Read 7269 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Airlines: Overhaul Thai immigration
« on: August 09, 2010, 12:49:31 PM »
Airlines: Overhaul Thai immigration 
Bangkok Post: 9 Aug 2010
Airlines push overhaul of immigration
Call for automation, outsourcing at airport

The Airline Operators Committee is calling on Airports of Thailand Plc and the Immigration Police Bureau to work together to streamline immigration operations at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Kongsak Hiranpruek, chairman of the AOC, which represents more than 80 international airlines operating out of Suvarnabhumi, said the airport did not have enough officers to handle immigration procedures.

Mr Kongsak said his committee had recommended that AoT, which operates the country's six main airports, outsource some of the immigration tasks to ease the officers' workload.

He said the AOC had asked AoT and the Immigration Police Bureau to look into whether regulations could be amended to permit the outsourcing of these duties.

The police bureau is considering introducing an electronic passport (e-passport) system using an auto-gate machine. An e-passport holder would insert the passport into a reader, press the finger scanner and the machine would then take a picture.

The system would then test whether the machine's reading matched the biometric information stored in the e-passport.

Mr Kongsak said it would be necessary to outsource immigration work while waiting for the installation of the auto-gate machines.

Suvarnabhumi director Niran Thiranartsin said the introduction of an e-passport system was being hindered by immigration rules, such as the requirement for passports to be stamped.

Stamping a passport takes much longer than verifying a holder's identity using the e-passport system, Mr Niran said, citing the efficient use of the system at Incheon International Airport in South Korea.

A Transport Ministry source said the bureau was drafting the terms of reference for the installation of the auto-gate system at Suvarnabhumi.

The bureau would amend regulations to clear the way for the full implementation of the system if it proves efficient, the source said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/190146/airlines-pushoverhaul-of-immigration

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
Re: Airlines: Overhaul Thai immigration
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:21:02 PM »
Hi Bums

If this system is initiated and you do not get a stamp in your passport how will the immigration offices throughout the country know when your visa expires.

Yes I know that they have computers but do all those little offices have a reliable system or even a computer? somehow I doubt it. type1 Also the Thais would be deprived of one of their favourite pastimes .i.e. playing with a rubber stamp! newargue

TBWG sawadi

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 06:11:53 AM »
The USA has implemented a Kisok type entry system called the Global Entry Program:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/global_entry/

However, you have to apply on line, pay $100 USD, and go through an interview at a selected US Airport (you can choose from those available). 

Went though it and have it.  On my last trip I entered through Boston and from the time I exited the plane, got through Immigration, got through customs,  and was in the terminal, it was 4 minutes and 32 seconds bike037 (I only had carry-on).

I am a covert of this type system.  But the lesson is that if Thailand implements it, it may not be for all travelers, only those that apply (something like their Fast Trac through Immigration).

Offline buriramboy

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:09:29 PM »
The USA has implemented a Kisok type entry system called the Global Entry Program:

However, you have to apply on line, pay $100 USD, and go through an interview at a selected US Airport (you can choose from those available). 

Went though it and have it.  On my last trip I entered through Boston and from the time I exited the plane, got through Immigration, got through customs,  and was in the terminal, it was 4 minutes and 32 seconds bike037 (I only had carry-on).

I am a covert of this type system.  But the lesson is that if Thailand implements it, it may not be for all travelers, only those that apply (something like their Fast Trac through Immigration).

if they will do this reform in the airport it will be a great change and I will be happy to pay to get this e-passport card, I travel 3-4 times a year to Thailand and when I arrive Thailand I want it to be as fast as possible!!!!  runningdog

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:27:30 AM »

if they will do this reform in the airport it will be a great change and I will be happy to pay to get this e-passport card, I travel 3-4 times a year to Thailand and when I arrive Thailand I want it to be as fast as possible!!!!  runningdog

You can speed through BKK now with Fast Track:  http://www.fasttrack.in.th/products.php

You can check out a discussion on this from another site:  http://www.pattayasecrets.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=63384&view=findpost&p=1359728

I used it:  I decided to chance it and sign up.

I travel light, have carry on and computer. Got off plane (oops, parked on apron not gate), but took us directly to immigration.

A few signs as we entered terminal, none for me. Took escalator upstairs and a pretty TG with a drone was there holding up my sign. While the unwashed masses oncontinued to normal immigarition, I was taken to a Fast Track lack with 2 attendants and no wait. I was through in less than 2 minutes. She took me to the new checkout and breezed right through. Guys if you have any questionable items, this may be a pass through. The customs looked at the TG the waived me through, probably due to my honest face rather than not looking like a Brit.

From where I met her before customs, until I got past it, probably 6-7 minutes. They wanted to take me to car, but I had other arrangements, signed the form aready paid and was on my way. Got to me motel at least 30 minutes sooner.

Getting in about midnight after 30 hour of flying, 40 USD$ seems reasonalbe to get quicker shower and orther surprises. Was at Nana before 2 AM (after some needed relieve), really enjoy the parade.

My present advice it that you are on a tight budget, do not use it. But Business class guys, us it. I will use it in the future. You cannot predict the immigration like, but $40 was really worth it to me. Not to mention that after 30 hours of flying my ass was sore and wanted to the show on their road. I was at Aspen Motel a good 30 minutes before I would have been without fast track.

Offline fox

• Contributor with future
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 02:43:33 PM »
http://www.fasttrack.in.th/products.php

Is it really worth 1600 Baht?
After all the check in is not that long and frustrating.
I don't think I will pay for this service, maybe its for business men or people who travel a lot in/out of Thailand, going through this may be frustrating but for me when I come to Thailand, to deal with all the service people on the way to heaven that's a pleasure!  crazydance

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 06:38:08 AM »
http://www.fasttrack.in.th/products.php

Is it really worth 1600 Baht?
After all the check in is not that long and frustrating.
I don't think I will pay for this service, maybe its for business men or people who travel a lot in/out of Thailand, going through this may be frustrating but for me when I come to Thailand, to deal with all the service people on the way to heaven that's a pleasure!  crazydance

I have not used it for over a year, the immigration line are negligible since the yellow and red shirts did their bit to help tourism. 

If you have checked bags, you will not really save any time except that they by pass the customs check just before the terminal.  However, I cut to the front of the line, ignore the scanner,  and exit.  Have not been stopped.  Of course I don't carry anything questionable so would only lose time if stopped.

So I don't think it is worth 1600 baht (1400 when I last used it). 

But buriramboy wanted to get through as soon as possible, Fast track is a way.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick