{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Satelite Dish for Internet  (Read 10327 times)

Offline claus31130

• Contributor with future
    • Nielsen's Danish Website about Farming in Thailand
Satelite Dish for Internet
« on: November 10, 2008, 04:56:29 PM »
Hi to all of u

Well me living outhere in a little village,my options for a "decent" internet connection was to go with TOT's IpStar system, I had the 1024/512 package which cost just around 2800 baht each month included 7% Vat .......
In my opinion it works quite ok,I can get in touch with my friends and family over skype/msn,download updates and other things  :-X So all in all I am satisfied with my connection,though sometimes it has to be restarted in order to get some descent speed...
The only downside I can say about it,is that we ordered a landline phone at the same time....the extract the phoneline from the sattelite system and the calling quality has always been rather poor
Anyone else have experience with IpStar

Claus

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Re: Satelite Dish for Internet
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 08:22:57 PM »
Thats a very good question.
And I say,if its works don't fix it. especially here and more importantly if you're located in the village.

confused5

Offline tonin

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 06:01:51 AM »
Hello Claus,

I'm looking at setting up internet access for my girlfriend in Nong Ki. Would you happen to know what local TOT number I would need to call in order to see if a similar set up as yours is feasible?

Thanks.

Tonin.

Lourens

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:57:59 AM »
I read somewhere that Thailand will soon get a 3G network for mobile phone connections. Does anyone have the latest news on this? I'm using a 3G connection right now in another country and it works perfectly with a very fast (7.2Kbps) speed. DTAC also offers GPRS internet but I think it only works on your mobile phone. Anyone know if it can be connected to a laptop with a dongle modem and what setup will be needed? Things like APN and and the number to dail? I tried to find that out the last time I was in Buriram but had great difficulty explaining in my limited Thai what it was that I wanted. In fact, the guy sold me an activated post paid Internet SIM card without getting any of my details which means I can make calls and DTAC don't know where to send the bill! (This is Thailand)

Lourens

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:13:23 AM »
Sorry, I meant 7.2Mbps

Offline pormax

• http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 07:57:53 PM »
I have read the articles about internet connection if one lives in a remote village and because the signal strength on AIS & DTEC phone sims are very poor (maximum 2 bar strength, (sometimes nothing if move a couple of metres) then using a Dongle is useless. No chance of getting a landline because none anywhere near where I live. I have heard whispers about using a dish but cannot get sufficient information as to who to contact, who supplies, the cost etc. If the speed is any good for using Skype video. Anyone out there using a dish for satelite internet that can help me. I live in Khoktoom about 20 kms from Prackonchai. Apparently local schools and Temples use dishes for internet.

boloa

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 09:16:31 PM »
I think you are thinking of IPStar ,now replaced by CAT-CDMA smilenod
Here's a link to Thai visa which will give you the info you are looking for ...I think  :biggrin:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/220231-cat-cdma-load-balancing-replacing-ipstar-satellite-internet/

I think CAT-CDMA is your only option......I use 12call 695 baht a month ( telepnone as a modem ) speed is slow but I download things ( Not movies  ::) ::)) which takes about a day and have no problems.I've looked into CAT but I'm not prepared to pay silly money for a cheap dongle .12call is OK for me  :biggrin:

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com

Offline Adam

• Active member on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 04:08:15 AM »
I use a satellite for internet at home in a village, it is IPSTAR by a company called CS Loxinfo.

Works OK, I have not the cheapest, but one speed up (cant remember the speed as I'm not home at the moment), but if you want to pay silly money 6000baht per month it is very fast (they gave me a free 3 day trial).

Got the dish installed by a shop in Prasat, but now pay for internet annually direct to CS Loxinfo, as I used to pay to the shop, but they didn't always pay on time and the internet would get cut off!

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick