{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Movies reviews.  (Read 68639 times)

boloa

Re: Movies reviews.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
As nobody is coming up with any good suggestions , I found a 2009 film I had missed called "The Tournament" ........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tournament_(film)

The Tournament - a deadly game played out every 7 years, where the world's richest people put 30 of the world's deadliest assassins in an out of the way exotic town, and bet on who will be the last man (or woman) standing.This time is Middlesbrough.   :D The Tournament is one of those fun trashy movies that hits the action spot very nicely,the movie has a subplot where Joshua Harlow wife ( Ving Rhames's,Marsellus Wallace from Pulp Fiction ) has been killed, and he's there for revenge.So what now follows is a Battle Royal kill fest, and boy do we have some brutal and bloody kills, the film makers were smart to even throw in some nudity...and hey presto we have another trashy exploitation movie, but this one kinda rocks, it will remind you of other movies you have seen...like Battle Royal, The Running Man, and even Gamer, so don't expect anything original but there are some nice set pieces, blood gets splattered all over the place and oh... did i even mention that there is some nudity and pole dancing   thumbup
Also stars Robert Carlyle as a Alcoholic Priest that gets caught up in all the action by accident and Kelly Hu ( icon_heart ) plays the hot Asian female assassin. :biggrin:
The next movie I will be reviewing is  The Season of the Witch,another film with Nicolas Cage thumbup

Dave the Dude

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 03:22:35 PM »
I didnt think Drive Crazy was that good. Its very 1970's and a bit in the style of Machete.
Season of the Witch was disapointing, I thought.

Offline garytaffy

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 07:37:44 AM »
just been to see " unknown" which was watchable. next week i will see " the Eagle" a roman Britain action film.

boloa

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 09:52:39 AM »
just been to see " unknown" which was watchable. next week i will see " the Eagle" a roman Britain action film.

I watched The Eagle a while back when it was a sponsor for UFC 125. The copy I had was poor( people walking past the screen  ::)) but I felt the movie was lacking.Nobody looked Roman ,the hero has a terrible leg injury but never limps and his  poor slave looks like a cage fighter   whistle and the movie just didn't feel right to me.Some good action scenes but I found Centurion a much better film but as David has proved ,we all view things differently  and you may enjoy The Eagle.
Happy viewing  :biggrin:

Dave the Dude

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »
Very true Alan. Its funny because a friend just recommended "The Eagle".
We will see!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:03:07 PM by Admin »

Dave the Dude

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 03:49:05 PM »
Have to agree with you on 'The Eagle' as I am sure you will with me on the remake of' I Spit on your Grave'

A remake of the controversial 1979 cult classic, I Spit on Your Grave retells the horrific tale of writer Jennifer Hills, who takes a retreat from the city to a charming cabin in the woods to start on her next book. But Jennifer's presence in the small town attracts the attention of a few morally deprived locals who set out one night to teach this city girl a lesson. They break into her cabin to scare her. However, what starts out as terrifying acts of humiliation and intimidation, quickly and uncontrollably escalates into a night of physical abuse and torturous assault. But before they can kill her, Jennifer sacrifices her broken and beaten body to a raging river that washes her away. As time passes, the men slowly stop searching for her body and try to go back to life as usual. But that isn't about to happen. Against all odds, Jennifer Hills survived her ordeal. Now, with hell bent vengeance, Jennifer's sole purpose is to turn the tables on these animals and to inflict upon them every horrifying and torturous moment they carried out on her... only much, much worse.

boloa

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 07:09:58 PM »
Have to agree with you on 'The Eagle' as I am sure you will with me on the remake of' I Spit on your Grave'
As you seem to be an avid reader of IMDb like me ,I have noted the original only gets 5.2/10 whilst the new remake gets a 6.3/10   :blink: .Maybe I will try this next as I can't find anything else better to watch but I think I will eat my Tea first before watching this one  :laugh: .
Thanks for the heads up David . thumbup

Dave the Dude

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »
Sorry I have no idea what IMDb is Alan. I just pick up recommendations from the many papers I read.

What is IMDB

boloa

Dave the Dude

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 07:49:41 PM »
Thanks Alian. Saved to favs!

boloa

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 04:00:07 PM »
Season of the witch .......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season_of_the_Witch_(2011_film)

This is the best monster movie I've seen in years.( but it is only March  ::) ) It begins a bit like  "Witchfinder General" with the similar execution of suspected witches, but with a twist. This film is a buddy movie with Nick Cage and Ron Perlman( Son's of Anarchy ) as Crusade soldiers killing in the name of the Lord. After quitting the holy wars in disgust, they learn of a plague killing the good people. The two are captured and jailed as deserters, then taken to the Cardinal (Christopher Lee,yes it was him  :ohmy:) who offers them a reprieve if they transport a suspected witch to trial. They learn that this supposed witch-babe( played by Claire Foy ) is actually possessed by a demon that is causing the plague. The final showdown is a real hoot. Cage and Perlman play this with a sly sense of humor.  The FX are great. A very cool horror/Adventure film,so if you wanna see a fun yet dark heroic adventure, I would recomend  Season of the Witch! , :biggrin: 8/10

I decided to put 'I spit on your Grave' on hold for a few days as I'm a bit bored with blood and guts,so I will be reviewing 'The Ghost Writer' next which stars Ewan McGregor as a ghostwriter who is hired to complete the memoirs of a former British prime minister only to uncovers secrets that put his own life in jeopardy. :o
This one sounds just my cup of tea  thumbup

boloa

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 04:31:30 PM »
Thanks Alian. Saved to favs!

Yes a it's a good site David......http://www.imdb.com/

Give you the list's of latest news from the Box Office,Whats Opening This Week,Whats Coming Soon and a whole lot more  thumbup

Offline garytaffy

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 06:19:08 AM »
Just seen Battle Los Angeles..........plenty of action again another 3D option. On the whole not that impressed though it killed an hour and a half or so.

boloa

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 10:05:14 PM »
I will be reviewing 'The Ghost Writer' next which stars Ewan McGregor
The Ghost Writer......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_Writer_(film)

Well I've been out all day and I was looking forward to pulling up my easy chair,opening up the pop-corn  party15  and enjoying a good old suspense/thriller for a change instead of the action and blood and guts of the last few movies I had seen lately. I had read so many good things about this movie but to be honest I did find it a bit slow but then intriguing at the same time .I think the script was well-written and the story was well acted. Perhaps we are accustomed to too many special effects and bombs, etc. Ewan MacGregor is a fine actor and he was convincing as a writer who did not want to do this particular job. Then as he got sucked into the situation he becomes afraid. But you just don't feel drawn into it all. This is supposed to be a psychological thriller, but I did not feel that way at all during the entire film. I think what happens in this movie is that you get a little taste of the suspense. You think it's going to really grow and get exciting, but it sort of dies on the vine. Even though this Polanski  movie gets rave review's I can now understand why it made a fraction of what it cost to make.  smilenod 6/10

Dave the Dude

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 10:41:55 PM »
Saw a bad camcorder copy of Paul but although a bad copy, this is quite a funny british film. Its about 2 English sci-fi nerds who go on a road trip across USA and meet an Alian. 7/10  

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Dentist by Thai Bart
June 06, 2024, 06:56:48 PM

Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod