{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Applying for a new Visa  (Read 4403 times)

Offline alans

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Applying for a new Visa
« on: July 27, 2019, 11:38:14 AM »
I first entered Thailand, from Australia, on my O-A Visa, on 29/5/2018 and due to a number of trips from and back into Thailand, my last "Admitted Until" stamp is 16/3/2020, which is when I would have to seek an extension.

I am returning to Australia for a month in December and am thinking of applying for a new Visa while I am there, rather than seek an extension next March. I have a few questions and would appreciate some advice;

1. Is what I propose, to apply for a new Visa rather than wait and extend, allowed?

If the answer to my query is yes, I have some questions about the form to be submitted to the Thai Embassy in Canberra;

1. Questions 10 & 11 relate to my current and permanent address. Should both of these be my address in Thailand, or should "Current Address" be my address in Australia when submitting the application?

2. Questions 18 & 19 relate to Local Guarantor and Guarantor in Thailand. I will enter my Thai Wife's details at Question 19, but I'm not sure about Question 18, is this just a contact person in Australia?

3. Can the Medical Certificate be completed by a Doctor in Thailand?

Many thanks in advance

Offline fishy

• Contributor on the right way
Re: Applying for a new Visa
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 11:25:59 AM »
I believe you can only apply for a new extension up to 4 weeks before the old one expires. You say you are only in Oz for 1 month in December. Why not just get your extension done back here when you return from Oz?

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 12:05:19 PM »
I believe you can only apply for a new extension up to 4 weeks before the old one expires. You say you are only in Oz for 1 month in December. Why not just get your extension done back here when you return from Oz?

To the OP.....if this is what you decide to do then don't forget to get a re entry permit before you leave.

If you wish to get a new visa in Aus..yes. This is allowed.

Offline alans

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 01:23:53 PM »
I have had advice previously that seeking a new Visa would be the way to go. Depending on how often I am in and out of Thailand, I can get up to two years on a new Visa, have multilple entries and not need the cumbersome financial information as is required for an extension. The Thai Embassy in Canberra have advised a letter from my Superannuation Pension company, stating I receive a monthly pension in excess of 65,000 baht will be accepted.

Will a re-entry permit be required if I am re-entering Thailand on a new O-A Visa?

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 02:03:55 PM »

Will a re-entry permit be required if I am re-entering Thailand on a new O-A Visa?

No. If you come in on a new O-A visa you do not need to get a re entry permit.

Offline alans

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 02:09:36 PM »
Thanks Starman, can I ask if your initials are T.D in another life 😁

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 02:18:26 PM »
Thanks Starman, can I ask if your initials are T.D in another life 😁

555. No, I am not T.D. I know who you are talking about. He is actually a member of him but have not seen him for a while now.

Offline fishy

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 08:39:27 PM »
Wasn't there talk about Non Im O-A holders being required to have medical/health insurance whereas holders of Non Im O did not require it...? Non Im O-A visa being granted from overseas whereas Non Im O granted inside the Kingdom. Financially much cheaper renewing in the long run if you have the O visa... Insurance is then up to you if you want to pay for the cover. I'm not a guru on all the rules...

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 08:42:34 PM »
Wasn't there talk about Non Im O-A holders being required to have medical/health insurance whereas holders of Non Im O did not require it...? Non Im O-A visa being granted from overseas whereas Non Im O granted inside the Kingdom. Financially much cheaper renewing in the long run if you have the O visa... Insurance is then up to you if you want to pay for the cover. I'm not a guru on all the rules...

Both O-A visas and O visas are granted outside of Thailand. Extensions of stay are granted by immigration in Thailand. All extensions of stay, whether based on marriage, retirement or employment and whether on an O-A, O or B do not need health insurance.

There was talk of insurance being required for Non O-A visas as from 1st July. The new rule is yet to be implemented.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 08:46:20 PM by Starman »

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 10:43:55 AM »

Both O-A visas and O visas are granted outside of Thailand. Extensions of stay are granted by immigration in Thailand. All extensions of stay, whether based on marriage, retirement or employment and whether on an O-A, O or B do not need health insurance.

There was talk of insurance being required for Non O-A visas as from 1st July. The new rule is yet to be implemented.

Just to add ..... the requirement for health insurance only applies to Non-Immigrant 'O-X' applications.

Visas are only granted outside of Thailand  -  unless Thai Immigration decide otherwise.....

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick