{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Solar Powered Roof Attic Exhaust Fan Tested in Buriram Thailand  (Read 11998 times)

Offline Ahab

• Active member on the right way
  • Mostly right, just ask me
Re: Solar Powered Roof Attic Exhaust Fan Tested in Buriram Thailand
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 05:28:22 PM »
Thanks Ahab, some very useful advice here.  I did wonder why, when the Oz govt began their disastrous loft insulation scheme the colder states were supplied with Rockwool and Queensland used tin foil.  Our existing farm buildings have silver colorbond but if white is best, so be it.  Regards sound insulation you will probably agree the monsoon can get very noisy, add to that noisy dogs and chickens.  Some peace and quiet would be nice.  I would definitely like to visit your build site.  Another guy on this site lives near you, BillH52, perhaps I can arrange a meeting there same day. 
I am here now after 14 years of visits to wife's village on a long term visa and in the business of making  friends.
We just moved here permanent as well (after 25 years of visiting). Send me a PM and I will send you my phone number. We are around nearly everyday.

Roy

Offline Ahab

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »
Thanks Ahab, some very useful advice here.  I did wonder why, when the Oz govt began their disastrous loft insulation scheme the colder states were supplied with Rockwool and Queensland used tin foil.  Our existing farm buildings have silver colorbond but if white is best, so be it.  Regards sound insulation you will probably agree the monsoon can get very noisy, add to that noisy dogs and chickens.  Some peace and quiet would be nice.  I would definitely like to visit your build site.  Another guy on this site lives near you, BillH52, perhaps I can arrange a meeting there same day. 
I am here now after 14 years of visits to wife's village on a long term visa and in the business of making  friends.

Also the foam (thin) and foil that is bonded to the Colorbond during the manufacturing process reportedly dampens the sound of the rain considerably. I myself like the sound of rain on a metal roof.

Offline Pichai

• Reliable reporter on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 06:01:44 PM »
Attached are photos of eave airflow. Could be fiber cement roof tiles | concrete roof tiles | slate tiles | terracotta roof tiles or the thicker BlueScope Metal roof. These photos show how air can come in under the eaves. With insect screening to prevent insects.

Offline nanglong218

• Contributor with future
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »
Very smart it looks Mr Pichai, keep bringing the ideas on.

Offline nanglong218

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 06:33:59 PM »
Reply to Oily, I had considered a concrete slab base but now, if the floor gets so hot, to raise the living and sleeping area on short concrete posts to allow air circulation. We are above flood level so not essential.
When we arrived here in Feb '17 we stayed at the wife's sister's house, typical Thai oven, cheap construction, concrete, no insulation, no ventilation.  3 fans on the go, still too hot to sleep. All advice and experience will be warmly welcomed.

Offline Oily

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 01:07:42 PM »
Inside my house is still only 26 degrees no aircon going .only have one in bedroom that was turned off at 5 am.  Extractor cools the rest of house very cheap it's now 1 pm

Offline fishy

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 07:44:45 PM »
Does the extractor fan fit roofs that are corrugated...I'm not a builder....the roof I have I think is a Kliplok design and wondering how you get water tight integrity without using shit loads of silicon glue...?   

Offline Oily

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 09:54:57 PM »

The exstracter is in the kitchen placed as high as it will go . I just turn it on when it is cooler outside and leave it running all night . Turn off when I get up . In the coldest time of the year my house is colder than the bedroom in the morning. We sleep at 25 degrees.   

Offline Ahab

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 07:45:01 AM »
The silver is the cheapest and that it is why it is commonly used here in Thailand (and likely the reason it is used on farm outbuildings in Australia). Painting the house a light color is also a good idea, and there are paints available here in Thailand that act as a radiant barrier to keep the heat out of the walls. Many ways to keep your house cooler, it just takes some preplanning prior to construction beginning.

Offline Phantom

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 07:49:24 PM »

Hi Oily,
Definitely like your idea bringing cool air in at night. Any chance of photos or specs of it. Interested in what power rating it would be and where to buy one.

Offline nanglong218

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 11:32:59 PM »
Reply to Oily, I had considered a concrete slab base but now, if the floor gets so hot, to raise the living and sleeping area on short concrete posts to allow air circulation. We are above flood level so not essential.
When we arrived here in Feb '17 we stayed at the wife's sister's house, typical Thai oven, cheap construction, concrete, no insulation, no ventilation.  3 fans on the go, still too hot to sleep. All advice and experience will be warmly welcomed.

An Australian friend has knocked back my idea of a house on short stilts. Apparently it just creates a no-go zone and perfect home for snakes and other undesirables.  So a slab it's going to be.  Does your kitchen have a ceiling or is it open to the roof beams? It's not clear from your description.  I'm building a sectional house so less worried about the kitchen more the small living zone and larger sleeping etc area.  25c sounds very acceptable.

Offline Oily

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »
We use aircon to sleep about 9 months of the year . Our bedroom gets the afternoon sun  . Especially in the summer months 43 degrees outside and only drops to 26 at night  . House will only cool down to 27 in the morning.
It is 12 inch kitchen exstracter ran set as high as it will go . Kitchen is part of house .I leave the door to the lounge open . Doors and windows are not airtight so the outside air mostly comes in around patio doors .

Offline nanglong218

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »
We use aircon to sleep about 9 months of the year . Our bedroom gets the afternoon sun  . Especially in the summer months 43 degrees outside and only drops to 26 at night  . House will only cool down to 27 in the morning.
It is 12 inch kitchen exstracter ran set as high as it will go . Kitchen is part of house .I leave the door to the lounge open . Doors and windows are not airtight so the outside air mostly comes in around patio doors .

Time to shade that side of the house. In Oz they use what I would call a shop blind, pull down when day is hottest.
If your house is concrete you need a barrier between walls/windows and sun.  Concrete stores heat wonderfully.
On a hot day in Melbourne we would close the house down, shut doors,close the curtains. When cooler in the afternoon I would spray the black concrete roof tiles with the garden hose to draw the heat and cool by evaporation.   

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Dentist by Thai Bart
June 13, 2024, 11:34:50 AM

Re: House moving by Gerry
June 11, 2024, 03:39:27 PM

House moving by GEOFFREY
June 11, 2024, 01:51:03 AM

Re: Dentist by dundeemk6
June 09, 2024, 03:49:48 PM

Re: Dentist by Thai Bart