{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Thai culture vs Farang culture.  (Read 34534 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Thai culture vs Farang culture.
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:37:12 PM »
A story:

I was very surprised to talk with a farmer lately and he said he just made 9000 Baht from working 2 weeks in rubber farm (As a worker, not owner), This said of course without knowing how often he get this kind of income.....once a month? every 1.5 months? I'm not sure about the full details but it sounds like a good job for a farmer with no farm of his own...
sawadi
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:13:20 PM by Admin »

Offline rufusredtail

• Reliable reporter with future.
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Thai culture vs Farang culture.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:50:23 PM »
Interesting , the Thais do earn less, but from been there , i think they are more happier, than pepole where i live , many here have  cars , houses , etc , but they don't even know the neighbour  two doors up, where as living in a village in Thailand , is entirely different , many help in the community to get things done , i was very surprised to attend a funeral , recently in Thailand , it really was a happy occasion at times and went on for 3. to 4 days , western , sad , all over in matter of hours, so i take my hat off to the Thais .

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:03:28 PM »
i was very surprised to attend a funeral , recently in Thailand , it really was a happy occasion at times and went on for 3. to 4 days , western , sad , all over in matter of hours, so i take my hat off to the Thais .

Off topic, but I really wonder whether a funeral should be the happy occasion that the Thai's
make it with drinking and gambling over a 3/4 day period. Not much respect is shown to the deceased!

manupete

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:09:58 PM »
i was very surprised to attend a funeral , recently in Thailand , it really was a happy occasion at times and went on for 3. to 4 days , western , sad , all over in matter of hours, so i take my hat off to the Thais .

Off topic, but I really wonder whether a funeral should be the happy occasion that the Thai's
make it with drinking and gambling over a 3/4 day period. Not much respect is shown to the deceased!

I thought rufusredtail post would get you going Nick  wildman redman

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 07:12:22 PM »
Just a passing comment Manu.  You know me too well! Not going to get drawn in.

Offline rufusredtail

• Reliable reporter with future.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 07:19:14 PM »
This may be so chaps, once again i am only expression an opinion, of what happened to me ,  i went to a wedding , now theres something for you , had a great time , admittedly most drink , whisky is a problem , but NO RED WINE of any sort , but everybody happy , western happy as well , but Thais do it a little different .

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »
The Thai way for most things is different from the West. Initially it is a novelty, but after time you tend to see through it, and wonder why they do what they do.

But it is their country, their customs and culture, so we must accept if we are to stay here. I prefer to keep out of the way as much as possible.

manupete

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »
The Thai way for most things is different from the West. Initially it is a novelty, but after time you tend to see through it, and wonder why they do what they do.

But it is their country, their customs and culture, so we must accept if we are to stay here. I prefer to keep out of the way as much as possible.
I'm the same as Nick...at first you try and be part of the village community then after a few years you realise it doesn't matter how hard you try to fit in you will always be the farang in the village( after 7 years some of the locals now call me koon Alan  thumbup ).Now I seldom go to funerals or weddings or ( as this is a thread about movies ) the movies they put on a year after a funeral that goes on all-night and keeps you awake  steamingMad

den Buut

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 10:28:54 PM »
I'm the same as Nick...at first you try and be part of the village community then after a few years you realise it doesn't matter how hard you try to fit in you will always be the farang in the village( after 7 years some of the locals now call me koon Alan  thumbup ).Now I seldom go to funerals or weddings or ( as this is a thread about movies ) the movies they put on a year after a funeral that goes on all-night and keeps you awake  steamingMad

What's wrong with "being the farang", you are, aren't you? You have to adjust to their customs but do that without losing yourself and I don't see a problem in that. sawadi
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:08:15 PM by Admin »

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 02:07:45 AM »

What's wrong with "being the farang", you are, aren't you? You have to adjust to their customs but do that without losing yourself and I don't see a problem in that. sawadi

Good post DB.

... and good to see Nick not getting drawn in   :D

(red rag to a bull ! - don't for Buddha's sake get him started on sin sod).

Offline wolfman

• Contributor with future
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 08:24:07 AM »

True.
But the problem is too often you're seen as a 'farang' when you just want to be seen as a 'person'.
Although this goes both ways too. While I've had some frustrating experiences, I've also had Thais go miles out of their way to help me, simply because I'm foreign

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 12:09:48 PM »

True.
But the problem is too often you're seen as a 'farang' when you just want to be seen as a 'person'.
Although this goes both ways too. While I've had some frustrating experiences, I've also had Thais go miles out of their way to help me, simply because I'm foreign
Good point wolfman. sawadi

manupete

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 02:06:40 PM »

True.
Good point wolfman. sawadi
smilenod

den Buut

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 03:09:30 PM »
I think Wolfman should come out of his dreamworld, nobody is seen as a person, or it is in work or bussiness everybody judges everybody by their looks. Even people that say they don't do so.
A black man is seen as a black man, a white man is seen as a white man. That's not racism, just plane realism. ( I think we should start a new topic, this has nothing to do about cinema tickets) sawadi

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 03:16:03 PM »
I think Wolfman should come out of his dreamworld, nobody is seen as a person, or it is in work or bussiness everybody judges everybody by their looks. Even people that say they don't do so.
A black man is seen as a black man, a white man is seen as a white man. That's not racism, just plane realism. ( I think we should start a new topic, this has nothing to do about cinema tickets) sawadi
Done. love5

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM