{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Visa exempt travel  (Read 16159 times)

Offline ChuckNorris

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Visa exempt travel
« on: October 20, 2021, 04:06:55 PM »
We were thinking of traveling to Thailand soon. However, the news of rule changes and entry requirements are starting to p$#s me off and put me off.

So, looking at traveling somewhere else. Has anyone on here ever traveled a a third country with their wife/partner. By that I mean not you home country or Thailand.

If so, where did you go. How easy was it to get a visa? My wife is just applying for ILR in UK which means most of Europe is out of the question as I believe Shenghen visa application's are only doable your home country.

I've been looking at Maldives or maybe Goa.

Offline Gerry

• Contributor on the right way
Re: Visa exempt travel
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 07:17:14 PM »
We were thinking of traveling to Thailand soon. However, the news of rule changes and entry requirements are starting to p$#s me off and put me off.

So, looking at traveling somewhere else. Has anyone on here ever traveled a a third country with their wife/partner. By that I mean not you home country or Thailand.

If so, where did you go. How easy was it to get a visa? My wife is just applying for ILR in UK which means most of Europe is out of the question as I believe Shenghen visa application's are only doable your home country.

You are right about Schengen visas. Your wife will need to travel to Thailand to apply.

I've been to Maldives. It's a nice place. You need to get off the main island of Male as it is still governed under Islamic law. No alcohol and your wife will need to be careful how she dresses. Plenty of islands that are now private resorts and thus serve alcohol and relax the laws of what you need to wear to the beach.

If it's a lazy holiday you are looking for then fine. If you would rather be out and about too I would look somewhere else.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 08:09:10 PM »
I can recommend Sri Lanka.

.... and Langkawi.

...and Penang.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 10:43:01 AM »

You are right about Schengen visas. Your wife will need to travel to Thailand to apply.

I've been to Maldives. It's a nice place. You need to get off the main island of Male as it is still governed under Islamic law. No alcohol and your wife will need to be careful how she dresses. Plenty of islands that are now private resorts and thus serve alcohol and relax the laws of what you need to wear to the beach.

If it's a lazy holiday you are looking for then fine. If you would rather be out and about too I would look somewhere else.

Took my wife to Bali some 4 years ago. Most ASEAN countries do not require visas for Thais. My visa was provided at the airport. Rent a car and explore the centre and the North where the sand is volcanic ash black

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 10:44:46 AM »
There's always Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, but they are easily do-able when you are living here in Thailand.

Offline h2o

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 12:21:25 PM »
You can apply for visa in Europe from uk. We have done it many time for my Thai wife. But remember if she has already applied for ILR she cannot leave the uk until she has received it. Turkey does not require visa for Thais

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 02:15:54 PM »
You can apply for visa in Europe from uk. We have done it many time for my Thai wife. But remember if she has already applied for ILR she cannot leave the uk until she has received it. Turkey does not require visa for Thais

h20 - did she apply for a Schengen Visa in the UK AFTER she got ILR....... or during her LR/FLR stages?

Offline ChuckNorris

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 07:28:26 PM »
Thanks for  your informative replies. Alll bar one anyway.😆
 SE Asia is probably better saved for the future when we can use Thailand as a base.

Sri Lanka and any Turkey could be worth a look.

I cannot find anywhere that says Schengen visas are available out of Thailand for Thai nationals. All I can see is always asking to make appointments in BKK.

Offline h2o

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 12:08:07 PM »
No coco. As she can?t travel while applying for ILR and also you have flights and accommodation in place and ILR can take up to six months. Look on the uk embassy web site of the country you wish to visit and it tells you where and how to apply in the uk.

Offline ChuckNorris

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 02:17:05 PM »
OK. So I found this recently. I read "residence permit" as being ILR.

On further inspection it says a biometrics card can be used as proof of residence in UK. Is FLR OK then?

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/apply-from-uk/

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 11:05:38 AM »
No coco. As she can?t travel while applying for ILR and also you have flights and accommodation in place and ILR can take up to six months. Look on the uk embassy web site of the country you wish to visit and it tells you where and how to apply in the uk.

Thanks.

My missus stays in the UK on a standard visitor visa so a sudden urge to visit Rome would be out of the question.

Applying for a Schengen Visa in the UK
Schengen Visa Requirements and Application Guidelines for the UK Residents
Although the United Kingdom is not a member of the Schengen Area, British citizens can travel across Europe visa-free for a maximum of 90 days. Also, from 9 June 2014, all British Overseas Territories citizens (BOTCs), British Overseas citizens (BOCs), British Protected Persons (BPPs), and British Subjects (BS) are allowed to travel visa-free to the EU Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days.

Who can apply for a Schengen visa in the UK?
To apply for a Schengen visa from the UK, your UK residence permit must be valid for at least another three more months beyond the date you plan to leave the Schengen Area. If this condition is not fulfilled, the Consulate where you lodge your Schengen visa application will reject your application immediately.

Nonresidents such as travellers and tourists currently on a visa in the UK, cannot file their visa application at the Schengen embassies in the United Kingdom. Instead, they should apply for a Schengen visa at the appropriate Schengen embassy in their home country.

Use the Schengen visa eligibility checker tool to find out if you qualify to apply for a Schengen visa from the UK.

If you have a 3 month UK visa you can extend it for three more months in order to be eligible to apply for a Schengen visa from within the UK. You must apply for an extension before your visa expires and while you?re still in the UK. Find out more on how to extend your UK visa.

Please, note that if you are not a resident in the United Kingdom you should apply at the Embassy/Consulate in your country of residence.

Visa application documents and requirements for the UK residents
All Schengen states are represented in the UK by Consulates and Embassies and they might have specific requirements for applicants. However, there are common requirements for each country and visa type.

The following list of documents are required in order to obtain a Schengen visa in the UK:

A valid passport or Travel document. Please make sure:
Your passport has been issued within the previous 10 years,
Your passport has 2 full blank pages, one for the visa stamp and an additional spare page,
Your passport should be valid for at least three (3) months after the date you exit the Schengen Area.
A valid UK residence permit or other forms of Identity Card. The UK residency permit must be endorsed in the actual passport (or on a new biometric ID card)
One application form is filled out completely and signed by the applicant.
One passport format photo that has a light background, is brightly coloured and shows full facial features. The photo must be less than six months old and be glued to the application form. Applications with stapled photographs will be rejected.
A cover letter explaining the purpose of the visit to the Schengen area
Proof of travel arrangements: Round trip flight/travel reservations or other proof of intended transport and complete itinerary (if the several Schengen States will be visited or if the trip covers the several Schengen States and non-Schengen countries).
Travel Insurance stating that you are covered in case of a medical emergency and repatriation in the Schengen Area (minimum coverage of ? 30.000). The Insurance policy can easily be purchased online from AXA Schengen, MondialCare or Europ Assistance.
Hotel reservations or proof of participation in group travel.
A recent statement of UK current account or traveller?s checks showing funds of a minimum of ?55 per person per day spent in the Schengen area. Photocopies of the original documents also to be submitted. Documents should not be more than one month old. Find more information about proofing financial sufficiency when applying for a Schengen visa.
For UK employees:
Reference letter of employment in the United Kingdom confirming that specifies:
Salary
Hire date
Position
Dates of vacation
If the applicant is employed for less than 3 months, then a letter from their employer should clearly state when they started work.

For self-employed:
A recent letter (less than 3 months old) that specifies:
Professional activity
Starting date
Business registration
Revenues from their solicitor or Accountant or Bank Manager or Local Chamber of Commerce
VAT certificate
For foreign students in the UK:
An official recent (less than 3 months old) letter from their school, college or university within the UK, that state:
The type of studies
Details of the course
Attendance record.
For retirees:
Pension statement of the latest 6 months
If unemployed and married to a UK citizen:
A recent (less than 3 months old) Confirmation of Employment letter from their spouse?s employer that states:
Position held within the company
Starting date
Spouse?s valid passport
An officially translated marriage certificate. The translation can be in English or the official language of the Embassy of the country where the marriage took place or by the Legalization Bureau of the Foreign Office in the UK
If the Marriage Certificate was issued outside the European Union, it must be stamped by the Foreign Office of the issuing country or its Embassy in the United Kingdom.
At which Schengen country?s embassy in the UK should I apply?
Depending on your purpose and/or length of visit ? there are specifications that further clarify at which Embassy or Consulate within the UK you should apply.

If visiting one Schengen country ? you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the particular country of your destination.
If visiting more than one Schengen country ? you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the country of your main destination (the country of longest stay).
If visiting more than one Schengen country with equal stay duration ? you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the Schengen country you will enter first.
If you intend to stay in the Schengen area for over 90 days you must apply for a residence permit (Long-stay visa), not a Schengen visa. Instructions are on the respective embassy/consulate?s homepage.
Requirements and guidelines for UK residents when applying for a:
France Visa from the UK
Germany Visa from the UK
Spain Visa from the UK
Italy Visa from the UK
Switzerland Visa from the UK
Netherlands Visa from the UK
Greece Visa from the UK
Portugal Visa from the UK
Belgium Visa from the UK
Sweden Visa from the UK
Norway Visa from the UK
The Czech Visa from the UK
Denmark Visa from the UK
Iceland Visa from the UK
Malta Visa from the UK
When should I apply?
The best time to apply for a Schengen visa in the UK is at least 15 days before the intended visit to Europe. If you can apply even earlier than that, it is even better ? although not earlier than 6 months before the intended visit!

Holders of multiple-entry visas may apply six months before the expiry date of the valid visa.

How to apply for a Schengen visa from the UK?
To apply for a Schengen visa from the UK you must book an appointment with the relevant Consulate or Embassy in London. This can be done in two ways:

By going to the Consulate/Embassy office in person.
By applying via accredited agencies like VFS or BLS
How long does it take to get a Schengen visa in the UK?
Applications should be made final within 15 calendar days from the date you submitted the visa application in the corresponding Embassy/Consulate in the UK.

This period may be extended up to 30 days, especially in cases when further requirements are made to the applicant.

Consulates advise visa applicants to apply well in advance of their planned trip in order to avoid any unwanted complications.

Note: Holders of multiple-entry visas may apply six months before the expiry date of the valid visa.

There are however some specific individual cases where applicants can obtain visas faster through accelerated procedures:

Applicants who have an EEA or EU citizen family member
Cases of an extreme medical emergency
*Caution: When applying for a Schengen visa in the United Kingdom during the summer or winter seasons, be cautious and/or plan your visit earlier, as these are the months when the highest numbers of applications arrive in Embassies ? consequently, taking longer to complete the visa processing!

Schengen visa fees for UK residents
The fees of a Schengen visa application in the United Kingdom may vary from 36.5? for children aged between 6 and 12 to 51 ? for adults (depending on currency fluctuations).

Schengen Visa Category (by age)   Fee in UK Pound   Fee in Euro
Adult   73 ?   80 ?
Children between 6-12 years of age   36.5 ?   40 ?
Children younger than 6 years of age   Free   Free

Offline ChuckNorris

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 05:16:33 PM »
So it looks like it can be done on FLR.

I'm guessing, as my wife works, she can sponsor herself. That would save time and documents required.

Offline ChuckNorris

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 03:13:07 PM »
We booked a trip but, because of Omicron, have now cancelled it. Looks like another few months waiting to see what happens.

Not scared of the virus exactly but worried about changes in policy regarding returning to UK.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick