{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Thaksin goes into excile  (Read 8035 times)

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
Thaksin goes into excile
« on: August 11, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »
See BBC news post ...I particularly like the bit about staying in the UK  "where democracy is more important"

Ex-Thai PM 'will remain in UK'
Thaksin Shinawatra in the UK (March 2008)
Thaksin owns properties in England as well as Manchester City football club

The ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has said he will not return to Thailand from the UK.

In a statement released to the Thai media, Mr Thaksin said he and his wife would remain in the UK, "where democracy is more important".

Mr Thaksin is on bail over corruption charges but failed to make a scheduled Bangkok court appearance on Monday.

He has always insisted the charges are politically motivated and an attempt to remove him from politics.

"What happened to me and my family and my close relations resulted from efforts to get rid of me from politics," Mr Thaksin said in the hand-written statement.

"These are my political enemies. They don't care about the rule of law, facts or internationally recognised due process."

He claimed there was a "continuation of dictatorship" in Thai politics which led to "interference in the justice system".

Mr Thaksin apologised to the Thai people for his decision to live in England, where his daughter is attending university and where owns several properties, as well as the Manchester City football club.

"If I am fortunate enough, I will return and die on Thai soil, just like other Thais," he said.

Observers have said that the former prime minister may attempt to claim political asylum in the UK, but there was no reference to this in the statement.

Mr Thaksin was due back in the Thai capital on Sunday after a court allowed him to attend the Olympic Games opening.

His wife, Pojaman, is also on bail pending an appeal after she was sentenced last month to three years in jail for tax fraud.

It was the first of several cases against Thailand's former first family.

TBWG sawadi

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM