{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Farang Food Minimart Idea?  (Read 14297 times)

Offline krasangchris

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Farang Food Minimart Idea?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »
Guys -
           More about the proposed Krasang minimart. Issan girl's family now works a "stall
style" market 7 days a week. Seems like they have done this forever - but I really don't
know how long. Not that this means they have business sense. Sometimes they make
mistakes about what will be a big seller (and end up eating alot of home meals that are
much the "same/same"). But they do work long hard hours daily.
           Minimart would be Thai based (although a "western section" could help). Family
has a small piece of land (lot size) on which to build. I am not really sure that the location
is good. Seems a little bit too far out of town. Nothing would be sadder than a shop
without customers. Not looking to be another Tesco here, but something for her to have
as her own, keep her busy (and out of trouble), and provide a small income. This would
also leave her with something when I'm gone.

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 11:01:21 PM »
Chris,

I admire your enthusiasm and understand your motives.

My advice would be to take your time and look around 'absorbing' the details of businesses already established and considering what market you want to aim for (and what market actually exists)

"Monkey See, Monkey Do" is a common failing in Thailand, I would implore you to avoid making the same mistake.

manupete

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 11:11:55 PM »
Agree with all Coffeecorner says,as I have said before location and customer base is the key.Like you say"Nothing would be sadder than a shop without customers".I think deep down you know the answer.Hope it works out for you and wish you the best of luck. ;D

Dave the Dude

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2011, 07:23:41 AM »
Chris, I had the same view as you and would suggest the possibility of them getting a small loan to start the business, not from you or the chinese loan sharks, just something to tie them into the project and give them some responsibility/drive and COMMITMENT.

I know a few farangs in Krasang and farang bar/restaurant owners past and present. There is not a large number of Farangs around there and some are only seasonal visitors, so I would suggest not spending too much money initially until you know the expected 'foot-flow' figures. As I have already suggested, I recommend meeting David, he will give you good advice and KNOWS the location well.

You need to do the groundwork yourself, its the only way.

Good Luck

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2011, 09:34:17 AM »
I'm Sorry,but what CC says is 'bang on',,,,Chris,You seem to have your head in the clouds & will come down to earth when its too late

Offline krasangchris

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 11:09:58 PM »
Guys -
          Wish to thank the members for their advice and input. Nothing like "been there/
done that " to put things in perspective. I am in Canada now, and will have to give a
longer look next time back. Will let you know if something developes. Again, glad to
have found Buriranexpats.com.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 07:46:16 AM »
Best of luck Chris

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod