{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: 300 Baht fine per passenger for not wearing seatbelt  (Read 4841 times)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
300 Baht fine per passenger for not wearing seatbelt
« on: June 30, 2019, 05:10:01 PM »

It seems that police checkpoints can start checking for seatbelt use.  A group of 6 rented a van to visit a temple, they were stopped by the BIB and all passengers ordered out and were subject to a 300 baht per person fine for not wearing a seatbelt.   They negotiated so only 2 of the 6 received tickets.  If the driver tells passengers they need to wear seatbelts and they don't than the passengers are responsible. 

And yes the got real tickets. 

So be warned and have seatbelts on, especially when at a checkpoint. 

Offline Wozza

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: 300 Baht fine per passenger for not wearing seatbelt
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 08:58:35 PM »
Good! If someone in my car doesn't  put a belt on I dont move until they do. 

Offline Gerry

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:00:23 AM »
This is not a new thing. It must be at least 6 years ago that someone in a car I was driving got fined for no seat belt. That was at a police check near to the large roundabout with the monument.

Offline Geertg

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 10:54:24 AM »
What will they do with the passengers in de back of a pickup? They never wear seatbelts.

Offline Smithy

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 11:44:59 AM »
I remember getting stopped at a local Police Road Block many years ago and they wanted to fine my Wife for not having her seatbelt on.  angry1
I pointed out that the Pick-up Truck in-front of us they had just pulled over and let go had 12-15 kids in the back (  coming home from school ) and if safety was the issue then didn't they think stopping that practice would be far more beneficial in stopping road deaths than the odd person not wearing a seatbelt. blink1
They waved us through after my wife buckled her seatbelt up    biggrin1

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 12:09:29 PM »
Why do people need to be aware of a law that they should abide by, and a possible fine, instead of just thinking about their own safety?

I always wear a seat belt and anyone else that is in the car has to wear one too. If there is someone that says they don't want to buckle up,they can walk.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 12:28:15 PM »
The target of the incident was a rental van.  Seatbelts are often hidden (or missing) in these vans, taxis, tuk tuks, buses, etc, and from what I have seen passengers do not use.  It is not an issue for my vehicle as we use the seatbelts and the hundreds of times I've been stopped at Thai police checkpoints the seatbelt issue never came up (maybe because everyone had theirs on). 

Offline olavhome

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 01:34:57 PM »
It is smart using seat belts for your own safety.
Specially in Thailand :-)
Saving thb 300 should not be the most important issue :-)

Offline PolarAttack

• YouTube Link
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 03:23:29 PM »
What will they do with the passengers in de back of a pickup? They never wear seatbelts.
I remember reading that if its during Songkran - its ok. Its like an exception  :D also, if you need to take your kids to school - it was something like that.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 04:24:02 PM »
I remember reading that if its during Songkran - its ok. Its like an exception  :D also, if you need to take your kids to school - it was something like that.

I believe the general rule was scrapped. Now it's OK, allegedly, if there are bars running down the side of the pick up above head height.

Offline Kawa

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 04:24:27 PM »
A law is a law and its been around since ive been here.
Chosen to be ignored by the chosen few with innocent ignorance in most cases.

A few years ago my old company had a large project ,where the field staff were transported from accommodation to site by mini vans, cheap and affordable and ensured good time keeping.
But one day the front driver fell asleep at the wheel, veered off the highway ,woke up ,overcorrected and rolled the van, the second van plowed into the side of the van....then rolled.
26 field staff injured with 6 seriously hospitalised
4 people were wearing seatbelts
Luckily no dead .
98% of our project staff out of action.

2 weeks after in another country another no seat belt incident resulted in 14 deaths ,apparently that company folded.

Im not going into the investigation ,but many seatbelts in the 3 vehicles were missing/ out of order / not worn.

This is a drivers responsibility to ensure in my opinion.

Thailand ,well how many your school kids get transported in the back of a pick up to the various functions they attend and by teachers also? May be you dont care as your neighbor does it!
Or when stopped you complain about the pick up in front not having seat belts on and your getting fined.
Look at it another way that they stop you and fine you for speeding/ not wearing seatbelts because you are worth more and in the opinion of the BIB you should be setting an example.

If you cant pay the fine and cant accept the probability of what will eventually  happen ,.... ....... ... ... .... ... .

My view.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 10:26:53 PM »
Kawa. It?s great that you have such a positive view on life but I?m not buying that the BIB think we are worth more and that they view that we should be setting* the example. unless of course you mean worth more money.

I always wear my belt so not an issue but the law should apply to all regardless. I?d also argue that it is the host country that should set the example.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick