{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: The end?  (Read 37644 times)

Offline Gerry

• Contributor on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
The end?
« on: December 18, 2021, 06:22:19 PM »
No posts on here since 9th December.

Asean Now, formally Thai Visa, dead other than the usual complainers.

Surin forum dead other than the usual 5 or 6 blokes having a chat.

At the same time Facebook groups are doing well.

Is this the end of the line for forums? Are people moving on to the more well known options on social media?

It does seem so.

Offline Smithy

• Reliable reporter on the right way
Re: The end?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 07:46:25 PM »
Looks that way .....I use FB and Telegram and belong to groups of interest
AS for BE ,  if anyone wants help on here there is always members willing to help or offer advice   

Offline Nobby

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 08:55:52 AM »
Like this?

Not missed Nobby. Unless you compare yourself to a bullet in the head.

Offline Gerry

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 12:28:19 PM »
Like this?

Not missed Nobby. Unless you compare yourself to a bullet in the head.

Yes, just like that.

It's called "banter".

If you can't take it, don't give it.

Anyway, I agree with Smithy. I think this forum has always been more of an information center or help center. Not so much a chat room as others seem to be. Just going on and on about the same things or posting pictures of their latest meal.. I guess no one needs help or are finding it else where.

Like I said before, Facebook groups appear to be taking over. Loads of them out there offering so much. I've found a few about Isaan, even one dedicated to Surin but I am yet to find much about Buriram. I have one but it is in Thai.

Offline Smithy

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 12:30:19 PM »
THE END !!

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 12:08:38 PM »
Some bullying and shaming was going on a few years ago, both here and per PM, especially of new members. I left, have only recently started to come back once a week for a peek, others that I respected left also. One of the newbies told me he wouldn't use this platform anymore.
Not the only reason of course, other local forums are apparently also having problems with readership.
I get most of my local info from Facebook: Buriram friendship, Buriramguru, Buriramimmigration and buriram.me, using translation tools.

Offline Gerry

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 02:20:29 PM »
Some bullying and shaming was going on a few years ago, both here and per PM, especially of new members. I left, have only recently started to come back once a week for a peek, others that I respected left also. One of the newbies told me he wouldn't use this platform anymore.
Not the only reason of course, other local forums are apparently also having problems with readership.
I get most of my local info from Facebook: Buriram friendship, Buriramguru, Buriramimmigration and buriram.me, using translation tools.

I've been a member here for a few years and have not seen bullying or shaming. When I first joined I was made very welcome. I've been given lots of good advice and guidance.

You say "others" have left. Really? How many?

I think this could be the problem world over. People just become offended too easily nowadays. For me, if I see something I don't like I scroll past. If someone were to send me messages I didn't like I would not read them.

Anyway, during your once a week peeks you must have noticed the apparent bullying has stopped. Why not start joining in again?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 02:22:43 PM by Gerry »

Offline Red 1

• Contributor with future
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 09:26:54 AM »
I have been using this site for over 10ys and I think its fair to say its slowly dying activity wise. But Thailand has changed a lot in the last 30yrs that I have been visiting/working there. even before Covid Thailand was passed its hay day and many people had pulled out. There were a number of reasons for this but in general there are not the same amount of English speaking visiting/living there and this site just reflects this, but also other platforms have risen up too, hence the demise continues.

Offline ChuckNorris

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 03:28:58 PM »
I have been using this site for over 10ys and I think its fair to say its slowly dying activity wise. But Thailand has changed a lot in the last 30yrs that I have been visiting/working there. even before Covid Thailand was passed its hay day and many people had pulled out. There were a number of reasons for this but in general there are not the same amount of English speaking visiting/living there and this site just reflects this, but also other platforms have risen up too, hence the demise continues.

I see the opposite. Since I have been married I have seen the expat population increase quite dramatically.

I agree with what has been  said by other posters. I think the idea of forums has died. Facebook and websites offering info but no chance for feedback are leading the way.

Too many people seem to get offended at the slightest thing nowadays and this stops others posting. Then there are the cliques. I was banned from one forum for supposedly being someone else. It has been proven that I am not that person yet I have not received and invite back or even an apology, even though the admins can reach me by email or on here. Seems they want to keep their small group exclusive. That in turn makes them a chat room and not a forum and, thus, that too is dying.

Personally, since I joined here I have found it informative and often amusing.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 04:52:19 PM »

I see the opposite. Since I have been married I have seen the expat population increase quite dramatically.

I agree with what has been  said by other posters. I think the idea of forums has died. Facebook and websites offering info but no chance for feedback are leading the way.

Too many people seem to get offended at the slightest thing nowadays and this stops others posting. Then there are the cliques. I was banned from one forum for supposedly being someone else. It has been proven that I am not that person yet I have not received and invite back or even an apology, even though the admins can reach me by email or on here. Seems they want to keep their small group exclusive. That in turn makes them a chat room and not a forum and, thus, that too is dying.

Seems they still don't believe you!    jumping1

+1 on the other comments.

Shame you were not around when this forum was active and there was a good vibe around.

The first Internet forum 'get together' that I attended was with Buriram Expats as I recall.  Lead by TBWG I think, with Nobby there as well. At the original Muang Pizza - with a free bottle of beer for the first 20 attendees....

Offline Gerry

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 05:50:26 PM »

Seems they still don't believe you!    jumping1

+1 on the other comments.

Shame you were not around when this forum was active and there was a good vibe around.

The first Internet forum 'get together' that I attended was with Buriram Expats as I recall.  Lead by TBWG I think, with Nobby there as well. At the original Muang Pizza - with a free bottle of beer for the first 20 attendees....

There seems to be a lot of paranoia on that forum. About 7 regular posters, of which 4 are moderators. Quite humorous.

Get together seem to be a thing of the past nowadays. I think there are so many small groups dotted around they just tend to keep themselves to themselves. I do like an occasional evening in Soi Cola in Surin.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 05:52:40 PM by Gerry »

Offline Nobby

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 08:14:27 AM »
 :D :D :D

Offline ChuckNorris

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 04:28:48 PM »
:D :D :D

Nice to see you have the character to laugh at yourself, Nobby.

I tend to agree with Gerry. As expat communities grow there seems to be get together happening more and more with more regular attendees than there are on forums.My wife belongs to Facebook groups that often post pictures of groups of expats and their wives sitting drinking and chatting.

Looking back in the archives on this forum there used to be many topics about the local area. More What? Where? When? How much?  questions. As the community has grown and meet up places have sprung up, there is not so much need to ask on a forum.
Some become a chat room with pictures of people's meals, pets or gardens. Others just go quiet until someone needs help or information.

I'll pop down to Surin town for an evening once I'm there, Gerry.

I understand Fantasy Bar and The Beach are good meeting places.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 04:31:29 PM by ChuckNorris »

Offline pagan1

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2022, 07:33:06 AM »
It must be well over 10 years ago that I first signed up on Buriram Expats. At that time it was a lively Forum with a large number of contributors and a good source of information. At that time I would check the site regularly for updates and normally find something interesting to read. In recent years I have rarely checked the site and ocassionaly thought to look it up. I guess the three main reasons are
I changed my computer and did not add the Forum to my favorite sites
Despite always avoiding Facebook I now use it as most of my friends in the area communicate via Facebook and Messanger
The amount of content is much reduced so I rarely look at the site

Sorry to see the site as a shadow of its former self. In my early years I gained lots of information from Buriram Expats and will always be grateful to those that established the site. Good luck, get your thinking caps on and see how you can promote the site more

Offline pagan1

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 07:37:28 AM »
Just looked it up. First registered March 2010 and only 42 posts in all that time !!
Must try harder ........but as my Mum used to advise me " if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing'

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick