{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Japanese GP Fuji  (Read 7545 times)

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
Japanese GP Fuji
« on: October 11, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »
Hi F1 fans

Following practice and qualifying sessions my take on the situation is .. Raikkonen on front row first time since French GP = low fuel load and spoiling tactics by Ferrari, Alonso running on fumes usual Renault tactic of late which has occasionally paid off.

Massa, Hamilton & Kovalainen all on similar fuel strategy, with Massa just not getting in the groove and with Kubica and the on form Toyotas breathing down his neck. However all above scenarios must favour McLaren who must be reasonably content with life at the moment whether it stays dry or rains.

With the pressure now on Ferrari in a big way look forward to some more crazy antics. confused3

Roll on the race!

TBWG  sawadi

Now perhaps some other member has a different view and will post something, one lives in hope tired1

Lourens

Re: Japanese GP Fuji
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 05:04:39 PM »
I would love to see the Toyotas getting a win. Especialy in Japan. Maybe now their three year plan from five years ago will come together. I must admit that I am a Ferrari fan and I will still root for the team but young Hamilton is another phenomenon. Wouldn't it be something if he could take the drivers championship in only his second year?

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 01:57:08 PM »

Well what can one say, Hamilton made a hash of the start and it all went downhill from there. McLaren must be shell shocked  from hero to zero could not be more true! confused4

Renault's Fernando Alonso took a superb victory in the Japanese Grand Prix as title rivals Lewis Hamilton and Felipe Massa collided in a dramatic race.

Hamilton made a poor start, ran off the road at the first corner and was tipped into a spin by Massa on lap two.

Both were given penalties for different incidents but Massa recovered to take eighth and cut Hamilton's lead to six points with two races left.

Hamilton, his car damaged by Massa, was 12th and out of the points.

The Englishman is still in a strong position but will have to cut out the mistakes that have characterised his season if he is not to lose the championship for the second year in a row.

Massa is not Hamilton's only title rival. BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica is 12 points off the lead and cannot be ruled out.

Hamilton's problems began at the very start of the race as he got off the line slowly from pole position in his McLaren and then went too far in trying to make amends at the first corner.

He left his braking too late trying to prevent Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen taking the lead and, with smoke pouring from his locked tyres, took both of them off the track.

The move would earn Hamilton a penalty for forcing another car off the track, but it also demoted him to sixth place, right behind Massa.

The Englishman tried to pass the Ferrari into the Turn 10/11 chicane on the second lap and the two cars ended up colliding.

Massa left his braking too late trying to fend Hamilton off into the initial right-hand part of the corner.

That put him off line on the outside and, trying to retain the place, he dived over the kerbs through the left-handed part and tipped Hamilton into a spin as he rejoined the track.

Hamilton had to sit and wait for the entire field to pass before he could rejoin the race, and he immediately called into the pits for new tyres to replace the ones he had badly flat-spotted at the first corner.

Massa was given his own penalty for causing that collision, and, once they had taken their drive-throughs, the two title rivals ended up at the back of the field - with Massa a few seconds ahead.

Hamilton made a mess of the start and was penalised for this move on Raikkonen

The chaos among the drivers of the leading teams left Kubica in the lead but he lost it to Alonso when the Spaniard made his first pit stop a lap later than the Pole.

Alonso said he asked the team to get him out in front of Kubica but doing so meant he had four laps' less fuel than the BMW for the middle stint of the race.

The team lost no time in telling Alonso that he had to "sprint like hell" to win the race.

The double world champion did exactly that, pulling out a lead of more than 12 seconds in his 25-lap second stint.

That put him completely out of Kubica's reach, and the BMW driver was left to fend off Raikkonen.

It was one of the Spaniard's greatest races and secured him and Renault an unexpected second win in a row.

"We were second when we stopped for the first time and I wanted to exit the pits in front of Robert," Alonso said.

"So they had to put less fuel in. I had to open the gap and the car was perfect and I was able to.

"It's difficult to believe as the Singapore win was completely unexpected.

"We had special conditions there with the safety car but today we had nothing and we won again at a circuit which is not good for our [car's] characteristics.

"I cannot believe it right now and back-to-back wins is a great feeling. It is completely amazing."

Raikkonen drove a race that has become typical of him this season - he was anonymous until the final pit stops and then came alive.

The world champion rejoined from his final stop just behind Kubica but, although he pressured the BMW hard for the next few laps, the Pole was able to fend him off and eventually build a small cushion for the last few laps.

Nelson Piquet finished fourth for Renault, with Toyota's Jarno Trulli, the Toro Rossos of Sebastien Bourdais and Sebastian Vettel and Massa taking the remaining points positions.

Massa, the fastest man on the track in the closing stages of the race, lost ground with a spin while trying to pass Bourdais but recovered to grab eighth from Red Bull's Mark Webber on the penultimate lap.

Provisional result of Japanese Grand Prix:

1 Fernando Alonso (Spa) Renault one hour
2 Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 5.2 seconds behind
3 Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari at 6.4secs
4 Nelson Piquet (Brz) Renault at 20.5secs
5 Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota at 23.7secs
6 Sebastien Bourdais (Fra) Toro Rosso-Ferrari at 34.0secs
7 Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Toro Rosso-Ferrari at 39.2secs
8 Felipe Massa (Brz) Ferrari at 46.1secs
9 Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull-Renault at 50.8secs
10 Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber at 54.1secs
11 Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams-Toyota at 1:02
12 Lewis Hamilton (GB) McLaren-Mercedes at 1:18.9secs
13. Rubens Barrichello (Brz) Honda one lap behind
14. Jenson Button (GB) Honda at one lap
15. Kazuki Nakajima (Jpn) Williams-Toyota at 1 lap
R Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Force India-Ferrari 22 laps
R Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) McLaren-Mercedes 16 laps
R Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India-Ferrari 8 laps
R Timo Glock (Ger) Force India-Ferrari 6 laps
R David Coulthard (GB) Red Bull-Renault 0 laps

TBWG sawadi

Lourens

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 02:12:25 PM »
Thanks TBWG. That was a great report. At least both the Ferrari's finished in the points. That puts them in front in the constructors championship right?

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 03:32:48 PM »

Yes Lourens .. Ferrari now head the constructors championship

However, I do despair, why I continue to follow F1 I do not know. Mosley maintains that the FIA/stewards are entirely impartial, well whether you agree with him is another matter but certainly some of the decisions seem rather odd.

Bourdais exits pits has no option but to stick to inside line and get up to speed ASAP. Massa dicing for 8th place with no other cars in sight has the entire width of the track at his disposal and decides that the Torro Rosso is invisible and wants the same piece of track, with the inevitable consequences.

Result Bourdais gets a 25 sec penalty and Massa gains another place an hour after the race has finished. Another decision which is hardly likely to convince the fans of impartiality. confused1

As Brundle commented on ITV the nanny state has now taken over F1 and drivers will be afraid to do get near another car for fear of falling foul of another irrational decision.

Having got that off my chest I think I'll now go and have a lie down.

TBWG sawadi

Lourens

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 03:51:16 PM »
It's strange how these things work out. After the night GP in Singapore, Montezemulo remarked that it was a circus event to which Mosely replied: "If it was a circus, Ferrari supplied the clowns!"

I thought there was no love lost between them but now Ferrari got the advantage. Strange circus this F1 is.

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 12:10:15 AM »
It's strange how these things work out. After the night GP in Singapore, Montezemulo remarked that it was a circus event to which Mosely replied: "If it was a circus, Ferrari supplied the clowns!"

I thought there was no love lost between them but now Ferrari got the advantage. Strange circus this F1 is.

Hi Lourens

Think you will find it was Bernie Ecclestone who made the clowns remark.  He is not in Ferraris pocket quite as much as spanker Max character5

TBWG sawadi

Lourens

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
Oh! Sorry - my fault  :blush:

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM