{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: SEEKING UNUSUAL ORCHIDS  (Read 13893 times)

somchai

SEEKING UNUSUAL ORCHIDS
« on: May 30, 2010, 09:55:33 PM »
...from private sources or obscure nurseries in the broader Surin, Sisaket, and Buriram region. Any tips or directions will be much appreciated. Thanks, again!! party4

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
Re: SEEKING UNUSUAL ORCHIDS
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 11:36:42 PM »
...from private sources or obscure nurseries in the broader Surin, Sisaket, and Buriram region. Any tips or directions will be much appreciated. Thanks, again!! party4

Hi Somchai

On the road from Buriram to Nong Ki about half way on the left hand side going from Buriram is an Orchid dealer in front of a Wat.

Have a large selection but whether any of them are rare or unusual I do not know. They also have a large selection of Stags Head type ferns.

TBWG sawadi

somchai

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:04:54 PM »

Hi Somchai

On the road from Buriram to Nong Ki about half way on the left hand side going from Buriram is an Orchid dealer in front of a Wat.

Have a large selection but whether any of them are rare or unusual I do not know. They also have a large selection of Stags Head type ferns.

TBWG sawadi
Thanks, TBWG. As we're familiar with most of the nurseries in the immediate region, it's nice to know of others that might offer something new.

Offline Happy Dave

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 07:20:23 AM »
Hello Somchai,
                    My wife is crazy for Orchids. Right now we just have the usual selection from local Buriram/surin nurseries. We have a couple of jungle orchids, not flowering yet so I don't know how rare they are. Some of the roadside orchids in the Mountains near Wang nam kheow on highway 304 (when driving between Pak thong chai and Kabin buri) look good.   My wife is hunting for the Tiger orchid, she is crazy about them.
 Good luck hunting.
--happydave

Offline Happy Dave

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
Oh, Also we check the border market in CHONG CHOM every once in a while. Overpriced, but if they have something new,it could be worth it.

dave the dude

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 06:09:12 PM »
Oh, Also we check the border market in CHONG CHOM every once in a while. Overpriced, but if they have something new,it could be worth it.

Trond from here.. http://www.suanloongdaengfarmstay.com/ offered a mate of mine a trip up into the mountains with Thai guides for the purpose of hunting for orchids.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone is interested.
Its a very nice resort too BTW!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:37:40 PM by ADMIN »

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:30:42 AM »
Hello Somchai,
                    My wife is crazy for Orchids. Right now we just have the usual selection from local Buriram/surin nurseries. We have a couple of jungle orchids, not flowering yet so I don't know how rare they are. Some of the roadside orchids in the Mountains near Wang nam kheow on highway 304 (when driving between Pak thong chai and Kabin buri) look good.   My wife is hunting for the Tiger orchid, she is crazy about them.
 Good luck hunting.
--happydave
We've stopped at these stalls on the 304 many times,,,my lass now has many ,many varieties too

dave the dude

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 11:30:44 AM »
We've stopped at these stalls on the 304 many times,,,my lass now has many ,many varieties too

What is the trick for keeping them alive. Ours seem to flower for a while, then either never flower again or Die??

Offline Happy Dave

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 01:24:51 PM »
What is the trick for keeping them alive. Ours seem to flower for a while, then either never flower again or Die??

You can buy a bag of plant food formulated for Orchids. Ours are planted in wood chips and coconut husks so they need water every day. My wife stuffs them in old logs and packs the soft stringy husks around them. They should bloom for a few months and not die.They will come back into bloom again a few months later. If they are still dead on on you..... i don't know, must be personal... :P
 My wife reads those orchid/plant magazines, I imagine they have some good tips. I'm good with Vegetables and fruit trees, but when it comes to flowers, I'm like the prince of darkness. I just look at them and they drop dead... >:D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:28:02 PM by ADMIN »

somchai

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 10:06:36 PM »
Thanks! We'll check it out. thumbup

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »
I have been there lately on our Visa Run trip (Tel: 081-0704750) and took some photos in Chong chom market.

There are photos of Orchids as well so take your time look at the gallery:
http://www.buriramexpats.com/visa-run/

One more thing I have noticed there, the sellers are almost all Khmer/Cambodians.

Also, there is a small new bar/restaurant in the entrance of the market, The owner is a German and his Thai wife/girlfriend.

sawadi

Offline farangguy

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 06:46:55 PM »
I have been there lately on our Visa Run trip (Tel: 081-0704750) and took some photos in Chong chom market.

There are photos of Orchids as well so take your time look at the gallery:
http://www.buriramexpats.com/visa-run/

One more thing I have noticed there, the sellers are almost all Khmer/Cambodians.

Also, there is a small new bar/restaurant in the entrance of the market, The owner is a German and his Thai wife/girlfriend.

sawadi

THATS A VERY BIG MARKET !!! I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE ORCHIDS BUT THERE ARE SOME GOOD THINGS THERE.

DANGEROUS TO TAKE THE LADY THOUGH hahaha
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:11:07 PM by ADMIN »

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 02:04:03 PM »

I water ours every other day,,,,,they will flower ,die off but new shoots grow ,you can muliply your holding very quickly.

Offline Fun Smile

• Contributor with future
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 05:39:06 PM »
Orchid Elephant tail

Have anyone see the bigest orchid, like the Elephant tail...I have a big one at home and it give me really big flower right now 2 meter long flower wow confused4....here I have some picture that I took week ago...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:48:19 PM by ADMIN »

Offline Fun Smile

• Contributor with future
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 06:41:31 PM »
type1 more picture

[attachment deleted by admin]

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod