{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: WiFi  (Read 12577 times)

Offline alans

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
WiFi
« on: July 07, 2019, 07:50:55 PM »
I am relocating from Bangkok to Satuek in early September and would like to find out what WiFi options are available in the village we are moving to, Ron Thong.  I am currently a customer of 3bb with a fiber service. I have been told they don't provide a service where we are going, at the moment and would appreciate suggestions, if anyone can help.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
Re: WiFi
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 08:10:55 PM »
I am relocating from Bangkok to Satuek in early September and would like to find out what WiFi options are available in the village we are moving to, Ron Thong.  I am currently a customer of 3bb with a fiber service. I have been told they don't provide a service where we are going, at the moment and would appreciate suggestions, if anyone can help.

You are near to Buriram airport there. Also a few schools, government buildings and private businesses. I'd be surprised if 3BB are not there.

You might want to try to apply and see what they say.

https://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/register?gclid=CjwKCAjwsIbpBRBNEiwAZF8-z6kuQmRTbvt8R6-oCLToWVYjbUX2QpDCFvIwxyPdfU5QMp8aYU8e8BoCyvMQAvD_BwE

Offline alans

• Contributor with future
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 08:23:06 PM »
Many thanks, again. I am really enjoying the help and advice from this group. It is really appreciated.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 06:59:53 AM »
I needed temporary wifi in a house for 2 months so I signed up for AIS unlimited 4G internet and then made my phone into a mobile hotspot.  The phone is simultaneously providing wifi to 2 PCs, 2 Tablets, 2 phones, and 2 smart TVs.  All for 700 baht a month which I consider cheap for what I am getting. 

I've seen youtube on 3 devices at once working fine.  Not sure how well it would support gaming as we don't use it for that. 

Downsides:

- if like me you are using your primary phone when you leave the home the wifi moves with the phone, and if no devices remain connected the mobile hotspot turn off. 

-  More power use of the phone.  So I leave my phone on a charger and am usually in another room so miss phone calls.

-  Streaming stopped when my daughter used my phone for some of her apps.  I told her to stop using my phone. 

So as a temporary measure while you investigate the best wifi solution for your area consider the mobile hotspot phone option. 

Offline Gerry

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 07:54:32 AM »
I needed temporary wifi in a house for 2 months so I signed up for AIS unlimited 4G internet and then made my phone into a mobile hotspot.  The phone is simultaneously providing wifi to 2 PCs, 2 Tablets, 2 phones, and 2 smart TVs.  All for 700 baht a month which I consider cheap for what I am getting. 

I've seen youtube on 3 devices at once working fine.  Not sure how well it would support gaming as we don't use it for that. 

Downsides:

- if like me you are using your primary phone when you leave the home the wifi moves with the phone, and if no devices remain connected the mobile hotspot turn off. 

-  More power use of the phone.  So I leave my phone on a charger and am usually in another room so miss phone calls.

-  Streaming stopped when my daughter used my phone for some of her apps.  I told her to stop using my phone. 

So as a temporary measure while you investigate the best wifi solution for your area consider the mobile hotspot phone option.

You must live quite near to Buriram centre.

At my wife's village, north of Buriram and about the same distance as Satuek but slightly west, the AIS internet was snails pace at best.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 08:36:24 AM »
When at the village ask around, the neighbors can tell you.

Even if 3BB is NOT available, most certainly TOT Fiber will be as even in our house in the Sticks TOT Fiber is available, as it's part of the plan of the government to have Internet in every village.

A good place to start and ask is the Village "Majors Office (Pooyaai Baan)" as usually there the Village Internet originates. To check if they have it, you start WIFI on your phone and see if the WIFI network "Thailand MDES" comes up.

https://netpracharat.com/Netpracharat_EN/one-page/

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 09:50:53 AM »
When at the village ask around, the neighbors can tell you.

Even if 3BB is NOT available, most certainly TOT Fiber will be as even in our house in the Sticks TOT Fiber is available, as it's part of the plan of the government to have Internet in every village.

A good place to start and ask is the Village "Majors Office (Pooyaai Baan)" as usually there the Village Internet originates. To check if they have it, you start WIFI on your phone and see if the WIFI network "Thailand MDES" comes up.

I'm not so sure that the village internet originates at Pooyaai Baan's house.

The internet comes in from the main road.

As an example, in our village the Pooyaai Baan's house is one of the furthest from the road. It certainly does not originate there. We don't have a junction box here in our village, the nearest  one is on the main road, but if we did I would imagine it would be somewhere near the centre of the village and therefore making it easy to run cable and every direction.

3BB are trying to get cable internet into every school. The village school would probably be the best place to ask.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »
I didn't say that it originates at his House, but at Village Major Office ;)

Sorry for the misunderstanding

Other word for it is I believe Sala Klang.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 02:59:56 PM »
We went to our Village house today, and we then also went to Sala Klang.

Here is what it looks like if you open the WIFI on your Phone and let it scan for networks (if you see this, then TOT Fiber is available in your area, but I believe it's limited to max 500 Meters from the Village Office (Sala Klang)

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 03:40:44 PM »

Here is what it looks like if you open the WIFI on your Phone and let it scan for networks (if you see this, then TOT Fiber is available in your area, but I believe it's limited to max 500 Meters from the Village Office (Sala Klang)

Actually "Sala Klang" means City Hall. You are referring to Sala Moo Baan.

At the same time, I have to say that this is the first time I have heard of internet being centred there. Not sure of the geography but maybe you are a long way from the  main road and need a dedicated terminal. I'm guessing also that the sala in your village is in a central position within the village. Ours is not and therefore would unlikely be used as a place to place the terminal as it would mean many houses on our side of the village would be a lot further away than those on the other side.

In our village, and many others that I have been to, the cables are simply run into the village and then a cable run into any home than subscribes.

The 500m limit I believe only effects the speed that you can get. We are more than 500m from the nearest box and therefor cannot be guaranteed 200/200.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:44:39 PM by Starman »

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 03:49:50 PM »

At the same time, I have to say that this is the first time I have heard of internet being centred at there. Not sure of the geography but maybe you are a long way from the  main road and need a dedicated terminal.

In our village, and many others that I have been to, the cables are simply run into the village and then a cable run into any home than subscribes.

The 500m limit I believe only effects the speed that you can get. We are more than 500m from the nearest box and therefor cannot be guaranteed 200/200.

I have been to several villages in the neighborhood and they have the same internet it all originates from there. (Please note our village is really in the sticks). People who live near the "Sala Moo Baan" are in luck as they have free Internet through the MDES WIfi)

200/200 forget it with that internet, I believe the max you can get with that internet is 50/20.

Funny story, when we just got that internet, every evening at around 7-8pm the internet used to stop working, after numerous complaints to TOT, they found out that the reason why the Internet stopped working was because the people who worked in the "Sala Moo Baan" turned off the Power and with that also the Internet when they went home ;)

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 04:08:55 PM »

At the same time, I have to say that this is the first time I have heard of internet being centred at there. Not sure of the geography but maybe you are a long way from the  main road and need a dedicated terminal.

I have been to several villages in the neighborhood and they have the same internet it all originates from there. (Please note our village is really in the sticks). People who live near the "Sala Moo Baan" are in luck as they have free Internet through the MDES WIfi)

200/200 forget it with that internet, I believe the max you can get with that internet is 50/20.

Funny story, when we just got that internet, every evening at around 7-8pm the internet used to stop working, after numerous complaints to TOT, they found out that the reason why the Internet stopped working was because the people who worked in the "Sala Moo Baan" turned off the Power and with that also the Internet when they went home ;)

If people working in the sala have the capability to turn off the internet then it is not an independent line and seems to be some kind of community network. That would explain why it is centred around the sala.  It would also explain the speed limitations.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »

If people working in the sala have the capability to turn off the internet then it is not an independent line and seems to be some kind of community network. That would explain why it is centred around the sala.  It would also explain the speed limitations.

True, it's this government initiative

(I posted the link previously)

I can't seem to find the original brochure, but the internet works, not that fast but it works. Previously we were on WiNet (18 meter high tower in the garden) but this Fiber is way faster and it beats using your Mobile Phone for Internet ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:19:53 PM by iammike »

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM